The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Using the NATO socket to power equipment - This is how it works.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
Its aggravating that Ineos has done very silly nanny things like this that I have never heard of.
Specifically not winching in park is the accepted and taught best practice from the I4WDTA, so it would seem logical that a vehicle manufacturer follows those guidelines

If it really bothers you that much, it isn't the hardest thing in the world to bypass the logic relay

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
Truly a reassembly PITA. @nodric thank you for the hints!
Nice write up @nodric. That is exactly the same use case I use the NATO for.

In my case I made a NATO plug to 50amp Anderson plug adaptor and converted the lead on my old Thomas Blue Tongue compressor to an Anderson plug. If I need to connect the pump directly to the battery I use an Anderson battery clamp adaptor.

Cheers
Steve
I did the same, making a pigtail set with Anderson to NATO, Anderson to Alligator clips, Anderson to cigarette lighter. Thanks to all who’ve ventured before—-

Local time
Reaction score
You should 100% absolutely NEVER be in park to winch. Be in reverse or drive with your foot on the brake. Being up against the parking pall is a recipe for disaster; not to mention it gives you no escape route incase things start going s(l)ideways
And then again, Warn manuals would tell you to put it in park.

This feels similar to 1.5 x gvw for minimum winch size. A group of experts sit at a table and come up with recommendations based on opinions and ideas that are likely good ideas, but these recommendations later get taken as full gospel red lines not to ever cross without anyone actually thinking it thru with real life applications.

I'm thinking of personal scenarios where I've acted as the winch that's pulling people up to the top of a slope. I'm having a hard time creating a catastrophe where being in park would doom me and reverse would save me.. My engine is running, I've got my parking brake on (and it works), my foot is pressed on the brake, and I'm in park. I'm working the winch and the fella on the hook is slowly working his way up... Whats the success/catastrophe scenario where reverse and park have different outcomes, how does reverse help me escape and what am I escaping? If being in park would somehow be a liability, couldn't I just take it out of park? I'm asking because I really don't know. If there's an equipment failure, I stop, if he starts to roll, I'm kinda hooked on to him. In this scenario I've been in park and the hand throttle or my foot has the rpm at 2000 or so to mitigate some voltage drop.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
how does reverse help me escape and what am I escaping? If being in park would somehow be a liability, couldn't I just take it out of park? I'm asking because I really don't know. If there's an equipment failure, I stop, if he starts to roll, I'm kinda hooked on to him. In this scenario I've been in park and the hand throttle or my foot has the rpm at 2000 or so to mitigate some voltage drop.
Being in reverse allows you to reposition if needed, but primarily it takes the stress off of the parking pall... Sure being on the service (foot) brake is absolutely helpful in this case, assuming that it isn't already resting on the pall already. The concern is preventing non-field repairable damage

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Zimm, I agree. When I read about the reverse/ neutral requirement, I was perplexed.
I have done several recoveries in my Gladiator at the top of a slope pulling my brothers Jeep up. I’m anchored in the rear to a tree, in park, and pulling him up a slope. I can’t see how neutral or reverse would be appropriate.

I can only assume they are referencing a self recovery?

Back
Top Bottom