The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Typically Toyota's hybrid systems run on a ~276v system and not useable for powering equipment.
What you are suggesting would be great but it's not on Toyota's radar.

Thanks Mike for that - too bad, missed opportunity, but I also know that it would be like the Pontiac Aztec and the tent that mounted to the back: a gimmick that only a few people would actually find useful! So, good reason not to go for it (disappointing as that might be!)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
LC and GX for the NA market are starting to pop on social media. Lots of whoop-de-do’s and puddles. The tires do look large but the vehicles seem bulky, ungainly, and certainly not for the off-road market.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Plus Gx is 10-20k over asking
Tried to get excited about the GX550, even thought about putting a deposit down. Both dealers I had been talking with are on radio silence, now, I guess. Reached out to one of the local Toyota dealers as well in regards to the Land Cruiser and was told basically sorry no chance you will see one any time soon. I decided there is no way I am playing the unobtanium Toyota game.

Local time
Reaction score
Plus Gx is 10-20k over asking
I spoke with my local Lexus dealer about pricing and availability. Turns out that the GX overtrail+ is about 10k less than my Grenadier spec and they sell at msrp + Doc fee which is the same on both vehicles. The only issue is allocation but it seems the wait for a GX would be far shorter than what I've waited for a Grenadier.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I spoke with my local Lexus dealer about pricing and availability. Turns out that the GX overtrail+ is about 10k less than my Grenadier spec and they sell at msrp + Doc fee which is the same on both vehicles. The only issue is allocation but it seems the wait for a GX would be far shorter than what I've waited for a Grenadier.
You're lucky. All dealerships I've spoken to around me are expecting big "market adjustment" markups. If you can get one for MSRP, I think it's a great deal. I'm looking at a possible GX550 for my wife.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
The Landcruiser is a huge step in the right direction, no doubt. But its still all plastic, still IFS, still no front locker which is basic tech. If you cannot get a front locker and a winch I am not touching it these days. And 35s should be a relatively easy upgrade.( just springs for the IG) But really a front solid axle is the elixir of a long life off road. The Lexus does not look like an off road vehicle at all to me....Just how would you add bumpers to that thing? Open Diffs,( fake electronic lockers do not count) IRS, same electronically controlled not actual locking t-case. That is not going anywhere, a Defender would be a better bet. If I was comparing a Landcruiser to a Four Runner I would jump on the Landcruiser for sure at this point, but still curious as to where the Four Runner is going.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just how would you add bumpers to that thing? Open Diffs,( fake electronic lockers do not count) IRS, same electronically controlled not actual locking t-case.
The LC250/GX550 has a solid rear axle and rear locker, and locking transfer case.

As for bumpers, the same way you do with all other modern vehicles, cut the plastic

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
The LC250/GX550 has a solid rear axle and rear locker, and locking transfer case.

As for bumpers, the same way you do with all other modern vehicles, cut the plastic
On both vehicles Toyota/Lexus have added metal bracketing behind the plastic for adding aftermarket bumpers and winches. It is hard to argue with Toyota reliability over nearly every vehicle on the planet.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The biggest question that the LC raises is where exactly are they going to slot the next gen 4Runnner, especially the TRD PRO? Both in price and features?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The biggest question that the LC raises is where exactly are they going to slot the next gen 4Runnner, especially the TRD PRO? Both in price and features?
There's a contingent of us ex-5th Gen 4Runner owners that are thinking it will be much more of a tame, "Off-roady Highlander" style.... Especially since previously the 4Runner and GX have been siblings, but now the GX shares virtually everything (frame, engine, wheelbase) with the LX600 and LC250 (except for the engine with the LC250)

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Toyota probably isn't really concerned about the Grenadier but it does look to me like they are taking a shot at it with the new Land Cruiser Lite. Fake old school looks, an advertised heavier stiffer frame, a renewed focus on "durability", full time four wheel drive with a locking transfer case, angry bro "round" headlights (on some models), manually adjusted front seats (on some models), a light blue paint with white roof option, standard rear locker, cloth seats (on some models). Add in their First Edition which is limited to 5000 in the first year and it makes them look either a bit worried by the IG or a bit determined to interrupt first year sales. The timing is also just a tad suspicious.

Full sized LCs were selling less than 5000 a year when they were discontinued in the States so they need to make a splash with the 250/550. They've staggered the higher pricing/power train options up into the Lexus line where the costs are somewhat comparable with a Grenadier (and you can opt for a black roof), but Toyota seems to be pushing the cheaper entry level vehicles at launch almost like an attempt to undercut competitors. It's no secret that Ineos is hoping to get some of the third world market now dominated by Toyota's 70 series and Toyota is notorious for going after rivals.

Is it true that or EU brethren will get a non-hybrid manual transmission option ?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
There's a contingent of us ex-5th Gen 4Runner owners that are thinking it will be much more of a tame, "Off-roady Highlander" style.... Especially since previously the 4Runner and GX have been siblings, but now the GX shares virtually everything (frame, engine, wheelbase) with the LX600 and LC250 (except for the engine with the LC250)
The GX is aligned to the Landcruiser Prado and as such is a different vehicle (slightly smaller in all dimensions) than the LX which is aligned to the US (now discontinued) Land Cruiser the ended production in '21

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The GX is aligned to the Landcruiser Prado and as such is a different vehicle (slightly smaller in all dimensions) than the LX which is aligned to the US (now discontinued) Land Cruiser the ended production in '21
The GX550 is longer than a LC200/LC300 (just a hair shorter than a LX600, which is LC300 based); but maintains the same wheelbase as the LC100/LC200/LC300/LX600 (and LC250)

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The GX550 is longer than a LC200/LC300 (just a hair shorter than a LX600, which is LC300 based); but maintains the same wheelbase as the LC100/LC200/LC300/LX600 (and LC250)
I want it. Not to replace my Gren, but to complement it ;)

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
Depends. What size is the body, what motor, got 3 locking diffs, and more questions. I have heard it will have a 4 cylinder engine. I have no desire to have a 4Runner sized LC with a 4 cylinder engine. That is a big step backwards for me. Now a 70’s series cruiser might make a difference.
Not only is it a 4 banger, its a hybrid, no interest here

Local time
Reaction score
For the US market at least, this sounds like bad news/timing for Ineos. 01Aug2023 is the announcement date for the newly redesigned/reintroduced Land Cruiser.

Im assuming it’ll be hard to get one in the beginning but it should be exciting.

Will this affect your Grenadier decision? I guess we’ll know more after the 1st.
As the date for my Greny gets pushed back further and further the LC looks like more of a possibility. The Toyota dependability is a great selling point against a truck with no real track record. The looks with some old school style mods are arguably better than the Ineos. And with cheaper price tag loaded with bells and whistles it’s starts getting hard to sell myself that the Ineos is worth it. But it really doesn’t matter because neither are ever going to get here. It’s going to come down to which one comes first. Your guess is as good as mine.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
As the date for my Greny gets pushed back further and further the LC looks like more of a possibility. The Toyota dependability is a great selling point against a truck with no real track record. The looks with some old school style mods are arguably better than the Ineos. And with cheaper price tag loaded with bells and whistles it’s starts getting hard to sell myself that the Ineos is worth it. But it really doesn’t matter because neither are ever going to get here. It’s going to come down to which one comes first. Your guess is as good as mine.
I must be in the minority as the Grenadier looks way better to me than the new 250 series Cruiser and the GX550.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I must be in the minority as the Grenadier looks way better to me than the new 250 series Cruiser and the GX550.
I couldn't agree more... All of my normal wheeling buddies are huge fans of the LC250 and GX550; I've seen both in person and neither do a lot for me, the interiors really kill it for me

Back
Top Bottom