The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
It is only 70% cheaper if you do not include the new canopy, new rims all round, a suspension upgrade and what looks like a new exhaust on that vehicle.

Plus the 70 series have no sound deadening, no bonnet gas struts (the bonnet is much heavier than the Grenadier), different width axles on the front and rear. They also have notoriously weak diffs, front and rear. My mate spent 25 years with Toyota spares told me to stay away, choose the Hilux before the 70 series.

In Australia to get a 70 series to a state I could tour in was more expensive than the Grenadier and the Grenadier was more modern, better built and a better all round car. Downside the Grenadier has not proven itself in the field over many years.
The one thing that is yet to be seen from a Grenadier is the aggressive and abusive operation that Land Cruisers and Defenders have endured the world over by unskilled and poorly trained operators or operators expecting more then the vehicles or operators are capable of. This generally explains most breakages. Every vehicle breaks at some stage from misuse or poor maintenance. The private new 4x4 buyer of any brand generally looks after their vehicles very well and will have no or very limited self inflicted breakages while they own the vehicle.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
It is only 70% cheaper if you do not include the new canopy, new rims all round, a suspension upgrade and what looks like a new exhaust on that vehicle.

Plus the 70 series have no sound deadening, no bonnet gas struts (the bonnet is much heavier than the Grenadier), different width axles on the front and rear. They also have notoriously weak diffs, front and rear. My mate spent 25 years with Toyota spares told me to stay away, choose the Hilux before the 70 series.

In Australia to get a 70 series to a state I could tour in was more expensive than the Grenadier and the Grenadier was more modern, better built and a better all round car. Downside the Grenadier has not proven itself in the field over many years.
Now I am glad they did not bring them to the USA! :)

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Wish we could buy those in the US - maybe you can fax one to me!
This is off-topic but how did you fare in the storm this week? Westlake Village got hit pretty hard. Maybe it's actually on-topic...one of the features we all look for is a bug out emergency vehicle.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is off-topic but how did you fare in the storm this week? Westlake Village got hit pretty hard. Maybe it's actually on-topic...one of the features we all look for is a bug out emergency vehicle.
Thanks for checking in - It's been a wild/wet week. Over 10" of rain since last Friday - glad to be living on a ridge line. Where we are no mud slides, sadly some areas were hit very hard and folks lost houses. What is very frustrating is to watch the trillions of gallons of water that went out to see and were not captured.

Where in New England are you from?

Last edited:

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
When we start seeing Grenadiers carting around Jihadis, then you can start disparaging Toyota Land Cruisers, but until then....

Last edited:

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score

Yep-agree. Anyway, it is more like 70 percent of the cost, not 70 cheaper, and as far as I can tell, it isnt. By the time you add things that are standard on the gren, its much closer. However, the big point is that it is not in the same class. Yes, it is as ‘serious’, so from that perspective you compare them. But the grenadier is now really in a class that’s hard to compare, mix of pure offroad credentials with sophistication that is still mechanically robust. Theres not really anything that’s a direct comparator.

Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score

I totally agree with what TheDocAus said, and will add as I have in previous posts the hot V diesel in the 300 now has shortened service intervals due to high oil usage caused by that hot V heat sink.
Some how the majority of people still believe that the year long top gear very expensive unbreakable add campaign was real.
If Toyota spent less on advertising and more on research and development the reliability myth might be true.
What would be considered a catastrophic failure on any other brand of vehicle is considered a service item on a Toyota adding to the reliability myth.
PS thank goodness despite multiple attempts BMW didn't listen to Toyota when it kept trying to lessen the unit cost of the B58 motor it put in the Supra.
Toyota motors are usually heavy, low revving and use a lot of fuel, so when they want something sporty they use Subaru or BMW motors and their chassis designs.

Last edited:
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score

You are quite right. The price difference is based on the base vehicles. All AU$65.000 of it! (Based on local Namibian pricing)
If I spend that amount on a 79, addressing all the things you have mentioned and more, I want to argue that it will give any other vehicle in the segment a run for it's money!
In terms of the more detailed ailings of the 79 like diffs, sound proving etc. I can just add that after driving them for the last 22 years and 100's of 1.000's of kms, I was lucky enough to escape all those woes!

I like the Grenadier a lot and am sure once the teething problems and few issues it has is sorted, it will be an excellent option as a touring/overlander truck!
Until then I participate enthusiastically and with some experience in the discussion of "Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser" 🍻;)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The one thing that is yet to be seen from a Grenadier is the aggressive and abusive operation that Land Cruisers and Defenders have endured the world over by unskilled and poorly trained operators or operators expecting more then the vehicles or operators are capable of. This generally explains most breakages. Every vehicle breaks at some stage from misuse or poor maintenance. The private new 4x4 buyer of any brand generally looks after their vehicles very well and will have no or very limited self inflicted breakages while they own the vehicle.
I’d like to some Grenadier’s used by utility companies. 12 yrs of my life building power lines using Landrovers and many other makes. We all had 4x4 training as part of the job but those vehicles got abused and worked very hard. Only time will tell if the Grenadier is going to be durable long term.
Once some of these safari companies get them and use them as they go the Defenders and landcruisers, along with utility companies for example building power lines, then that will be the proof of the pudding.
So far I’ve been loaded for the 18k km + of my journey so far and engine, transmission and suspension are rock solid 🤞🏼

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Furthermore, we also get the LC300.
The evolution of many decades has set it's path in terms of design and is now quite different from the boxier Grenadier shape.
One can however argue that it has a place in the style rankings and as a contender in the class, it has quite a few things going for it!
It is a very fine comfortable and nippy daily driver. 227kW in the diesel version and 305kW in petrol (gas) is plenty of power to get up and go!
A phenomenal off-roader with a serious lineage of robust durability and reliability that can hardly be matched.
On top of that, the entry model (locally) is also significantly cheaper than the comparative Grenadier.

The new LC250/Prado will IMO not be in the same league as the Ineos.

View attachment 7843175
It works offroad as a Overlander

View attachment 7843176
You can pack stuff and sh!t in it 🍺🥩🍖🍔🍺

View attachment 7843177
It's bl@@dy sexy!
I drove a 300 TT diesel, and while it was quick and had plenty of torque, it was too car like for me. I felt disconnected from the road and the world around me (i know funny thing to say) but the 300, while it has improved on the 200 in some ways it's taken the feel out of off roading IMO.

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
In this part of the world, the Grenadier competes with the venerable 40-year old design Land Cruiser 70 for a spot as a Overlander type of vehicle!
Especially in the Quartermaster guise.
Freshly updated with a 150kW (frugal) diesel engine and auto box and substantially cheaper (by circa 70%) than the Quartermaster, it offers a long history of toughness and durability.
Also to be had with a 170 kW V6 petrol (gas) engine and a V8 diesel.
This truck sports no ADAS (thank goodness) and has a no-nonsense approach to getting the job done of taking you into the sticks and bringing you back!
Unparalleled reliability!

.View attachment 7843170
If the 70 series was available in the US, there would have been a real possibility that I would have chose that over the Grenadier. That being said, I doubt in the States we would have had a diesel option available. What I was looking for when I made the decision to buy the Ineos, was I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of suspension lifts, 35"tires, bumbers, winch,, I wanted a capable, triple locked truck in stock form to add a roof rack, some 12v electrics for fridge and interior lights, and an easy way of doing a rear seat delete so I could have an open rear cargo area.
The Grenadier has some shortcomings, as does the 70 Series of LC. Probably my biggest fear with the Ineos is reliability. All the other little quirks I can deal with.
I mean, C'mon, the Grenadier has British, German, and French elements in it's build,,,what could possibly go wrong! Yes, that is meant to be sarcasm!

I haven't personally seen the new GX, or the LC here in the US yet, but from all the video I've watched I don't think it's going to impress the guys who've owned a 80,100 or 200 series Land Cruiser.
And I don't think it will impress me. The Lexus version looks horrible from the front in my opinion. But then again I'm the kind of guy who thought my 1964 IIa was the best looking car I ever owned!
So How goofy is my perspective?

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If the 70 series was available in the US, there would have been a real possibility that I would have chose that over the Grenadier. That being said, I doubt in the States we would have had a diesel option available.
Me too potentially, although I am completely unaware of the 70 Series shortcomings. I will also never purchase a modern diesel - I do not have the extensive Outback trail systems to contend with, so it is not worth the (emissions) hassles.

I haven't personally seen the new GX, or the LC here in the US yet, but from all the video I've watched I don't think it's going to impress the guys who've owned a 80,100 or 200 series Land Cruiser.
Look at all the GX and LC excitement on this forum. But I agree, it is no 80/100 Series. Toyota took the opportunity to lower costs by dropping the LC-25-year life expectancy.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've said this before but if my tag-less, stuck at RDS Trialmaster performs like my Disco II and my 80-series, I wouldn't complain a bit. Not directly apples to apples but the DI/II and 80-series were capable, comfortable, and looked great. I think the IG easily checks those boxes.

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
I've said this before but if my tag-less, stuck at RDS Trialmaster performs like my Disco II and my 80-series, I wouldn't complain a bit. Not directly apples to apples but the DI/II and 80-series were capable, comfortable, and looked great. I think the IG easily checks those boxes.
I concur 100%, The new GX especially doesn't appeal to me visually the way the Ineos does.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It feels like 1996 (D1) every time I drive the Gren!!!

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for checking in - It's been a wild/wet week. Over 10" of rain since last Friday - glad to be living on a ridge line. Where we are no mud slides, sadly some areas were hit very hard and folks lost houses. What is very frustrating is to watch the trillions of gallons of water that went out to see and were not captured.

Where in New England are you from?
Eastern MA. I was online looking for sunny warm beach cams and got a surprise. Yes - I read that the water diversion systems to protect LA reduce water storage.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Eastern MA. I was online looking for sunny warm beach cams and got a surprise. Yes - I read that the water diversion systems to protect LA reduce water storage.
It's interesting that Boston has for so many years recycled/processed drinking water from waste water and that concept is like Mars out here....I originally from the Boston area - GO SOX!!!

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Me too potentially, although I am completely unaware of the 70 Series shortcomings. I will also never purchase a modern diesel - I do not have the extensive Outback trail systems to contend with, so it is not worth the (emissions) hassles.

I think the 70 series occupies some kind of mythical space here in the States. A few diehards love them but they're not imported here like old Defenders or 40 series Toyotas. With a modern diesel I'd also be hard pressed to buy one if they were.

Look at all the GX and LC excitement on this forum. But I agree, it is no 80/100 Series. Toyota took the opportunity to lower costs by dropping the LC-25-year life expectancy.

Shhh, don't say that on a Toyota forum. They're all champing at the bit for the LC250 and the Grenadier can get bagged on pretty well as being overpriced and half as good. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom