The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Ha! I actually sold my IIa and my 80-series LC to buy a Grenadier.
Tragic! 😁 Just curious - in what condition was that 80-series? I'm casually looking for an 80 that's in decent shape.

Last edited:

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier walks the talk of “built for purpose“ in so many ways that it has really engaged (most of) us as something truly special in the car market today. But there is concern about electronics.

Please don’t bombard me with the exceptions because I know they exist, but by and large, electronics is one of the reasons cars today are more reliable than the have ever been (let alone safer, cleaner and more efficient). However, that’s not really the concern. What if they do go wrong out there? (I’m waving vaguely to the outback).

I actually can (somewhat) get under the hood of a microcontroller but I also acknowledge I would have no hope diagnosing, or fixing, an electronics failure in any modern car. We absolutely do not want advanced electronics to be the reason we’re stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I think Ineos knows this and here’s where I have an optimistic spin on the electronics gremlins people are experiencing. Why did they choose to develop their own management software? Why not drop a mature, reliable BMW system where everything bongs exactly when expected and limp home mode is activated so you don’t have to call an Uber etc?

I suspect Ineos recognised electronics are inevitable but that no current system would meet “built for purpose”. Perhaps, they decided to develop their own to utilise the benefits of electronics but (e.g.) not diminish the mobility of the vehicle if the operator needs it. Developing their own software is certainly ambitious and is definitively giving teething problems but software can be improved and modified. Maybe the software gremlins are not the unacceptable quality failure that our inner “Karen” is so offended by but a bit of a bump on the road to that special destination.😀

Or not, and we’ve all invested in a complete lemon! 😩

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suggested adhesive once before but was summarily shot down. Reason given was the strength of the paint. I doubt it'd be a problem in most cases.
Except that they ARE attached with double sided tape (AND rivets). See attached extract from Accessories booklet

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 11.57.24 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 11.57.24 am.png
    854.4 KB · Views: 34

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
The Grenadier walks the talk of “built for purpose“ in so many ways that it has really engaged (most of) us as something truly special in the car market today. But there is concern about electronics.

Please don’t bombard me with the exceptions because I know they exist, but by and large, electronics is one of the reasons cars today are more reliable than the have ever been (let alone safer, cleaner and more efficient). However, that’s not really the concern. What if they do go wrong out there? (I’m waving vaguely to the outback).

I actually can (somewhat) get under the hood of a microcontroller but I also acknowledge I would have no hope diagnosing, or fixing, an electronics failure in any modern car. We absolutely do not want advanced electronics to be the reason we’re stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I think Ineos knows this and here’s where I have an optimistic spin on the electronics gremlins people are experiencing. Why did they choose to develop their own management software? Why not drop a mature, reliable BMW system where everything bongs exactly when expected and limp home mode is activated so you don’t have to call an Uber etc?

I suspect Ineos recognised electronics are inevitable but that no current system would meet “built for purpose”. Perhaps, they decided to develop their own to utilise the benefits of electronics but (e.g.) not diminish the mobility of the vehicle if the operator needs it. Developing their own software is certainly ambitious and is definitively giving teething problems but software can be improved and modified. Maybe the software gremlins are not the unacceptable quality failure that our inner “Karen” is so offended by but a bit of a bump on the road to that special destination.😀

Or not, and we’ve all invested in a complete lemon! 😩
Ok, how about this - my 1995 Range Rover Classic, 14cux ECU, fully active EAS (air suspension). I taken it all through Eastern Canada (I live in NJ) with an extensive onboard spares kit + HP tablet, software and cables/adapters. Way over prepared but luckily I’ve never needed any of that kit outside my own driveway.

I think you’re chasing ghosts. Aside from stuff that will pop-up on this forum, with likely solutions, I’m not sweating it.

Reactions: Max

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
#chasingourtrucks - The New Defender (ND) forums posted a similar issue regarding the inability to drive with the front drivers door open. It basically puts the trans in P and applies the brakes. However, if you simply put it back in D again (or R), the truck will drive. I’ve tried it. Interesting thing is, if you have any of the other passenger doors open, the ND doesn’t care and allows you to drive normally. I do it often to keep the car line moving for the times I pick-up my kid from school😂😂

It also makes bank robberies and kidnappings easier when everyone can jump-in as I roll past and peel out to loose the 5-0, Baby Driver style😂🤪🫣

I wonder if the IG works the same way. They do have the same/similar transmission don’t they? Sorry for the OT but I thought I’d throw it out there for someone to try. Obviously ”Off-Road” mode disables it also, but that’s too easy, lol.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
Except that they ARE attached with double sided tape (AND rivets). See attached extract from Accessories booklet
Well sure, the tape keeps them from slipping around under your local dealer's greasy knee while he fumbles with his cordless drill and rivet tool. (My understanding is the fender plates are not factory installed.)

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you’re chasing ghosts. Aside from stuff that will pop-up on this forum, with likely solutions, I’m not sweating it.

Yes, I think that’s kinda the point I’m making.👍Kudos to you for that equipment and skill set. I’m probably closer to the bang-things-with-hammer end of the scale.😊

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
Tragic! 😁 Just curious - in what condition was that 80-series? I'm casually looking for an 80 that's in decent shape.
I have (2) ‘97 80-series LCs and will likely be selling this one. 260k mi Collector’s Edition with the triple lockers. I’m in the Seattle area. Lemme know if you’re interested.

DEBE802C-20EC-46B5-A421-F53993984533.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
There's not much foot/gear room and a bit of a stretch to tie things/ get to things.
Hence I skipped that option and spent my money in the spare wheel box.
The NAS D90 had a nice steel tube running across the vehicle just in front of the vents. Between that and the checkerplated fenders, it was great for getting at the roof/upper roll bar. Spent a few hours up there a week ago replacing the four lights on the roll bar......
Now, if the Grenadier had an external roll cage........ :)

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Hence the predicament. If I buy a Grenadier, I can't afford a 2a. If I buy a Land Cruiser I can still afford a 2a. 😂🥺😭
This is the Dilemma When I started with this whole thing if I sold my Defender I could get a grenadier for 30-40k change up.

Now If I sell my defender I'm looking at close to a 100k change up. Or I can keep the defender and buy a flash offroad caravan. So many options. :D

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got it with 60 and sold it with 68 and it was clean as a whistle. I’ve always wanted a Defender, but that reality is sketchy at best. If I could have purchased an off the assembly line 2015 proper D I would have. Obviously that is out of the question.

Then I learned about the Grenadier and that seemed to make sense. So I sold my LC and my Series and now patiently wait. My IA page has not yet been updated but it will I’m sure. But it’s going to be a tough wait.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
image0-21-jpeg.2833180

Back
Top Bottom