The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fusilier wish list

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Interesting, there are quite few a news reports from Europe on the Fusiliers contract suspension. Ineos will needs rapidly move to include lighter more efficient cars for long term viability. We only need to look at the U.S. to see how quickly Jeep Gladiator and Bronco peaked and slumped, and how the pick-up market is currently performing. Grenadier being a large expensive vehicle to own in Europe, is becoming more expensive in Australia with new taxes and the US chicken tax on QM this does lead to several questions, once the Ineos enthusiasts, devotees have their vehicles will Ineos see a similar large slump in sales and will Ineos be sustainable without a more affordable, lighter, fuel efficient electric, hybrid or ICE vehicles in its lineup?
I think they will now focus more on the hydrogen version as it meets the fuel efficient requirements while allowing it to be manufactured on the existing production line.
I am sure they will also do a 2 door shorty and probably pull a 4 cylinder or hybrid motor from BMW???? for that one.
I guess if you can lengthen and shorten the existing frame you can probably also make it narrower.
They could still use the Fusilier design, just not the electric components.
Drop the Fuselier type body on a modified Grenadier frame and reduce the weight by 30%

1719975168594.png1719975213952.png1719975253275.png

Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
I think they will now focus more on the hydrogen version as it meets the fuel efficient requirements while allowing it to be manufactured on the existing production line.
I am sure they will also do a 2 door shorty and probably pull a 4 cylinder or hybrid motor from BMW???? for that one.
I guess if you can lengthen and shorten the existing frame you can probably also make it narrower.
They could still use the Fusilier design, just not the electric components.
Drop the Fuselier type body on a modified Grenadier frame and reduce the weight by 30%

View attachment 7862162View attachment 7862168View attachment 7862170
Shortening the frame is far easier than narrowing the frame as the vehicle would be the same from the A pillar forward, so just shortening it would be far more economical ( cheaper ) making it the equivalent of a previous generation defender 90, we already have 110 and 130 equivalents, and they are great, so bring on the 90.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Are you guys sure about this story? I’m not finding anything else on this - I would have expected some other automotive news source would have picked this up - maybe over the next 48 hours?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Shortening the frame is far easier than narrowing the frame as the vehicle would be the same from the A pillar forward, so just shortening it would be far more economical ( cheaper ) making it the equivalent of a previous generation defender 90, we already have 110 and 130 equivalents, and they are great, so bring on the 90.
Early interview with Toby, the designer, I am sure he said they have engineered it for shorter as well as longer.
Never heard skinnier that I can recall.
Maybe it will be short and fat.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Are you guys sure about this story? I’m not finding anything else on this - I would have expected some other automotive news source would have picked this up - maybe over the next 48 hours?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Here’s a copy of the report in Bloomsberg
Bloomberg) -- Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos Group is delaying its electric sport utility vehicle, blaming waning consumer demand for EVs and uncertainty around tariffs.

Production of the Fusilier, a smaller vehicle than the Grenadier 4x4 that the company started selling last year, had been expected to begin in 2027. Ineos on Wednesday didn’t specify a new timeline.

Ratcliffe, the billionaire petrochemical mogul who is now also a minority investor in Premier League club Manchester United, had outlined plans earlier this year to offer both a battery-only version of the Fusilier, and a range-extender option using a small gas engine to keep the battery charged.

However, because it requires a gas engine, a range-extender would be banned in both Europe and the UK in 2035, or in 2030 in the UK if the Labour Party wins Thursday’s general election, an Ineos Automotive spokesperson said.

“We are delaying the launch of the Ineos Fusilier for two reasons: reluctant consumer uptake of EVs, and industry uncertainty around tariffs, timings and taxation,” the company said. “There needs to be long-term clarity from policymakers” to meet net zero targets.

The decision comes after Ratcliffe in February said Ineos was “fully in” when it came to low-emission vehicles, according to an interview with Bloomberg Television.

Ratcliffe — the UK’s second-richest person with a $15.4 billion fortune, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index — has been diversifying away from chemicals. His Ineos business has been grappling with weakening demand for its products and rising borrowing costs.

Ineos planned to develop the Fusilier along with auto supplier Magna International Inc. A spokesperson for Magna confirmed Ineos’ decision to Austrian newspaper Kronen Zeitung, which reported the news earlier.

Production of the gas-powered Grenadier in Hambach, Germany, will continue as planned, the spokesperson confirmed, adding that there would be no job losses as a result of the decision. The Grenadier was born out of Ratcliffe’s desire to fill the void left by Jaguar Land Rover Automotive Plc retiring the original Defender.

(Updates with additional detail throughout)

©2024 Bloomberg L.P.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks - hadn’t seen that yet. I’m shocked that the ReX would be banned - frankly that was the only way the Fusilier would make ANY sense. I guess they are making a good decision, but it’s a real shame. If I were Ineos, I would be taking a HARD look at South Carolina - same as BMW. The entire regulatory approach around ICE in Europe is basically engineered to mandate mass transit, population density in metro areas, and if you want to take a conspiratorial angle around increased state supervision of its citizenry, you might not be far afield.

AWo

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score

Yes, that is a local/reginal newspaper where Magna Steyr is a very big employer. They often write abount things happening at Magna.

However, inside Ineos no news about that, as well. Whereas the news of the upcoming Fusilier was a big one and made every Ineos employee happy during the internal finacial lockdown.

I'm pretty sure more will come...however, Ineos is not found often in the automotive news in Germany compared to others. Too less relevance, too small sales volume, in the range of the four smallest Chinese car manufacturers Lynk, Nio, Maxus and Aiways

Maybe that will also have an effect on fleet emissions, as the Fusilier can not be used for compensation in the next years

Bloomberg wrote "rising borrowing costs"? Interesting....that's what I found in the financial report of 2023, as well. I posted it here..

AWo

Last edited:

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, that is a local/reginal newspaper where Magna Steyr is a very big employer. They often write abount things happening at Magna.

However, inside Ineos no news about that, as well. Whereas the news of the upcoming Fusilier was a big one and made every Ineos employee happy during the internal finacial lockdown.

I'm pretty sure more will come...however, Ineos is not found often in the automotive news in Germany compared to others. Too less relevance, too small sales volume, in the range of the four smallest Chinese car manufacturers Lynk, Nio, Maxus and Aiways

Maybe that will also have an effect on fleet emissions, as the Fusilier can not be used for compensation in the next years

Bloomber wrote "rising borrowing costs"? Interesting....that's what I found in the financial report of 2023, as well. I posted it here..

AWo
Yeah now that it hit Bloomberg, I’m sure it will blow up quickly and Ineos will have to make a statement. This has to absolutely suck in Graz. Not happy times. I think at this point, they are fishing for Chinese OEM’s.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
It didn’t take long to get into the mainstream press. The Guardian in the U.K. now has an article on the Fusilier.

Back
Top Bottom