The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
I have flir and fluke ir imaging units, but I really don’t see that telling me anything useful.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
If an official Ineos dealer where you purchased the vehicle has recommended as compatible, sold and installed the lift kit surely they should warrant and resolve an issue which has been caused by the lift kit they profited from? Different story if you have purchased from an independent vendor.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If an official Ineos dealer where you purchased the vehicle has recommended as compatible, sold and installed the lift kit surely they should warrant and resolve an issue which has been caused by the lift kit they profited from? Different story if you have purchased from an independent vendor.
The issue is that warranty coverage is provided (paid for) by Ineos corporate; not the dealer themselves (as they are unrelated entities).

A dealer could sell you aftermarket parts, and then provide their own warranty to cover potential failures, but it would not fall on the factory warranty

undert0e

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score

Are any dealers installing aftermarket suspension? I would imagine the dealership would eat the cost of any failed parts at that point. Being a previous Jeep owner I have had dealerships install suspension for this reason.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
The issue is that warranty coverage is provided (paid for) by Ineos corporate; not the dealer themselves (as they are unrelated entities).

A dealer could sell you aftermarket parts, and then provide their own warranty to cover potential failures, but it would not fall on the factory warranty
Does the end consumer care who covers the bill or rectifies the situation? They just want their truck fixed within a reasonable time at no cost to them. Not sure how US consumer law works but if an Australian dealer did this they would have to resolve the issue.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Given there’s already evidence that unmodified vehicles are having catastrophic driveshaft failures, as the dust settles on this… Depending on final outcome as to whether the failures of stock vehicles’ driveshafts are of the same type as ‘lifted’ vehicles’, there’s a case to be made that the issue is underlying and not a direct result of the taller springs.

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Are any dealers installing aftermarket suspension? I would imagine the dealership would eat the cost of any failed parts at that point. Being a previous Jeep owner I have had dealerships install suspension for this reason.

Yeah, one of the Forum Members had his 2.5" lift installed by Mossy in Houston. Sounds like I need to leave room on the roof rack for a spare aftermarket drive shaft. Hey Stu, how about a group buy / discount on driveshafts?

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry I'm late to the party. I was one of the folks that reported the front shaft CV boot failure last Sunday on FB.

To sum up the chain of events, last Sunday, 18 Aug, I was returning home from the airport after being away on a work trip. I happened to have the radio off for a quiet ride home and noticed the "whirring" sound of maybe a differential or T-case issue, maybe. It gave me flashbacks of my old Macan and FJ Cruiser when they had T-case and Diff issues! When I got home I crawled under the Grenadier to have a look around. That's when I found the mangled CV boot on the front shaft at the T-case.

I let my dealer know and they sent a flat bed to come pick my Grenadier up.

Upon further inspection they found I will need a new rear shaft as well as they said there is "seepage" at the rear shaft, axle side. I didn't notice when I crawled under there, but I imagine the dealer is going over it with attention to detail. I am also being told that this will be covered under warranty and they have seen several of these issues thus far from BOTH lifted and stock ride height. Therefore, we are now waiting on Ineos to send some shafts from Hambach before I'm back on the road again. It also sounds like my dealer ordered several shafts for the likely ensuing numbers of failed shafts to rise.

My specs:
Eibach 2.5" lift
285/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's
Front winch
Roo Bar
Big Country (Rugged Bound) Drawers

So I'm not exactly a light weight, unladen vehicle. Also, while at the dealer I crawled under a stock Grenadier on their showroom floor and noticed the front shaft does have some aggressive angles in its stock form. I would highly suggest anyone to check their boots and seals along the driveline.

At least Ineos is stepping up and covering these issues thus far. Although I'll be without my Grenadier probably for 2+ weeks.IMG_9185.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpeg
    IMG_9178.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9182.jpeg
    IMG_9182.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry I'm late to the party. I was one of the folks that reported the front shaft CV boot failure last Sunday on FB.

To sum up the chain of events, last Sunday, 18 Aug, I was returning home from the airport after being away on a work trip. I happened to have the radio off for a quiet ride home and noticed the "whirring" sound of maybe a differential or T-case issue, maybe. It gave me flashbacks of my old Macan and FJ Cruiser when they had T-case and Diff issues! When I got home I crawled under the Grenadier to have a look around. That's when I found the mangled CV boot on the front shaft at the T-case.

Upon further inspection they found I will need a new rear shaft as well as they said there is "seepage" at the rear shaft, axle side. I didn't notice when I crawled under there, but I imagine the dealer is going over it with attention to detail. I am also being told that this will be covered under warranty and they have seen several of these issues thus far from BOTH lifted and stock ride height. Therefore, we are now waiting on Ineos to send some shafts from Hambach before I'm back on the road again. It also sounds like my dealer ordered several shafts for the likely ensuing numbers of failed shafts to rise.

My specs:
Eibach 2.5" lift
Front winch
Roo Bar

So I'm not exactly a light weight, unladen vehicle. Also, while at the dealer I crawled under a stock Grenadier on their showroom floor and noticed the front shaft does have some aggressive angles in its stock form. I would highly suggest anyone to check their boots and seals along the driveline.

At least Ineos is stepping up and covering these issues thus far. Although I'll be without my Grenadier probably for 2+ weeks.View attachment 7868759
Sorry for your predicament but I'm glad to hear yours will be covered. I have the 2.5 lift and 33s. I'm in Houston as well. Guess I will be crawling under mine tonight or tomorrow as I'm headed to Ft. Worth for a week and towing a trailer. BTW, those wheels look great.

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

My specs:
Eibach 2.5" lift
Front winch
Roo Bar

At least Ineos is stepping up and covering these issues thus far. Although I'll be without my Grenadier probably for 2+ weeks.View attachment 7868759
Forgot to ask.. Is Mossy providing you any type of loaner to drive during your repairs?

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Forgot to ask.. Is Mossy providing you any type of loaner to drive during your repairs?
I never asked as I have a second car (wife’s) and am likely to pick up another “weekend car” for myself soon; looking for the opposite end of the spectrum, sporty two door, manual.

But I would imagine they would give me a loaner if i asked. They’ve been pretty good to work with.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score

expeditionhq.com.au down under is both a dealer and installs lifts. I wonder what they're seeing.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
After reading through all this, I had to get underneath my new-to-me purchase and check things out. Looks like it has the eibach lift springs (orange springs with the logo) but luckily the boot looks fine. Granted it only has 1200 miles but thankful for the forum pointing the issue out so I can keep an eye on it. Whats the opinion on this angle?View attachment 7868790
Were you gulfcoast defender on the l633 defender forum.

AFdude412

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After reading through all this, I had to get underneath my new-to-me purchase and check things out. Looks like it has the eibach lift springs (orange springs with the logo) but luckily the boot looks fine. Granted it only has 1200 miles but thankful for the forum pointing the issue out so I can keep an eye on it. Whats the opinion on this angle?View attachment 7868790
I’m pretty sure you’re on the stock springs. Eibach makes both the lift and stock springs. The lifted springs are Silver colored.

Back
Top Bottom