The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
So I had a mare of an evening last night playing with the axle diff locks - or rather only the rear one, as the front one could not be tested because the rear one would not lock!

Selected low range, centre diff locked OK, pressed rear locker button. Button flashes, I drive forward but no confirmation that it has locked in the centre screen - you can just make out the rear diff has two quarter circles that rotate to show it's in the process of engaging. The telltale light was flashing at the same time:
View attachment 7817825
View attachment 7817826

As an aside why does the centre screen show the front diff symbol when it's the rear diff being locked?

No matter what I did I could get the diff to lock; and then I could get rid of the flashing lights on the telltale screen or the the overhead panel. In the photo above the centre diff lock has been disengaged which should automatically disengage the two axles locks, but my light just kept flashing.

I switched off the engine and killed the centre console and telltale lights, but still the overhead panel flashed. I locked the car, and still it flashed. I also noted that the symbols on the buttons don't seem to match the word above, but then it's sort of ambiguous on the panel where the front and rear of the vehicle are?
View attachment 7817835

I got back in and drove around weaving from side to side like a touring car driver trying to warm the tyres, still it flashed. I had to drive in a full lock circle for the flashing to stop.
Yes, I know that. The messages were the same. I took out the centre differential lock, so the locks should also be unlocked at the front and rear. But the messages did not disappear. But I only drove a little so as not to destroy anything, as the ground was only slightly damp. I left the vehicle standing. After about 8 hours, I started again. All messages gone. I then tried again and everything worked. I had posted this earlier in this thread. As soon as I have nice damp ground again, I will try it again.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
So I had a mare of an evening last night playing with the axle diff locks - or rather only the rear one, as the front one could not be tested because the rear one would not lock!

Selected low range, centre diff locked OK, pressed rear locker button. Button flashes, I drive forward but no confirmation that it has locked in the centre screen - you can just make out the rear diff has two quarter circles that rotate to show it's in the process of engaging. The telltale light was flashing at the same time:
View attachment 7817825
View attachment 7817826

As an aside why does the centre screen show the front diff symbol when it's the rear diff being locked?

No matter what I did I could get the diff to lock; and then I could get rid of the flashing lights on the telltale screen or the the overhead panel. In the photo above the centre diff lock has been disengaged which should automatically disengage the two axles locks, but my light just kept flashing.

I switched off the engine and killed the centre console and telltale lights, but still the overhead panel flashed. I locked the car, and still it flashed. I also noted that the symbols on the buttons don't seem to match the word above, but then it's sort of ambiguous on the panel where the front and rear of the vehicle are?
View attachment 7817835

I got back in and drove around weaving from side to side like a touring car driver trying to warm the tyres, still it flashed. I had to drive in a full lock circle for the flashing to stop.
Exactly the same experience for me yesterday, also. In addition, I was also having some problems getting the vehicle into Low ratio although with practice it is getting a little bit easier. You mentioned the front diff symbol but your photograph shows the rear diff as being engaged. Is it one of those things that depends on the view you take? Either way, I too am at this point not having success with my diff's.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Anyone looked at how the electric actuation cables run into the top housing of the rear differential?

Looking at mine, it looks like the cable is pulled a little and the top grommet has some strain on it forcing it sideways? the concern being it may not be as watertight as it is supposed to be...

It's either got to come up straight; or even better would have been a right angled connector, with some rudimentary guard in front:

View attachment 7814948View attachment 7814949
It seems to be built on purpose, :unsure: :eek: I have the same bending
20230625_141729.jpg20230625_141902.jpg20230625_142236.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly the same experience for me yesterday, also.
I can genuinely empathise.

In addition, I was also having some problems getting the vehicle into Low ratio although with practice it is getting a little bit easier.
I'm putting it into low range once I reach home and driving it inside in low, just to help free everything up.

You mentioned the front diff symbol but your photograph shows the rear diff as being engaged. Is it one of those things that depends on the view you take? Either way, I too am at this point not having success with my diff's.

This photo ~ clearly shows its the front (steerable) axle whilst the issue was locking the rear axle:
IMG_20230624_194954561_HDR.jpg

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's not pretty is it!

I imagine it must be a deep grommet/bung similar to what other Eaton ship with:
View attachment 7817880
Not pretty at all, but I hope the water seal is somewhere deeper in the casing. because what we see doesn't seem water proof.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if I can get the agent to make sure 'working diffs' are part of the PDI at Jardines. I need those buggers to work on demand. Otherwise it's another 2hr round trip plus lifts.

Good luck, hope it settles down.

Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What I'm convinced about ~ more than ever now ~ is the vehicle should be offered with a full day off road training session. Maybe not one to one, but maybe 5:1, in a area where you can drive around test the functions and have a technical expert on hand to discuss the functions.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not pretty at all, but I hope the water seal is somewhere deeper in the casing. because what we see doesn't seem water proof.
Your photos are great. I fail to see how anyone looking at them cannot think there is an issue ~ whether that's minimum bend radius on the cables or grommet/bung being deformed/stretched.

Makes me question if the whole assembly on the top of the diff casing has actually been installed in the right orientation?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can genuinely empathise.

I'm putting it into low range once I reach home and driving it inside in low, just to help free everything up.

This photo ~ clearly shows its the front (steerable) axle whilst the issue was locking the rear axle:
View attachment 7817878
Looking at that pic, still not seeing either diff as locked. What am I missing? Probably something blatantly obvious.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What I'm convinced about ~ more than ever now ~ is the vehicle should be offered with a full day off road training session. Maybe not one to one, but maybe 5:1, in a area where you can drive around test the functions and have a technical expert on hand to discuss the functions.
Believe me or not, I was, 10 minutes ago looking if there were 4x4 courses available in my region. I have some experience, but none in winching for instance.

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
It's still a silly question, but have you tried driving a few meters backwards when the differentials are not disconnected? , on the Defender it was common to have to do this when the diff was not unlocked manually

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at that pic, still not seeing either diff as locked. What am I missing? Probably something blatantly obvious.
No neither diff is. The orange symbol was flashing as the *rear* diff was trying to lock. The orange symbol shows it being the *front* diff.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
If possible, after some drives through rain, do an oil change in the axle to check if water got in. You also could wait a few hours and just let a few Milliliter drain out to see if it is water or a brown mix of oil and water. Ignoring that, if it is not sealed could cost you the differential. Yes, it is still warranty, but who wants to get stuck with a broken differential. Even if it doesn't get broken, it can wear more than normal. A little bit of water entering the oil is not dramatic. Long drives will heat things up and the water evaporates. But when it is too much or sums up because you only take short trips or you may have forted, it could be worth it to check (and have another evidence.

AWo

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just tried my diff locks again in a field. Rear shows as engaged, front flashing red in the status panel but shows nothing on centre screen. Won’t switch off following return to normal driving. Rear shows as engaged for quite some time.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just tried my diff locks again in a field. Rear shows as engaged, front flashing red in the status panel but shows nothing on centre screen. Won’t switch off following return to normal driving. Rear shows as engaged for quite some time.
Flashing red is bad, isn't it?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Flashing red is bad, isn't it?
Not too fussed at this point. Will add it to the list of things to be addressed when next at the dealer. I don't think it was ever properly engaged as I could feel no difference in the vehicle behaviour. Also, not showing as engaged in the centre screen.

Back
Top Bottom