The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Just spent two weeks hunting, which was to be a test for the oem dual battery system and my own requirements. since i posted my build here, ive gone on to add an engel 40L fridge and a cheap 80w renogy solar panel. I wired 12awg solar cables (via a 20a fuse) to my roof rack through the external roof connections at the front right (pull the handle off, pop the electrical cover off and snake wires through the rubber gasket to reach on the inside by pulling off a couple interior push plugs from the ceiling, and sneak down the inside of the door seal to the battery compartment). For good mesure i put a renogy 500a shunt onto the secondary battery; my reasoning was that the electrons from the solar panel to the D250SE would be directed to the secondary battery, then trickle back to the primary battery via the smartpass when the secondary was fully charged. had both batteries on a trickle charger before leaving. The secondary never did better than 56% SOC according to the shunt. Odd but didnt think much of it. Out in the wild i would have primary battery SOC 70-80% by 530 AM most days (in the tents by 2100 most nights) which seems appropriate for the draw of the fridge and light use the night before. This is as per Ineos SOC monitor visible under the offroad headings. My renogy monitor showed a gradual decline in SOC of secondary battery, so that by day 12 it was reading 16%, and never seemed to charge during the day despite the miles. the smartpass and d250se never registered a fault and seemed to indicate appropriate charging function according to their lights. I did notice on one hot sunny day that the primary battery had charged by 10% while we were out walking. Im not sure what to make of it all, but dont like that i cant puzzle out or monitor my batteries better. I think i will be switching to a more conventional system, and powering everthing off the secondary battery (or batteries if the black friday sales are good).
Think about fitting a cheap BLE battery monitor to both batteries, so you can see what is happening to each battery individually. The 120S and 250SE combo have worked for me with a similar setup. I know with near certainty, using the BLE, that the solar panel is charging both batteries.

Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
while driving home i was thinking i should et some of those monitors jean mercier had written about, i just havent had a chance to look them up yet, literally been home for 19hr and have a few more things to clean up still

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
while driving home i was thinking i should et some of those monitors jean mercier had written about, i just havent had a chance to look them up yet, literally been home for 19hr and have a few more things to clean up still
The same monitor, I have used them for years on another vehicle and battery boxes. Your local eBay or Amazon should have them. Look around some people charge way over market. Here they cost around AUD33 to 35 dollars, plus postage. The BLE can be marketed under different names, most of which are more expensive than the BLE branded ones.

Ancel is offering something similar which I testing now.

Back
Top Bottom