The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
Ok …
Another question ….
Is there a foldable or easily moved solar blanket system on the market now that has in built voltage regulator or MPPT system that could be attached to the jump start terminals on a dual battery vehicle fitted only with factory smartpass 120?
Or is this approach better suited to a direct connection to the aux battery?
I’m trying to be as simple as possible but retain the flexibility (quite literally) of a moveable blanket panel 🤔
I guess I’m trying to see what others might have done to “improve” the system they have already installed instead of just adopting an existing solution as detailed here and elsewhere 🤷🏼‍♂️
Cheers all 😁

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Ok …
Another question ….
Is there a foldable or easily moved solar blanket system on the market now that has in built voltage regulator or MPPT system that could be attached to the jump start terminals on a dual battery vehicle fitted only with factory smartpass 120?
I’m trying to be as simple as possible but retain the flexibility (quite literally) of a moveable blanket panel 🤔
I guess I’m trying to see what others might have done to “improve” the system they have already installed instead of just adopting an existing solution as detailed here and elsewhere 🤷🏼‍♂️
Cheers all 😁

We have the 240W, easiest to connect direct to the aux battery.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok …
Another question ….
Cheers all 😁
Hardkorr make some options that may suit your needs here. Some of the choices have MPPT regulators and crocodile clips.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
Ok …
Another question ….
Cheers all 😁
I have two 100w suitcase style solar panels with inbuilt mppt controllers and I connect these to the jump start terminal under the bonnet. A bit bulkier than the blanket style solar panels but very tough, durable and efficient.

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
I have two 100w suitcase style solar panels with inbuilt mppt controllers and I connect these to the jump start terminal under the bonnet. A bit bulkier than the blanket style solar panels but very tough, durable and efficient.
I bought a solar blanket (130 Watt) and will use it exactly in the same way as you by installing it atvthe jump start controllers. Just to compensate the „drain“. I guess that is the easieat way. Hope that will work……will report after installation.
Logsplitter, do you have a system installed to the two batteries to check how much of the power is „delivered“ to the batteries?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
I bought a solar blanket (130 Watt) and will use it exactly in the same way as you by installing it atvthe jump start controllers. Just to compensate the „drain“. I guess that is the easieat way. Hope that will work……will report after installation.
Logsplitter, do you have a system installed to the two batteries to check how much of the power is „delivered“ to the batteries?
No system installed to check batterries. All very basic at the moment . Everything worked as planned on my travels. Fridge on 24/7 used solar panels off grid and Victron 30a bluesmart charger when in powered campsites.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Ok …
Another question ….
Cheers all 😁
There certainly is. I've connected my solar panels to the jump start terminals to charge the vehicle. In my case my panels didn't come with a regulator so i bought one to run the panels through. https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/henrys-blog.12414322/post-1333263684.

Cheers
Steve

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was reading the Smartpass instructions again and found this CTek issued schematic of installation. It states that in the case of a smart alternator the red cable should be connected to an ignition feed - this is not the case in my Grenadier and the red wire simply has some shrink wrap over the end of the wire.

Usually, this would mean that when the smart alternator senses that the starter battery is fully charged it will stop producing current and (potentially) the second battery would not receive any current (charge). I had this in my hybrid camper recently where the DC-DC charger did not sense any current from the vehicle alternator and would stop charging the camper batteries. I remedied this by installing an alternator sensing relay which basically tricks the DC-DC charger into thinking the alternator is supplying current even when it's not and my problem was solved.

So, in theory, the second battery will only be charged when the alternator is running because the starter battery is not fully charged. Although this is probably academic as there are no loads on the second battery it does make me wonder.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 183849.jpg

Anyone have any idea why the red cable is not connected to an ignition source in the Grenadier.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
I was reading the Smartpass instructions again and found this CTek issued schematic of installation. It states that in the case of a smart alternator the red cable should be connected to an ignition feed - this is not the case in my Grenadier and the red wire simply has some shrink wrap over the end of the wire.

Usually, this would mean that when the smart alternator senses that the starter battery is fully charged it will stop producing current and (potentially) the second battery would not receive any current (charge). I had this in my hybrid camper recently where the DC-DC charger did not sense any current from the vehicle alternator and would stop charging the camper batteries. I remedied this by installing an alternator sensing relay which basically tricks the DC-DC charger into thinking the alternator is supplying current even when it's not and my problem was solved.

So, in theory, the second battery will only be charged when the alternator is running because the starter battery is not fully charged. Although this is probably academic as there are no loads on the second battery it does make me wonder.

View attachment 7858600

Anyone have any idea why the red cable is not connected to an ignition source in the Grenadier.
Don't quote me but I think its because the grenadier has a basic SOC monitor on the main battery that does this job.... sort-of....

Cheers

Steve

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score

There was a recent thread (in French) where the guy was having issues getting a full charge of his main battery. IIRC, he hoodked up the red wire to ignition, and noticed much better charging of the main. I don’t remember if he monitored the second battery during this.

Never thought about the other way around on this, where the secondary battery has no way to ‘tell’ the system that it’s low and to keep charging

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their great suggestions and I now have many options 👍🏼
I’m still pondering the intelligence of this as installed two battery system especially with regard to the auxiliary battery…
When static with no alternator running but with a solar panel providing positive charge to the whole system via the jump start connections. Will this charge one or both batteries to full capacity over time and how does it do whatever it does in terms of its “control systems”. I’m talking about the basic as supplied two battery and Ctek 120 setup.
Just thinking out loud and picking others’ brains.
I’m awaiting my @Jean Mercier chinese spy battery monitors to be delivered, so can not do insitu observations yet 🙄

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their great suggestions and I now have many options 👍🏼
I’m still pondering the intelligence of this as installed two battery system especially with regard to the auxiliary battery…
When static with no alternator running but with a solar panel providing positive charge to the whole system via the jump start connections. Will this charge one or both batteries to full capacity over time and how does it do whatever it does in terms of its “control systems”. I’m talking about the basic as supplied two battery and Ctek 120 setup.
Just thinking out loud and picking others’ brains.
I’m awaiting my @Jean Mercier chinese spy battery monitors to be delivered, so can not do insitu observations yet 🙄
It is likely the solar panels will charge both batteries, as both batteries are connected and will equalise. I can see this on my solar panel thread here.

I also have more graphs, not posted, which strongly suggest the equalisation is going both ways, but I need more time in the field to confirm this observation.

I have a CTEK120S and 250SE installed.

Last edited:

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is likely the solar panels will charge both batteries, as both batteries are connected and will equalise. I can see this on my solar panel thread here.

I also have more graphs, not posted, which strongly suggest the equalisation is going both ways, but I need more time in the field to conform this observation.

I have a CTEK120S and 250SE installed.
Thanks Doc, helpful as always 😁👍🏼
Just thinking again…
I guess an advantage of having either the 250se or similar solar regulator/ charge manager fitted to the system will enable a panel or blanket to be directly plugged into a Deutsche plug on the roof area or somewhere inside the vehicle. Is this correct?
Cheers

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Doc, helpful as always 😁👍🏼
Just thinking again…
I guess an advantage of having either the 250se or similar solar regulator/ charge manager fitted to the system will enable a panel or blanket to be directly plugged into a Deutsche plug on the roof area or somewhere inside the vehicle. Is this correct?
Cheers
Yes. But you could run an Anderson plug (or Deutsch DTP from the roof) direct to the main battery, and plug in the solar panel with a regulator and get something similar.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There was a recent thread (in French) where the guy was having issues getting a full charge of his main battery. IIRC, he hoodked up the red wire to ignition, and noticed much better charging of the main. I don’t remember if he monitored the second battery during this.

Never thought about the other way around on this, where the secondary battery has no way to ‘tell’ the system that it’s low and to keep charging
Unless you have a load connected to the second battery it should not lose much charge other than through trickle charging the starter battery. The second battery has no other loads and is purely there to assist with starting when the main battery is too weak to start the vehicle. It has virtually no other function and is an extra 40kg of insurance that we are dragging around. It certainly is not the usual dual battery setup.

When the warranty expires I will deal with this extra weight and rejig the system to be a regular dual battery system. I'm also waiting (with bated breath) for some electrical diagrams which might shed more light on the system.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi.

Has someone used the Ecoflow 160 panel to charge the Gren via the Ctek 250?

I know few out there use the 220, but the extra 10cm both dimensions drive additional storage complexity with my setup.

Dont think the bifazial design of the 220 is important in my camp setup, so the 160 might be enough to keep both batteries charged enough for few days whilst running the fridge in the back…

Or maybe using 2 of the 110W ones as those fit beautifully into my build. ;)

Thanks

Timo

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi.

I know few out there use the 220, but the extra 10cm both dimensions drive additional storage complexity with my setup.

Dont think the bifazial design of the 220 is important in my camp setup, so the 160 might be enough to keep both batteries charged enough for few days whilst running the fridge in the back…

Thanks

Timo
I’m uncommitted at the moment but seriously thinking that two smaller ones will be better than a larger single panel.
I’m wondering if a NATO plug to Deutsche plug exists as a pre wired pigtail that I can plug a panel/MPPT (thanks @Logsplitter )combo into ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks

Timo
160W does work great for me, 8-10A current measured. It is already quite big and heavy, though.

Back
Top Bottom