The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
How did you get the connector bars?
Emailed CTek others have reported varied results, they don’t normally supply them separately so don’t necessarily have on hand to send. I got lucky, others haven’t, bit of a lottery

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
Emailed CTek others have reported varied results, they don’t normally supply them separately so don’t necessarily have on hand to send. I got lucky, others haven’t, bit of a lottery
Well, after reading all these interesting posts about the combination of the Smartpass and the 250SE, I tried to get the connector plates.

My question:

Hello CTEK,
I bought an Ineos Grenadier 4x4 car.
The car is equipped with a Smartpass 120S, factory mounted.
The box and manual were inside the car at delivery, but WITHOUT connection plates (should have been in the box!).
I will buy and install also a CTEK 250SE.
How can I obtain your connection plates?
Thanks for your answer.

And here the answer:

Thank you for contacting us.
I'm sorry for this confusion with your Smartpass and your Ineos Grenadier.
The Smartpass that is installed within your vehicle is a special setup specifically designed for your car and might not be compatible with the D250SE and that might be the reason why these plates are missing.
We recommend to get in contact with the car manufacturer (Ineos) for more specific information, since it is a special system designed for their vehicles that i don't have an insight or knowledge about.

Red, bold and underlined is my "editing".
The "might" is a very scientific answer!

I asked them to review their answer. :confused:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, after reading all these interesting posts about the combination of the Smartpass and the 250SE, I tried to get the connector plates.

My question:

Hello CTEK,
The box and manual were inside the car at delivery, but WITHOUT connection plates (should have been in the box!).
Thanks for your answer.

And here the answer:

The Smartpass that is installed within your vehicle is a special setup specifically designed for your car and might not be compatible with the D250SE and that might be the reason why these plates are missing.
We recommend to get in contact with the car manufacturer (Ineos) for more specific information, since it is a special system designed for their vehicles that i don't have an insight or knowledge about.

Wow, ok that’s a worry. I have seen that one at least posted here didn’t have the normal markings on it. They didn’t say that to me when I requested, they congratulated me on the purchase and sent me the bars.

@Stu_Barnes do you have a line of contact with INEOS many ofnus have spent money on this and aftermarket people like @Black Sheep are making products for this. It would be critical that INEOS provide information on this

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, ok that’s a worry. I have seen that one at least posted here didn’t have the normal markings on it. They didn’t say that to me when I requested, they congratulated me on the purchase and sent me the bars.

@Stu_Barnes do you have a line of contact with INEOS many ofnus have spent money on this and aftermarket people like @Black Sheep are making products for this. It would be critical that INEOS provide information on this

Not sure if this is at all reassuring, but when I sent an email to CTEK requesting the connecting bars, my enquiry was handled by CTEK's Regional Manager for APAC, and he was quite happy to send the bars to me, and I had indicated that they were to connect a D250SE to a 120S in a Grenadier.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if this is at all reassuring, but when I sent an email to CTEK requesting the connecting bars, my enquiry was handled by CTEK's Regional Manager for APAC, and he was quite happy to send the bars to me, and I had indicated that they were to connect a D250SE to a 120S in a Grenadier.
Same

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score

My question:

Hello CTEK,
Thanks for your answer.

And here the answer:

Very interesting information, if I believe it - I have saved myself some money. 👍

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well so far my 250 is working fine - lights on appropriately etc.. Haven't as yet attached solar but will report when I do.

Have emailed Ineos. I bet Tina * from the mudguard desk knows the answer to this one:

* https://www.theineosforum.com/attachments/7823160/

Hi, my Grenadier has a dual battery system and came with a CTEK 120S battery charger in situ. Many of us (me included) wish to add the ability to use solar panels particularly for charging the batteries whilst overlanding and camping. To help this I have bought and installed a CTEK D250SE battery charge controller that allows for just this and is designed by CTEK to be used with dual battery systems and with the 120S device. CTEK have said they are unable to comment on the specifics of the set-up in the GRENADIER.

1. Is the 120S device in the Grenadier anything different from a normal one from CTEK?
2. Do Ineos have any comments on pairing the D250SE device by CTEK in the dual battery system?

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
Very interesting information, if I believe it - I have saved myself some money. 👍
I don't believe the Smartpass is customised for Ineos, and even if it were, why it shouldn't be compatible with the D250SE.

I think it was a way to avoid to really respond to my question. Bad answer for their business anyway: if I would believe them, I would never buy their other products :eek:

Last edited:

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't believe the Smartpass is customised for Ineos, and even if it were, why it shouldn't be compatible with the D250SE.

I think it was away to avoid to really respond to my question. Bad answer for their business anyway: if I would believe them, I would never buy their other products :eek:
Totally agree Jean.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I think it was away to avoid to really respond to my question. Bad answer for their business anyway: if I would believe them, I would never buy their other products :eek:
Jean ~ what was the first name of the person who responded to you?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have an open case with Ineos Customer Services regarding the CTEK kit, following on from the replies given by CTEK:
Post in thread 'Removing the underseat trim panels / accessing or removing the batteries' https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...moving-the-batteries.12412649/post-1333203420

Note Q4.:

Q4. - Would there be any benefit to this system in fitting a D250SE but not attaching any solar power input?
Q4. Answer: Yes a D250SE will top charge your service battery. The reason of
above led indication can be missing D250SE or/and not activated smart alternator function?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will follow some simple steps:
  1. Read what is in the CTEK manual, how to guides and view the videos (a summary of which is in the first post);
  2. Pay an auto electrician to mate the two units and advise on the correct set up;
  3. Connecting the “Smart alternator cable” is intended to let the CTEK know a smart alternator is fitted to the car and have the charger function properly.
  4. I am going with what the auto electrician tells me. I suspect the “Smart alternator cable” will get connected.
  5. If something goes wrong, I will ask the auto electrician to fix it.
  6. Loose no sleep over the INEOS help desk CTEK "advice".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom