The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score
I have complained to customer service and they say they sent my original question to the technical team.

View attachment 7823919
I don't think they get the question - you can't use the existing 120S to add solar charging

I suppose I don't blame them - if you modify the electrics - it's all at your risk. Consequently, why would they advise you on how to do it, unless they offer the modification themselves.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if 120 versions without a model number were intended to be installed as Ineos factory components (the paper label on @Tomdoc 's says Ineos and Ctek) but they ran out during the pandemic? Maybe they were forced to grab them off the shelf or from third party vendors. Didn't some folks get a factory Ctek 120S box in the boot or under a seat?
Yes got the box too

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
The 120 box comes with the car
The 120 box has the manual in it
The 120 manual has instructions/details regarding connecting the 120 to a 250
If the instructions are in the car, it applies to the vehicle

Pretty straightforward at this point

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No box, no connectors, manual in glove box with owner's manual. Asked the chief tech...that's how it arrived at the dealership.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Conversation at Ineos HQ:

Engineer: "They're complaining online about the CTEK boxes not having the connector bars in"

Senior Manager: "Speak to the factory and get them to take the boxes out as well"

Problem sorted.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No box, no connectors, manual in glove box with owner's manual. Asked the chief tech...that's how it arrived at the dealership.
I dont understand why they even include the box. I mean you dont get the box that anything else was supplied in. However, the dealer/agent would have removed it in your case, I'd be 99.99% on that. Doesn't matter though, the point is the manual is there.

The manual identifies the 250. It is a reasonable person's assumption therefore that you can connect a 250 to the 120.

Ineos gave you the manual, the manual says you can, therefore Ineos says you can.

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Modern legal 🐂 💩 means they understandably don't want to approve of us doing "modifications".

However we need to be strong in our continued intent to do just exactly that.

They supplied the vehicle as a gritty off-road adventure truck..... so we are gonna modify it.

It would be great if the company came along with us on the adventure, but if they don't want to - then I'm going anyway.

TBH I am also sure Sir Jim would agree.

GavinD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone know of drawer fitting shop on Sydney north shore?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
So we have the situation that INEOS CS can't answer the questions they are supposed to answer.
Secondly, we get different answers which vary from "we don't know" to "don't modify".
And we have an original CTek manual which explains how to install an additional 250 device, but on the other hand an answer from CTek saying that the installed 120 is a custom version with unknown capabilities.

🥳

...​

Are they kidding us?

This was a comedy if it wasn't such a tragedy.

And I'd consider it grossly negligent from INEOS to include a manual which might be wrong but suggests an extension installation which would in face of two very high power devices (i.e. batteries) be able to trigger a catastrophic failure.

Perhaps it isn't wrong. But what is CS then telling us?

I wonder if the only skills they (CS) have is to speak English and German and to operate a telephone.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if the only skills they (CS) have is to speak English and German and to operate a telephone.
You forgot French ;)

You are certainly right, but don't shoot the pianist. Not their fault, they (Laura, Lala, Philippe, and perhaps one or two others) do their best but are handling according to the training they got.

It is the management of Ineos that is to blame: better no customer support than such a ridiculous unworthy solution!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@Jean Mercier, yes, I agree with you.

But it is always the same: If you call a hotline, which is there to help you, they basically tell you that they can't help you. So a hotline is no more than a firewall for the management against their customers. And thus you can't get to the responsible.

So they, CS, are the only ones we can talk to. And it's their job to deal with that. I don't need a tea party for a nice conversation.

If everyone stays polite and compliant at all times, nothing will change. The only way is to make CS aware of our troubles and increase the pressure for them to escalate it to those higher up. But I always tell people on the phone that my anger isn't directed at them personally and that I know they are doing what they can, but that I'm still not amused and therefore have clear words that they'd please pass along to their superiors.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
But I always tell people on the phone that my anger isn't directed at them personally and that I know they are doing what they can, but that I'm still not amused and therefore have clear words that they'd please pass along to their superiors.
They need a "this call is being recorded for training purposes" thing.
That way , someone higher up the chain might be involved.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got the box, manual inside. Box and unit clearly marked as CTEK Smartpass 120S there was even a an empty small plastic packet inside the box of a shape and size remarkably suitable for a pair of connector bars.
IMG_4573.jpeg

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update on this topic. As I said - I separately contacted my dealer who in turn contacted Ineos technical and they replied. I have kept it anonymous:

Adding in the items he has said will not invalidate the warranty.

However if there was a warranty issue that could be directly attributed to the fitment of the extra Cytek charger it could effect the warranty of that item specifically. So what does this mean? The owner want to use solar panels, he fits these and routes the wiring through panels and trims etc.

If he damages the trims removing them then this would not be a warranty claim. If we (your team) removed the same panel to complete a test and it damaged that would be claimable.

Does that make sense?

Certainly with early adopters we would not be looking to dissuade them from personalising their vehicle as long as it doesn’t affect the main fabric of the vehicle.

I am satisfied with this reasonable response and I think we all should be too.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update on this topic. As I said - I separately contacted my dealer who in turn contacted Ineos technical and they replied. I have kept it anonymous:

I am satisfied with this reasonable response and I think we all should be too.
This is perfectly reasonable and aligns with consumer law in Australia at least. Some people can be quite naive in both directions about this, on one hand people believe the BS some companies put out there to scare people off that doing anything invalidates in total every aspect of your warranty, it doesn’t. On the other extreme, some people lift their cars, do a GVM upgrade post market, put big wheels on them, do an engine remap, and then when the transmission poops itself they get upset when the manufacturer suggests they may have brought this stuff on yourself.

Just do a rational and reasonable risk and risk appetite assessment on any mod you do. Be aware that any mod May affect the warranty on the specific systems it impacts and ask yourself if you are prepared to fix those things out if your own pocket if something goes wrong. Then it’s an easy decision, if the answer is yes, then do it, if no, then don’t.

Last edited:

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I fitted my new CTEK mounting plate (the specific one for the UW 2-seater) and installed the solar cables etc. All looking good and the solar panel even provided charge during the usual UK Bank Holiday rain.

1693139015305.jpeg1693139050704.jpeg

It is always a good feeling to finalise a long-pondered-on plan.

Connector plates are these ones as found by @DCPU

https://carbatterymarket.co.uk/q-batteries/q9879014

Solar panel is a rollable PowerFilm 60W version (I have two if needed.)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I fitted my new CTEK mounting plate (the specific one for the UW 2-seater) and installed the solar cables etc. All looking good and the solar panel even provided charge during the usual UK Bank Holiday rain.

View attachment 7824978View attachment 7824979

It is always a good feeling to finalise a long-pondered-on plan.

Connector plates are these ones as found by @DCPU

https://carbatterymarket.co.uk/q-batteries/q9879014

Solar panel is a rollable PowerFilm 60W version (I have two if needed.)
Thanks a lot for confirming that the @DCPU findings are OK.
I tried another time to contact CTEK last week (reply to their previous answer), and will do tomorrow again (new enquiry), showing my surprise about their unprofessional answer, but if to no avail, I will buy the said connector plates. At least I hope that shipping to European mainland doesn't cost me a fortune ;)
Nice solar Panel by the way (y)

[EDITED] @ first sight they don't deliver to European mainland! :(

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
CTEK saga continues ...

Response of CTEK today:

Hello Mr. Mercier,

I apologize for the late response to your inquiry.
Your question had been forwarded to the responsible team/department where this situation has been discussed.
The response i have gotten is:

"The battery charger that is installed in Grenadier does not have the same function as CTEK's SMARTPASS, but CTEK see no problem functionally that Grenadier battery charger is completed with a D250SE."

Therefore i can help you and send you these plates.
Should i send them to the address given below?

Med vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards,
Tim

I did ask what the difference is between the Smartpass and the Ineos Smartpass, curious if I will get an answer!

Back
Top Bottom