The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Comprehensive list of all known Grenadier Side Steps

RyanT

Supporting Vendor
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
What maintenance?? Paint gets scratched on either one and will need touched up either way, and the 1/4" steel I have on other rigs looks fine 10-20 years later. Honestly, SS is a solution looking for a problem. The ss buzz units are 3mm. The mounting arms get bent in transit. Gusset all you want, but slam that on a rock and it's gonna dent. Body protection isn't where weight is the first priority.
@Zimm if you are going to provide "information" at least have the courtesy of making sure it's correct...

To be clear, we have not had any mounting arms bend in transit or through any form of use or abuse our rocklisders have been put through. What you are referring to is a tab on the centre mounting plate that there were a small handful that were bent in transit. of 36 sets that were shipped there were three reports of this happening. We've shipped over 200 sets out our rockslides all over the world (Australia, Mongolia, UAE, New Zealand to mention a few) this year and other than these three we haven't had any other reports of damage to them in transit or otherwise.

Then saying SS is a solution looking for a problem, perhaps if you dont live in areas with high road salt or inclement weather. What we have in the UK and what alot of our customers who live in similar or harsher climates rusts mild steel incredibly quickly. So you aren’t just giving something a quick touch up, it's usually a case of getting parts sandblasted and recoated.In our opinion there is noting worst than rusty parts on a relatively new vehicle. We see it all the time over here.

Also comparing 3mm316 SS to Mild steel isn't a like for like comparison. Stainless is stronger than mild steel which allows us to use a thinner gauge and reap the benefits of some weight saving on an already heavy rig along with providing something that is impervious to corrosion.

Cheers

Last edited:
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
@Zimm if you are going to provide "information" at least have the courtesy of making sure it's correct...

To be clear, we have not had any mounting arms bend in transit or through any form of use or abuse our rocklisders have been put through. What you are referring to is a tab on the centre mounting plate that there were a small handful that were bent in transit. of 36 sets that were shipped there were three reports of this happening. We've shipped over 200 sets out our rockslides all over the world (Australia, Mongolia, UAE, New Zealand to mention a few) this year and other than these three we haven't had any other reports of damage to them in transit or otherwise.

Then saying SS is a solution looking for a problem, perhaps if you dont live in areas with high road salt or inclement weather. What we have in the UK and what alot of our customers who live in similar or harsher climates rusts mild steel incredibly quickly. So you aren’t just giving something a quick touch up, it's usually a case of getting parts sandblasted and recoated.In our opinion there is noting worst than rusty parts on a relatively new vehicle. We see it all the time over here.

Also comparing 3mm316 SS to Mild steel isn't a like for like comparison. Stainless is stronger than mild steel which allows us to use a thinner gauge and reap the benefits of some weight saving on an already heavy rig along with providing something that is impervious to corrosion.

Cheers
Yea, the mounting tabs bent. When you put pressure on a slider the tabs are the fulcrum point of the lever arm, the point that will see the most force, yet, the post man can bend them. 3mm (3/32nd nominal) ss has about 10k more tensile strength but the shallow cross section equates to more distortion than 3/16 or 1/4 carbon (what the impact surface and mounting brackets ought to be). Also, I live in a area where the rod crew gets overtime to turn the streets into salt flats at a whiff of snow. My fj60 is holier than a priest, but the sliders (main body 2x4x1/4 tube) look new after 20 years. 1) go wheeling 2) bash and drag them over rocks 3) at some point every few years give the scratches a quick rub with 220-400 paper and a shot of paint. The same process you're going to have to do to SS units if you want to get rid of scratches, assuming they are doing more than looking cool.

Here's a pic from this morning after licking fingers to wipe a spot off. 1/4 square and round, 20 years old, 20 years of salt/slush winters, and the first re-tread taping and complete single coat repaint was this summer. Where's the rust?

Are they heavier? f**k yea. This isn't a race truck. Due the stout design, it's already grossly overweight for what it is. The aftermarket body protection is the cheap expendable to protect the body from expensive repairs and is NOT where one decides to be a weight wienie with 3mm mounting brackets that can't survive a drop from the FeEx guy, let alone a drop on a rock with 6000 pounds on top of it. The main runners expected to take an impact are the same material. To me whats telling isn't that only three bent in shipping, it's that any of them could be bent bent at all. A freight company ought to be able to bash them with the tip of a forklift, and only produce a scratch.

cheers.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 17

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
You mention this slider is still a bit too high to be a convenient step. I assume this observation applies to all steps where the step surface is directly below the IG's black plastic rocker panel. I tested it out by lifting my foot into that level, and it felt high!
I just replaced my step with a slider. I have the dissent off-road slider. It's a bit of a higher foot hold than the stock Ineos step but not annoyingly so. I found the factory slider to be really uncomfortable to use as a step to get into the vehicle.

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
I just replaced my step with a slider. I have the dissent off-road slider. It's a bit of a higher foot hold than the stock Ineos step but not annoyingly so. I found the factory slider to be really uncomfortable to use as a step to get into the vehicle.
Thanks for the insight.. really sold on dissent’s aesthetics. Recognize something like the owl slider is lower and more step friendly but it’s aesthetics is not my cup of tea

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm posting pictures of steps into the "what have you done to your grenadier today" thread on the next 5 minutes. They are really legit

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope this helps someone.
I asked the dissent guys what I should use if I scratch the paint off the slider, specifically underneath it.
They did not recommend regular paint, they recommended duplicolor truck bed liner. They said it works much better.

Attached is a pic of the product they recommend that I took in their shop
PXL_20241004_182247049.jpg

Back
Top Bottom