The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Work light on roof grab bar

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
Anyone has a recommendation for a decent led light to mount either on the roof rack or the roof grab bar?

I don't want to mount a small light bar typically used as a forward spotlight, I need think they are much too strong. Ideally I seek something that can be dimmed or something that isn't super bright or high wattage.

I've been looking but haven't found anything so far. I'd use it at camp and as a work light. A dimmable light would be awesome, I would even hook up a control box that can dim just for the moments when I need dimming but I don't know if something like that exists for 12v lighting the way it exists for my 110v house led bulbs.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone has a recommendation for a decent led light to mount either on the roof rack or the roof grab bar?

I don't want to mount a small light bar typically used as a forward spotlight, I need think they are much too strong. Ideally I seek something that can be dimmed or something that isn't super bright or high wattage.

I've been looking but haven't found anything so far. I'd use it at camp and as a work light. A dimmable light would be awesome, I would even hook up a control box that can dim just for the moments when I need dimming but I don't know if something like that exists for 12v lighting the way it exists for my 110v house led bulbs.
IMG_8799.jpeg

I have added a pair or ARB “Base” lights that draw 0.9 watts each (fixed intensity).They are wired to the rooftop power outlets with DTP connectors.

Grenji

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7860002

I have added a pair or ARB “Base” lights that draw 0.9 watts each (fixed intensity).They are wired to the rooftop power outlets with DTP connectors.
Bummed. I did the same and purchased a Fieldmaster that the order was abandoned like the OP. Didn’t even think of how useful this would be. I don’t think it has power as I don’t have the second battery and upgraded audio. Love my truck either way and I’m sure I’ll find another option.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Was it literally plug and play?
Most work lights come with wire ends and you need to add the DTP plug. Which is easy if you have the DTP crimper and spare pins/sockets (as the DTP plug comes with the rooftop outlets). Then you plug and play.

A list of Australian suppliers of work lights is here. Lightforce and STEDI I think can be sourced in the US. The Teralume strip light is really good , and I have seen it marketed under different names, but I do not know any US suppliers.

Last edited:

QRgren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Running S2s. Had to add the DTP but was fairly easy with the correct crimping tool.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have stedi 12 inch floods that I'm adding to either side once I have a chance. Just made the DTP harnesses the other night.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Stedi cube light on my custom bracket. I needed to stay fully below the rack and still clear the door. Stainless bracket mounts to both top & bottom of the rack, rock solid and gets the job done.

I bought a Stedi harness, shortened it, replaced a DT with a DTP, then it was plug and play.

IMG_7243.jpeg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Narva also has suitable work lights. Narva and STEDI (plus others) are now owned by NAPA.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7860002

Another vote for the ARB base rack lights. I posted about them here and added some night pictures a few posts later.
The included DT plugs need to be swapped to DTP to match the roof outlets.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Another vote for the ARB base rack lights. I posted about them here and added some night pictures a few posts later.
The included DT plugs need to be swapped to DTP to match the roof outlets.
Thank You, Clark, for your original post that guided me to this solution!

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Was it literally plug and play?
No, not at all. The first set of the needed DTP replacement plugs were of the ‘solid barrel’ type. Neither I nor my auto-electrical technician wanted to spend several hundred dollars for the specialized heavy duty crimping tool that would be needed for this one job and so I sourced lighter weight ‘open barrel’ connectors that were more easily fitted.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, not at all. The first set of the needed DTP replacement plugs were of the ‘solid barrel’ type. Neither I nor my auto-electrical technician wanted to spend several hundred dollars for the specialized heavy duty crimping tool that would be needed for this one job and so I sourced lighter weight ‘open barrel’ connectors that were more easily fitted.
Iwiss iwd12. Around 30 bucks.
iCrimp Closed Barrel Crimper 4 Way Indent,8 Impression Type for Deutsch Solid Contacts gage 12 (IWD-12)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1V6HJ4/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Most work lights come with wire ends and you need to add the DTP plug. Which is easy if you have the DTP crimper and spare pins/sockets (as the DTP plug comes with the rooftop outlets). Then you plug and play.

A list of Australian suppliers of work lights is here. Lightforce and STEDI I think can be sourced in the US. The Teralume strip light is really good , and I have seen it marketed under different names, but I do not know any US suppliers.
Scrolled a couple of these threads on work lights. Has anyone posted pictures of these LED strips in use showing the light projection at camp? curious how the performance compares to the work lights

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Even though it says it's for DTP 12 gauge connectors I've slid it up to tighten it and it makes a solid DT connection as well.
Scrolled a couple of these threads on work lights. Has anyone posted pictures of these LED strips in use showing the light projection at camp? curious how the performance compares to the work lights
I hadn't seen pics either, which is why I chose the larger 12" bars. I'll be able to post pics in the next several days. Working a lot so it'll be urban, but I live on a dark enough street to get an idea.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Daylight only shots on the forum here. I think the Teralume website has night shots. Adjustable light output, and they look pretty bright in the daylight.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stedi cube light on my custom bracket. I needed to stay fully below the rack and still clear the door. Stainless bracket mounts to both top & bottom of the rack, rock solid and gets the job done.

I bought a Stedi harness, shortened it, replaced a DT with a DTP, then it was plug and play.

View attachment 7860046

+1 for Stedi Cube.

I have one each side, bolted to bottom of Front Runner rack such that I can swivel them.

Very happy with spread & power of the light, esp. during camping.

Back
Top Bottom