The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Wolfbox is installed and it is very cool

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
After a few months of member installations, I decided to install the Wolfbox 900 and now I can finally see! The 900 provides such a clear and wide angle that it nearly eliminates the blind spot issue that many have noted. I used the optional 30 foot Camera cable set and 12V car charger. The Camera cable is composed to two sections: 1) Mirror cable with pin end & coupling end; 2) Camera cable with coupling end.

The roof console was opened following the instructions HERE. The roof level back door latch trim was removed as well as the first headliner button nearest to the right of the roof latch. Using a fiberglass fish tape and industrial endoscope (taped together every couple of feet with endoscope at lead position – photo below)

1720282543895.png

the combo was advanced above the headliner from the back door latch area toward the roof console opening. The fish tape will tend to bend but mitigated by the stiffer endoscope and the slight bend helps navigate the leading edge to avoid light housings, roof cross members, etc. Once at the opening, the Mirror cable coupling end was taped to the fish tape endoscope combo and pulled back to the rear door latch. The rear right window trim and upper corner trim (those nearest to the 2/3 door hinge) were removed but lower corner trim was only loosened. Just the fish tape was then used to advance the Mirror cable coupling end above the headliner from the door latch to the corner. The cargo floor liner needed to be partially disconnected at the corner. Then the coupling end of the Mirror cable was guided down the corner and with a little jiggling through a small gap that led to the door piston connection area – blue arrow in photo below.

1720282576221.png

Next, the camera was placed inside and bolted to the back door upper inside trim piece as near to center as possible (photo below) – first removing the bottom of the two-piece plastic window trim. Loosened the upper trim piece away from the back door enough to drill two holes to receive very small bolts (from any hardware store) to attach the camera mount to the trim. Also, a small portion of trim was cut to fit the wire.

1720282616072.png

The Camera cable coupling end was extended down the side of the door toward the cross member at the bottom of the window (note it reaches to just below the upper trim piece – red arrow).

1720282643983.png

For the Mirror cable coupling end to the meet the Camera cable at the coupling point another 7/16” hole was drilled and grommeted near the bottom of the window (location is variable) – see blue arrow above. Wires were taped in place once connection was made.

I had already removed the back door cubby to replace it with the GP Factor table/cubby so it was off the door. The Mirror cable coupling end was extended along the door piston (held in place with plastic wire mesh cable organizer) to where I drilled and grommeted a 7/16” hole near the bottom of the door – the location was chosen to minimize cable movement from opened to closed door position – blue arrow below. The cable along the door piston is the only exposed cable of the installation.

1720282677169.png

Back at the roof console the Mirror cable pin end was snaked using a #10 gauge insulated wire. #10wire was advanced from where the windshield meets the upper right corner of the ADAS camera box and pushed toward the console opening. Once through the #10wire & Mirror cable pin end were taped and carefully pulled back through - the headline is flexible at the windshield and can be carefully pushed in to allow the Mirror cable pin + #10 wire to reach daylight. Extra cable was coiled in the roof console.

1720282700051.png

Ran the 12V car charger wire along the left front headliner, down the left “A” pillar and along the door weather stripping to the auxiliary interior footwell 12V wires. Connected the footwell wires to a two port 12V receptacle which was attached to the footwell trim piece – similar to the you tube video HERE. As an alternative the 12V car charger wire is just long enough to be placed under the dashboard and reach the center console 12V outlet.

1720282720954.png

It was a full morning job, but well worth the result judging from the excellent mirror display.

Links:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
After a few months of member installations, I decided to install the Wolfbox 900 and now I can finally see! The 900 provides such a clear and wide angle that it nearly eliminates the blind spot issue that many have noted. I used the optional 30 foot Camera cable set and 12V car charger. The Camera cable is composed to two sections: 1) Mirror cable with pin end & coupling end; 2) Camera cable with coupling end.

The roof console was opened following the instructions HERE. The roof level back door latch trim was removed as well as the first headliner button nearest to the right of the roof latch. Using a fiberglass fish tape and industrial endoscope (taped together every couple of feet with endoscope at lead position – photo below)

View attachment 7862600

the combo was advanced above the headliner from the back door latch area toward the roof console opening. The fish tape will tend to bend but mitigated by the stiffer endoscope and the slight bend helps navigate the leading edge to avoid light housings, roof cross members, etc. Once at the opening, the Mirror cable coupling end was taped to the fish tape endoscope combo and pulled back to the rear door latch. The rear right window trim and upper corner trim (those nearest to the 2/3 door hinge) were removed but lower corner trim was only loosened. Just the fish tape was then used to advance the Mirror cable coupling end above the headliner from the door latch to the corner. The cargo floor liner needed to be partially disconnected at the corner. Then the coupling end of the Mirror cable was guided down the corner and with a little jiggling through a small gap that led to the door piston connection area – blue arrow in photo below.

View attachment 7862601

Next, the camera was placed inside and bolted to the back door upper inside trim piece as near to center as possible (photo below) – first removing the bottom of the two-piece plastic window trim. Loosened the upper trim piece away from the back door enough to drill two holes to receive very small bolts (from any hardware store) to attach the camera mount to the trim. Also, a small portion of trim was cut to fit the wire.

View attachment 7862602

The Camera cable coupling end was extended down the side of the door toward the cross member at the bottom of the window (note it reaches to just below the upper trim piece – red arrow).

View attachment 7862603

For the Mirror cable coupling end to the meet the Camera cable at the coupling point another 7/16” hole was drilled and grommeted near the bottom of the window (location is variable) – see blue arrow above. Wires were taped in place once connection was made.

I had already removed the back door cubby to replace it with the GP Factor table/cubby so it was off the door. The Mirror cable coupling end was extended along the door piston (held in place with plastic wire mesh cable organizer) to where I drilled and grommeted a 7/16” hole near the bottom of the door – the location was chosen to minimize cable movement from opened to closed door position – blue arrow below. The cable along the door piston is the only exposed cable of the installation.

View attachment 7862604

Back at the roof console the Mirror cable pin end was snaked using a #10 gauge insulated wire. #10wire was advanced from where the windshield meets the upper right corner of the ADAS camera box and pushed toward the console opening. Once through the #10wire & Mirror cable pin end were taped and carefully pulled back through - the headline is flexible at the windshield and can be carefully pushed in to allow the Mirror cable pin + #10 wire to reach daylight. Extra cable was coiled in the roof console.

View attachment 7862605

Ran the 12V car charger wire along the left front headliner, down the left “A” pillar and along the door weather stripping to the auxiliary interior footwell 12V wires. Connected the footwell wires to a two port 12V receptacle which was attached to the footwell trim piece – similar to the you tube video HERE. As an alternative the 12V car charger wire is just long enough to be placed under the dashboard and reach the center console 12V outlet.

View attachment 7862606

It was a full morning job, but well worth the result judging from the excellent mirror display.

Links:

Bravo donnygreygrenadier, I am saving this link to when I get around to installing the Wolfbox 900. Thanks for so wonderfully documenting your install including links to the products you used for the install. What type of mount did you use for the mirror and do you have any vibrations? DaBull

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You needlessly spent money for tools that were not necessary. I installed mine without removing any panels. You can simply press the cable in the gap between the panels and the headliner, or the glass or the rubber seals. You may need to pry it open a tiny bit to fit the cable in. I mounted my camera at the top of the rear window and ran the cable left through a short length of wire sheathing from the door to the gap between the vertical gray panel and the headliner. From there I pressed the cable in under each panel joint to get to the windshield and over to the center mirror mount. Time: no more than 15 minutes

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You needlessly spent money for tools that were not necessary. I installed mine without removing any panels. You can simply press the cable in the gap between the panels and the headliner, or the glass or the rubber seals. You may need to pry it open a tiny bit to fit the cable in. I mounted my camera at the top of the rear window and ran the cable left through a short length of wire sheathing from the door to the gap between the vertical gray panel and the headliner. From there I pressed the cable in under each panel joint to get to the windshield and over to the center mirror mount. Time: no more than 15 minutes

15 minutes for the whole install ?? Am I reading that right ?

You must be popular at work, do the call you “Speedy” ?

I like the idea of not pulling loads of panels off though, that’s the bit that frightens me, I never get them back on properly.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
15 minutes for the whole install ?? Am I reading that right ?

You must be popular at work, do the call you “Speedy” ?

I like the idea of not pulling loads of panels off though, that’s the bit that frightens me, I never get them back on properly.
Only referring to routing the cable from the rear camera to the G900.

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration - this how I’d like to wire mine up. Do you have any photos of the overhead console connection and which switch you used?
I see you are using the straps to attach to your original mirror how is it for vibration ?

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it was the 9000? Most expensive one on Amazon. 4.5K resolution front / 2.5k resolution, rear.
did you get everything you needed in the box or were there any addons required for install ie. hardwire kits or extensions for rear camera ? thx

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
did you get everything you needed in the box or were there any addons required for install ie. hardwire kits or extensions for rear camera ? thx
I did purchase the extension wiring as a separate item as I didn’t want to be caught short. Depending on the route taken, it would probably be possible without, however, for the money I didn’t want to find I couldn’t complete the install on the day.

Reactions: beg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting the camera to stay attached to the plastic trim inside the rear door. I use the 3m tape but when it gets hot here the camera falls off. Any hot tips on how to make it more secure?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting the camera to stay attached to the plastic trim inside the rear door. I use the 3m tape but when it gets hot here the camera falls off. Any hot tips on how to make it more secure?
When I mounted mine on the plastic I had no joy either. Why not use the screws? If you ever change it, you can always insert small, plastic blanking plugs.

Reactions: beg

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I had a similar issue so I drilled two small holes and bolted the hinge to the plastic trim.

Back
Top Bottom