The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hitch Depth of insertion

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, did a search but couldn't find anything. Getting my hitch installed next week but need to figure out a swing away for a hitch mounted bike rack. Does anyone have the insertion depth of the stock hitch. Looks to be a pretty shallow hitch and I believe that it is capped on the end, as in, the receiver shank can't slide all the way through. Thanks

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone with a factory hitch that can grab a measurement?

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
Sure thing, what do you want me to measure?

The entire depth of the sleeve is 6”

From outside of sleeve, center of pin hole is 1 1/2” back

From inside of sleeve, center of pin hole is 4 1/2”

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sure thing, what do you want me to measure?

The entire depth of the sleeve is 6”

From outside of sleeve, center of pin hole is 1 1/2” back

From inside of sleeve, center of pin hole is 4 1/2”
Thanks for measuring, I appreciate it.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
...I have at least a dozen replies in my head that would totally derail this thread... 😊
this is not in the least bit helpful, you could at least rattle off 6 or 7:)

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
I’m sorry, and I’m not entirely sure why I thought about this thread just now…… but…… I went out to remeasure

There seems to be a bump in the receiver sleeve that limits the insertion (😂)….. (please don’t block me @Stu_Barnes )…… to 5”

Let me know if you need more info, or, not sure where in AZ you are, I can meetup if you want to test anything.

BCM09

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
3-4” from the face of the slanted plate to the vertical plate behind it at the deepest part.

So even a hitch open on both ends wouldn’t get you very far.

IMG_8530.jpeg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
I’m sorry, and I’m not entirely sure why I thought about this thread just now…… but…… I went out to remeasure

There seems to be a bump in the receiver sleeve that limits the insertion (😂)….. (please don’t block me @Stu_Barnes )…… to 5”

Let me know if you need more info, or, not sure where in AZ you are, I can meetup if you want to test anything.
My receiver hitch seems to have a spring loaded ball bearing in the bottom for anti rattle I presume. You have to give the receiver a good hard shove to get it in there properly so you can locate the pin.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks again for looking. I decided to get a swing away that uses a threaded hitch pin for the anti rattle vs the wedge types. This way I can simply cut the hitch a bit shorter if needed. Hitch is getting installed Monday so should be able to get it all figured out. Appreciate the help.

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
...I have at least a dozen replies in my head that would totally derail this thread... 😊
“that’s what she said…” first thing that came to mind, followed by an exaggerated eye roll from the wife. lol.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
Thanks again for looking. I decided to get a swing away that uses a threaded hitch pin for the anti rattle vs the wedge types. This way I can simply cut the hitch a bit shorter if needed. Hitch is getting installed Monday so should be able to get it all figured out. Appreciate the help.
Not sure what solution you ultimately went with. I stupidly didn’t get the towing option, but I managed to get my dealer to add an IG receiver after delivery (didn’t do towing electrical). With that (I use a Thule T2 Pro XTR rack), I have to use a Rocky Mounts 8” hitch extender so the rack clears the spare. No rattle, no wobble. The ONLY problem is this covers the license plate, which most cops wouldn’t do anything about, but to be sure, I got the Thule license plate holder, which I just attach to the ladder and plug into the left side rear aux port in the roof (had to add the Deutch connectors, and then just put a couple cable clips up in the airline rail to hold the cable). That way, I’m “street legal” with the bike rack mounted.

Back
Top Bottom