The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
Mine is getting into the groove of warning lights, error messages and constant alarm from PDC. Screen has gone blank when driving but battery has been around 90% and is over 14v in use. Really is annoying because the vehicle is great to drive, feels very capable. It is also very quiet vs Wolf 110.
Hope that the update resolves all of the nonsense.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
I think it was our friend @emax who explained it for the common man thus :
" Electronic sensors provide vast amounts of data, much of which is nonsensical (no pun intended). This is knowledge from the first semester for electronics engineers. Temperature, humidity, engine temperature, even vibration - this is the normal habitat of sensors. This is their fateful destiny.

The trick is in the filtering. I've had many a battle with implausible data from sensors. But since they are capable of providing thousands of measurements per second, you can (and actually have to) write algorithms that throw away implausible values. This is usually done using a Bayesian minimum variance estimator (often implemented as a Kalman filter). This is exaclty the kind of knowledge that makes a Bosch system a Bosch system and makes a car a reliable car. And it's why these high-end products are so expensive.

After filtering, you average out the values and get a (reasonably) reliable result.

I have often seen OSB logs from my old W203. It produces dozens of error messages every minute, but if they are found to be implausible, they never reach the cockpit and are just stored as an MRU list in the ECU memory only for debugging purposes. "
I think you have explained it well and I have had many errors showing, to the point of not being able to take the Gren on our last trip just returned from the Central Coast. A shame as it was going to be its first and our adventure through the back roads...back to the errors...engine...gearbox...uphill downhill assist...stability control...ABS...it's Thursday two weeks ago and we're to leave on the weekend...not going happen so left the vehicle with our agent and all sorted by Tuesday a week ago and picked her up Tuesday gone...on Wednesday I received a call from Rick the agent's service manager to tell me that the transfer case is to be replaced...he was ringing to say don't drive in low range and we will let you know when it arrives.

What did I get from the whole experience?

They gave me a car while they did their best to right the situation but what Ineos had sent didn't fix it and Ineos suggested that if we were taking a long trip it was not advisable...running around short distances well OK...the rear door table arrived and fitted...all good,

With the transfer case, they must have had a batch with an issue...because Rick should that my number had shown up...no not a raffle...but in that batch of vehicles...I take a positive position and think that Ineos is on the case[pardon the pun]and feel confident that my vehicle is their responsibility as much as mine...if not more because we are their promoters...very happy motoring.

It would be different if I was buying this vehicle for my business and I wonder if that is why the DCPU is coming now...sort the bugs out for the tradies...but I would have waited if it was to be for my business and that would have been hard...happy days ;)

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
I think you have explained it well and I have had many errors showing, to the point of not being able to take the Gren on our last trip just returned from the Central Coast. A shame as it was going to be its first and our adventure through the back roads...back to the errors...engine...gearbox...uphill downhill assist...stability control...ABS...it's Thursday two weeks ago and we're to leave on the weekend...not going happen so left the vehicle with our agent and all sorted by Tuesday a week ago and picked her up Tuesday gone...on Wednesday I received a call from Rick the agent's service manager to tell me that the transfer case is to be replaced...he was ringing to say don't drive in low range and we will let you know when it arrives.

What did I get from the whole experience?

They gave me a car while they did their best to right the situation but what Ineos had sent didn't fix it and Ineos suggested that if we were taking a long trip it was not advisable...running around short distances well OK...the rear door table arrived and fitted...all good,

With the transfer case, they must have had a batch with an issue...because Rick should that my number had shown up...no not a raffle...but in that batch of vehicles...I take a positive position and think that Ineos is on the case[pardon the pun]and feel confident that my vehicle is their responsibility as much as mine...if not more because we are their promoters...very happy motoring.

It would be different if I was buying this vehicle for my business and I wonder if that is why the DCPU is coming now...sort the bugs out for the tradies...but I would have waited if it was to be for my business and that would have been hard...happy days ;)
Was yours an early build? Mine was on batch and hold since late January/early Feb and arrived about 4 weeks ago - under 1000vin. It has the replaced transfer case in it with serial ending in the letter B indicating the replacement and as confirmed by the dealer. I thought all the early Aus built vehicles being held for so long for Q.A.... had the TC replaced but obviously not. Do you know if your TC serial ended with the letter 'B'?

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
Was yours an early build? Mine was on batch and hold since late January/early Feb and arrived about 4 weeks ago - under 1000vin. It has the replaced transfer case in it with serial ending in the letter B indicating the replacement and as confirmed by the dealer. I thought all the early Aus built vehicles being held for so long for Q.A.... had the TC replaced but obviously not. Do you know if your TC serial ended with the letter 'B'?
No idea of the T case no and how do you determine under 1000vin?...if it is the last 4 digits I am double that but the timing of the vehicle...build and delivery are almost spot on... ;)

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No idea of the T case no and how do you determine under 1000vin?...if it is the last 4 digits I am double that but the timing of the vehicle...build and delivery are almost spot on... ;)
Yes, last 4 of the vin number. On delivery I popped under and took a look at the TC serial then asked the dealer who confirmed it had been changed out prior to shipping. Guess would have been concerned if it didn't have the upgraded TC being such an early build.

Reactions: Max

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
New one today after 5 months of ownership on older firmware:
20231004_132732.jpg
Nothing connected to the USB ports! Error wouldn't clear when Confirm pressed. Had to restart the car.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7828700
Nothing connected to the USB ports! Error wouldn't clear when Confirm pressed. Had to restart the car.
Just check that there is nothing in the cuddy box rattling round that might have shorted the USB outlets. Highly unlikely but worth checking

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Brilliant mate. That’s real encouraging 😍
As long as we all don't know how exactly these "SOC" figures are derived, we're probably better off if we just ignore them. In the case of @PBD I assume they have installed a (relatively...) new & full battery, and, most importantly, have reset the the SOC-status. Something that should be possible by the user in such a vehicle. As long as we as the users don't have access to a decent diagnostic tool and a complete workshop manual, it all remains speculation.

It is hard enough to determine the SOC of a lead acid battery even with advanced methods, (EDIT: Google "soc determination of lead acid batteries") I strongly doubt that INEOS have implemented something appropriate (Please, INEOS: Prove me wrong anytime by sharing detailed information!!). A displayed 1% resolution is also, let's say, optimistic...

_If_ something like Coloumb-counting would be implemented (there seem to be current measurement devices present at the battery poles, irritatingly 2 of them at the starter battery, in both + and -), when charging the battery with an external charger when ignition is off does not change SOC figures, since the charge cannot be measured & accumulated.

I would really appreciate more information.

Have ~5000kms now, no SW update, and every km proves that the decision to buy that toy was _absolutely_right_ 😃!!

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As long as we all don't know how exactly these "SOC" figures are derived, we're probably better off if we just ignore them. In the case of @PBD I assume they have installed a (relatively...) new & full battery, and, most importantly, have reset the the SOC-status. Something that should be possible by the user in such a vehicle. As long as we as the users don't have access to a decent diagnostic tool and a complete workshop manual, it all remains speculation.

It is hard enough to determine the SOC of a lead acid battery even with advanced methods, (EDIT: Google "soc determination of lead acid batteries") I strongly doubt that INEOS have implemented something appropriate (Please, INEOS: Prove me wrong anytime by sharing detailed information!!). A displayed 1% resolution is also, let's say, optimistic...

_If_ something like Coloumb-counting would be implemented (there seem to be current measurement devices present at the battery poles, irritatingly 2 of them at the starter battery, in both + and -), when charging the battery with an external charger when ignition is off does not change SOC figures, since the charge cannot be measured & accumulated.

I would really appreciate more information.

Have ~5000kms now, no SW update, and every km proves that the decision to buy that toy was _absolutely_right_ 😃!!
Yes they fitted a new main battery and it is working fine as is the rest of the car now :ROFLMAO: 🖖

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have fitted a Bluetooth monitor on the main battery. They seem to agree if the percentage on the car system is below 80% but then the car seems to stay there and the independent monitor will go up to high 90s-100

Retep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It seems everyone who has received & driven their Grenadier and is contributing to the treads "What did you do with your Gren today" and "First impressions" are mentioning varying degrees of software issues.

Either drivers are pushing too many operational buttons, the wrong buttons or buttons in the wrong sequence - but bells are going off like it's Christmas!
J

Retep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am curious, those that have collected the Grenadier - how many are experiencing SOFTWARE / ELECTRICAL GREMLINS?
Hi, I had the software update done on Monday and the car is now absolutely perfect. Remember when you take your car to dealer to bring both keys .
God I love this car, tge more I drive it the more I love it. Makes my 2018 G wagon W463 feel like like an old Defender 😂😂😂.
The grenadier is soooo much better than the G wagon in steering / suspension / engine , cabin environment . It’s gonna be a car I will be keeping for a considerable amount of time . I get why Sir Jim stuck the defender looking front end on it but this is so far away from them . He should have stuck a land cruiser type nose on it, its build quality will prove in years to come tgat it’s more LC than LR .
I’ve said it before but if Magna Styer were left to design the G (W463) replacement then the Grenadier is damn close to what the Merc would have been .
Even with the price hikes it still stacks up against over prices Merc G & Landrover /RR.
Thanks again Ineos , now go and kick start the Hydrogen revolution .

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I had the software update done on Monday and the car is now absolutely perfect. Remember when you take your car to dealer to bring both keys .
God I love this car, tge more I drive it the more I love it. Makes my 2018 G wagon W463 feel like like an old Defender 😂😂😂.
The grenadier is soooo much better than the G wagon in steering / suspension / engine , cabin environment . It’s gonna be a car I will be keeping for a considerable amount of time . I get why Sir Jim stuck the defender looking front end on it but this is so far away from them . He should have stuck a land cruiser type nose on it, its build quality will prove in years to come tgat it’s more LC than LR .
I’ve said it before but if Magna Styer were left to design the G (W463) replacement then the Grenadier is damn close to what the Merc would have been .
Even with the price hikes it still stacks up against over prices Merc G & Landrover /RR.
Thanks again Ineos , now go and kick start the Hydrogen revolution .
I think he put the front end on that it has because more people want it to look that way than like an SUV.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7828700
Had this all the time before the SW update and always ignored it. Haven't seen it any more since update.

If it does not accept 'confirm' just try to select another tab (e.g. Home) on the left side.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this. In my vehicle it bongs as a warning and you get a very swift flash of the rear door warning on the screen. if I push the doors closed, it seems to cure it apposed to slamming them.. I’ve tried to find the rear door sensor, but have failed so far..
I got my grenadier yesterday and as soon as I left the dealers lot, this warning came on, it’s the warning light on the screen of the rear split door with a bong and the rear seat lights and third row lights go on. Swift flash appears and disappears on the screen.

Have you found the fix?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got my grenadier yesterday and as soon as I left the dealers lot, this warning came on, it’s the warning light on the screen of the rear split door with a bong and the rear seat lights and third row lights go on. Swift flash appears and disappears on the screen.

Have you found the fix?
I leave all unused seatbelts locked into their respective receiver. Rear door sensor hasn't been an issue so far.
I turn on the ignition then do my checks including turning off the Stop/Start, seatbelts, doors then start the engine. if a warning still comes up I quickly turn off the ignition and then immediately restart; turn off stop/start and drive away😉

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7828700

Driving along this afternoon listening to spotify podcast with my iphone plug into the USB centre storage box and got exact same message.

The problem was a faulty USBC cable

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up mine yesterday, already with the new software.
Everything is ok, except for the message “emergency call defective” that comes after every engine start!

Back
Top Bottom