The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
I have a thought/proposal:

We all know that there are some software gremlins and weird (false) warnings in our vehicles and are hoping that the new update will fix them. So far from what I have read on here - the 1941 SW seems to be OK.

Being of an enquiring mind and in a bid to learn more about this fantastic vehicle could we somehow ask Ineos the following:

"Hey Ineos - we like the vehicle BUT can you let us know why the silly warnings keep coming up?

We know that you are aware of them and will be trying to fix the computer stuff but why did it happen in the first place?"

Enquiring minds just wish to know!!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score

We all know that there are some software gremlins and weird (false) warnings in our vehicles and are hoping that the new update will fix them. So far from what I have read on here - the 1941 SW seems to be OK.

Being of an enquiring mind and in a bid to learn more about this fantastic vehicle could we somehow ask Ineos the following:

"Hey Ineos - we like the vehicle BUT can you let us know why the silly warnings keep coming up?

We know that you are aware of them and will be trying to fix the computer stuff but why did it happen in the first place?"

Why??
I would rather they spend their time on more important issues such as spare parts supply chains etc.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

I think it was our friend @emax who explained it for the common man thus :
" Electronic sensors provide vast amounts of data, much of which is nonsensical (no pun intended). This is knowledge from the first semester for electronics engineers. Temperature, humidity, engine temperature, even vibration - this is the normal habitat of sensors. This is their fateful destiny.

The trick is in the filtering. I've had many a battle with implausible data from sensors. But since they are capable of providing thousands of measurements per second, you can (and actually have to) write algorithms that throw away implausible values. This is usually done using a Bayesian minimum variance estimator (often implemented as a Kalman filter). This is exaclty the kind of knowledge that makes a Bosch system a Bosch system and makes a car a reliable car. And it's why these high-end products are so expensive.

After filtering, you average out the values and get a (reasonably) reliable result.

I have often seen OSB logs from my old W203. It produces dozens of error messages every minute, but if they are found to be implausible, they never reach the cockpit and are just stored as an MRU list in the ECU memory only for debugging purposes. "

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Because I want to know how my vehicle works as I have spent a shit load of money on a thing I really like and I have a yearning to know how to fix it if I am stuck - that was always their promise. Agree with the spare parts stuff too. However I will screw on BMW parts I have acquired myself if that is appropriate - the USP was that we could get to know how our vehicles work and fix them ourselves.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it was our friend @emax who explained it for the common man thus :
" Electronic sensors provide vast amounts of data, much of which is nonsensical (no pun intended). This is knowledge from the first semester for electronics engineers. Temperature, humidity, engine temperature, even vibration - this is the normal habitat of sensors. This is their fateful destiny.

The trick is in the filtering. I've had many a battle with implausible data from sensors. But since they are capable of providing thousands of measurements per second, you can (and actually have to) write algorithms that throw away implausible values. This is usually done using a Bayesian minimum variance estimator (often implemented as a Kalman filter). This is exaclty the kind of knowledge that makes a Bosch system a Bosch system and makes a car a reliable car. And it's why these high-end products are so expensive.

After filtering, you average out the values and get a (reasonably) reliable result.

I have often seen OSB logs from my old W203. It produces dozens of error messages every minute, but if they are found to be implausible, they never reach the cockpit and are just stored as an MRU list in the ECU memory only for debugging purposes. "
That is why I cried when I had to sell my 05 V6 petrol Triton, just recently... and 18-year-old vehicle that NEVER once faulted electrically, sensor or otherwise. In fact, not a single issue in its lifetime. The only thing ever fixed on the vehicle was the side and rear window tints which gave up the ghost after 17 hard years in the sun! I am cautiously optimistic with the Gren holding strong with regards to its longevity.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That is why I cried when I had to sell my 05 V6 petrol Triton, just recently... and 18-year-old vehicle that NEVER once faulted electrically, sensor or otherwise. In fact, not a single issue in its lifetime. The only thing ever fixed on the vehicle was the side and rear window tints which gave up the ghost after 17 hard years in the sun! I am cautiously optimistic with the Gren holding strong with regards to its longevity.
Personally I've never owned a car with electronic faults. Last car I bought new was a Landcruiser in 1998, and nothing newer since. So I start my Grenadier journey with a base of no faith in modern cars. But of the bunch to choose from , the IG appears on paper to be the simplest for someone who still uses a wheelbrace to remove wheelnuts.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Personally I've never owned a car with electronic faults. Last car I bought new was a Landcruiser in 1998, and nothing newer since. So I start my Grenadier journey with a base of no faith in modern cars. But of the bunch to choose from , the IG appears on paper to be the simplest for someone who still uses a wheelbrace to remove wheelnuts.
You have clearly never owned a Land Rover 🤣

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My sister owned a LR, and that is as far as my family ever ventured to LR, or ever will again. Sadly, it was a total POS fail of a vehicle. It was the Friday arvo/Sat arvo/Sun arvo/Mon morning build!!!

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have just had a Scorpion tracker fitted in the UK, all seems to have gone well, apart from the passenger airbag light is out of kilter, it looks like the tracker has confused a few items, TPMS was out but that has sorted itself. Called agent and we spoke about it, I'm happy the sytem has been thrown by the tracker, just need to get the airbag warning cleared. Latest software load, no other bing or bongs.

Airbag system is indicating a fault, however when I toggle it off or on via infotainment system the light is the wrong way, so toggle off, light on center console says on, toggle off light says on.

Local time
Reaction score
My sister owned a LR, and that is as far as my family ever ventured to LR, or ever will again. Sadly, it was a total POS fail of a vehicle. It was the Friday arvo/Sat arvo/Sun arvo/Mon morning build!!!
They are definitely a hit and miss manufacturer, my Disco 4, 2013 model, owned for 7 years over 130,000 km , traveled most of Australia towing and heaps of off road with not one single fault, failure to proceed or issue, not even the dreaded handbrake. Time to touch large amounts of wood…

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Well I still have the S3, no troubles at all , plus the only fault with the 95 Disco was a failed fuel pump. Which I replaced with a Holden one for 1/5 the LR cost.
But yes, I presume you mean a this century LR. Never had one, wouldn't have one.

BakerField

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this. In my vehicle it bongs as a warning and you get a very swift flash of the rear door warning on the screen. if I push the doors closed, it seems to cure it apposed to slamming them.. I’ve tried to find the rear door sensor, but have failed so far..
Just picked up mine today and getting this. Any advice on how you resolved it ? Many thanks

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They are definitely a hit and miss manufacturer, my Disco 4, 2013 model, owned for 7 years over 130,000 km , traveled most of Australia towing and heaps of off road with not one single fault, failure to proceed or issue, not even the dreaded handbrake. Time to touch large amounts of wood…
Haha her's was limp mode x2, and total fail/engine shut off x1. Several 'no start' days with new battery. 1x window never worked properly. 4 months of EXTREME fuel consumption with no explanation. Several/numerous other electrical issues. When the complete engine shutdown occurred, it was 'fixed' and listed for sale immediately.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I still have the S3, no troubles at all , plus the only fault with the 95 Disco was a failed fuel pump. Which I replaced with a Holden one for 1/5 the LR cost.
But yes, I presume you mean a this century LR. Never had one, wouldn't have one.
Yes not much to go wrong on a S3. My D3 on the other hand had to regularly be turned off locked and unlocked to get rid of various spurious warnings etc. Was still a good car and never totally let me down, but there were most certainly software glitches

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just picked up mine today and getting this. Any advice on how you resolved it ? Many thanks
I had that. The agent adjusted the sensor and fixed it, but it can still happen if you don’t slam the door properly

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i don’t slam the rear doors, but they do get a positive push as they close.. if you slam them too hard, they bounce off and don’t seat correctly. im Hoping that they sort the adjustment of the sensor when it goes in for the software update..

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had two new warnings - transmission fault and lamp (bulb) failure. Must be erroneous. Software update booked for next week together with the door seal that dumps a lot of water on the passengers feet as they open the door, lucky them.
Vehicle still drives well, is comfortable and the heater got hot yesterday after being cool all week. I wonder if there is air in the matrix, better ask Neo?

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Had two new warnings - transmission fault and lamp (bulb) failure. Must be erroneous. Software update booked for next week together with the door seal that dumps a lot of water on the passengers feet as they open the door, lucky them.
Vehicle still drives well, is comfortable and the heater got hot yesterday after being cool all week. I wonder if there is air in the matrix, better ask Neo?
Think you should ask Morpheus. Seems to be an error in the matrix. :ROFLMAO: (y)

StevieG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
i've had one, the tyre pressure telling be that the rear nearside tyre pressure is wrong once the tyres warm up, i checks the pressures and all within 1/2lb but the RNS tyre was the one out. let some air out and its ok now. (y)
it does however keep telling me the rear passengers are not wearing their seatbelts even when in on my own.
One thing i hate is i can't reverse with the drivers door ajar/open have to find a solution to that🤬
If you sit with the ignition on but not started all sorts of warnings flash up.
If your driver door is ajar and the driver seatbelt is not engaged you can select a gear forward or reverse but the car will not move. This appears to be a feature but is annoying when the drivers door is last to close and the seals are so good that the back pressure from the cabin stops it from closing properly. Solved by opening a window a little.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If your driver door is ajar and the driver seatbelt is not engaged you can select a gear forward or reverse but the car will not move. This appears to be a feature but is annoying when the drivers door is last to close and the seals are so good that the back pressure from the cabin stops it from closing properly. Solved by opening a window a little.
Select the offroad function

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom