The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
this morning my battery charging level was at 24% - dropped down from the usual 90sh to 24% overnight after a 100km drive yesterday. Voltage was ok around 14V. Car was starting without without an eye blink and after 40km I was back to 88%. I am guessing that the small boot door was not closed perfectly and thus the small lamp in the boot was on whole night. Car did close properly with the remote control. Now: can a battery down start a 3L Diesel? Or this voltage more important?
I’m thinking faulty readings. My battery is always around 85%, I’ve had three minor yellow peril lights which could have been genuine warnings though I think not. It has always started properly. Battery voltage and capacity should both impact starting, at 24% I wouldn’t expect a large diesel to start.
All the lights seem to be LED which should draw limited current and if the car locked from the key fob the door should have been shut. My vehicle will not lock if any door or the bonnet isn’t properly closed.
Check it at update point?

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
this morning my battery charging level was at 24% - dropped down from the usual 90sh to 24% overnight after a 100km drive yesterday. Voltage was ok around 14V. Car was starting without without an eye blink and after 40km I was back to 88%. I am guessing that the small boot door was not closed perfectly and thus the small lamp in the boot was on whole night. Car did close properly with the remote control. Now: can a battery down start a 3L Diesel? Or this voltage more important?
I would advise to check all of the chassis ground connections, those of the batteries to chassis, from chassis to frame and especially the one (and only...) from frame to transfer case.
In my case, the screw of the ground braid at the transfer case was loose, leading to intermittently high /very high discharge/charge currents, depending on road conditions, and finally a dead battery.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Pat, I would connect a smart maintainer to regenerate/recharge the battery.

but even if there was an open door after a certain number of minutes shouldn't all the lights and the infotainment system go off?
thanks Orso. I have a Noco Genius maintainer (not sure which model and if powerful enough) and just moved to a new house with no power in the garage. Worst case I have a Genius Booster (GB50) - not tried yet ;-)

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m thinking faulty readings. My battery is always around 85%, I’ve had three minor yellow peril lights which could have been genuine warnings though I think not. It has always started properly. Battery voltage and capacity should both impact starting, at 24% I wouldn’t expect a large diesel to start.
All the lights seem to be LED which should draw limited current and if the car locked from the key fob the door should have been shut. My vehicle will not lock if any door or the bonnet isn’t properly closed.
Check it at update point?
thus I think it is a SW gremlin. After 8 hours I started the car again and capacity was still at 88%. So far no drama;-)

Alex7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wednesday I have my first serious error message, 8000km on the clock:
- ESC warning comes and then the wiper starts working in "1" and was not to stop. Indicator was on complete strike.
Thursday my dealer (road star in Bavaria) check the car and together with ineos they identify the mistake: steering column switch / coil spring. Road star ordered the part in Brussel, this morning it was changed and since 12 o´clock I can ride my granny without any errors again ;-)
Conclusion: Really good work of road star and INEOS!! 24h between start and finish ;-)
o.k., the mistake was not so complex. But you have to analyze and also the logistic was really impressive. And a flexible workshop..

Attached is a sample picture of a steering column switch, I have missed to take a photo of the original.
I have had the same issue today!

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to reset the state of charge to show 100% when you are confident the battery is at that SOC yet consistently displays around 84%?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s a week now since I have had my Trialmaster back from a month of remedial care that included a new main starter battery and the full fat 1946 latest update.
Software faults since update: ZERO 😎
Battery charge: NOW 100% 😎😎

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s a week now since I have had my Trialmaster back from a month of remedial care that included a new main starter battery and the full fat 1946 latest update.
Brilliant mate. That’s real encouraging 😍

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
How sad
Take it back and get them to reinstall one or two of the problems so the car has character.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
thus I think it is a SW gremlin. After 8 hours I started the car again and capacity was still at 88%. So far no drama;-)
Parked again last evening at 88% Battery Capacity and this morning it was at 93%. So most likely a SW/measuring issue of the status of the battery.

Local time
Reaction score
I would advise to check all of the chassis ground connections, those of the batteries to chassis, from chassis to frame and especially the one (and only...) from frame to transfer case.
In my case, the screw of the ground braid at the transfer case was loose, leading to intermittently high /very high discharge/charge currents, depending on road conditions, and finally a dead battery.
Exactly, I can confirm this.
I had the same problem three weeks ago, it’s fixed now, everything ok.
Software Update works fine, no warnings anymore.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Parked again last evening at 88% Battery Capacity and this morning it was at 93%. So most likely a SW/measuring issue of the status of the battery.

you could try connecting a bluetooth battery monitor.

Reactions: Pat

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m convinced the software is inconsistent reading SOC. Battery has never been over 87% even after a full regenerative charge via a CTEK MXS10 charger. Have seen SOC say 71%, lock the car and come back half an hour later and it’s jumped to 79%. Also seen the SOC read zero but then reset and display realistic figure after a restart.

Reactions: PBD

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a patttern to my cars electrical gremlins. When they happen frequently the battery is sitting at under 95% charge. As soon as it is sitting on 98-100% then the electrical gremlins are almost non-existent. Seems to be almost 99% of the time that is the case. That’s every message other than the rear seatbelt warnings which seem to always think the empty rear seats are occupied and so almost always bong every trip so I just drive with seatbelts all buckled in. Hypersensitive to small battery drops seems to be the culprit/issue with most of the errors. I have a factory dual battery setup, nothing extra connected or drawing power.
Exactly the same experience here.

Colinthill

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am curious, those that have collected the Grenadier - how many are experiencing SOFTWARE / ELECTRICAL GREMLINS?
Mine is back at the dealer for its software update, apparently Ineos are rolling these out. If you have a Grenadier chase your dealer to get it done.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has developed 2 new annoying faults today:-
1. Rear passenger seatbelt warning keeps going off with no-one there. (could be haunted)
2. The indicators have stoped ticking and are now bonging but when you cancel you get 6 more bongs!!!! Maybe thats why BMW drivers don't indicate, its so annoying!!

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has developed 2 new annoying faults today:-
1. Rear passenger seatbelt warning keeps going off with no-one there. (could be haunted)
2. The indicators have stoped ticking and are now bonging but when you cancel you get 6 more bongs!!!! Maybe thats why BMW drivers don't indicate, its so annoying!!
Had the seatbelt issue tonight and opening and closing the door on the affected side resolved it.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had the seatbelt issue tonight and opening and closing the door on the affected side resolved it.
Nope tried that, no luck. Hopefully if I find time next week to do the update at the dealers.

Back
Top Bottom