The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
Not forgetting the back up battery system.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you thinking there was another underlying overnight power drain?
But if the issue is the tilt alarm sounding continuously discharging the battery then there must be a method of disarming it. No vehicle nor alarm manufacturer would market one without that ability, surely. Tilt alarms going off on bus routes/HGVs passing parked cars at speed was a problem that required early tilt sensors to be evolved
Found this on an old BMW forum, they had an issue with the tilt alarm going off

"To avoid problems with the tilt sensor (Neigungssensor is correct) you can switch it off easily. Lock your car as always and within 10 seconds lock it again. Now the tilt sensor and interior sensor is switched off."

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How did it get that low? Where you sat in a loading queue for a long time with power on?

Also, to be clear you don't have the auxiliary battery fitted?
Battery started at 69% and after 2 hour drive to reach ferry it had increased to 71%. I have auxiliary battery also. Not running anything like fridge and have no trailer or caravan, so no additional power drain compared to normal.

What Im unsure of is if the battery was flat, would a jump start and running the engine for 5 minutes take it back up to an indicated 100%?

Started car this morning and battery at 98% and back to 100% after 15 minute drive.

Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Battery started at 69% and after 2 hour drive to reach ferry it had increased to 71%.
There's definitely a problem there ~ that's not right.

I have auxiliary battery also. Not running anything like fridge and have no trailer or caravan, so no additional power drain compared to normal.
Again, another issue, Smartpass should have activated "Smart Assistance":
Screenshot_20230702_133816.jpg

What Im unsure of is if the battery was flat, would a jump start and running the engine for 5 minutes take it back up to an indicated 100%?
In a word no.
Started car this morning and battery at 98% and back to 100% after 15 minute drive.
Yes that sounds normal; but I'm wondering if the battery management is calibrated correctly with your earlier issues?

Can you put both batteries on a charger?

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Found this on an old BMW forum, they had an issue with the tilt alarm going off

"To avoid problems with the tilt sensor (Neigungssensor is correct) you can switch it off easily. Lock your car as always and within 10 seconds lock it again. Now the tilt sensor and interior sensor is switched off."
I emailed Ineos a few weeks ago who said lock with key to avoid alarm being set.
There's definitely a problem there ~ that's not right.

Again, another issue, Smartpass should have activated "Smart Assistance":
View attachment 7818795

In a word no.

Yes that sounds normal; but I'm wondering if the battery management is calibrated correctly with your earlier issues?

Can you put both batteries on a charger?
Thanks DCPU. Not currently as camping for next few weeks in Europe. Car will be run every day, so will monitor battery status.

My gut feeling is battery management system wasn’t calibrated correctly and may not be currently but car starting fine. On 2 hour drive to ferry, travelling at 70mph/110kmh, battery charge rate was 1 or 2 amps which seems very low. It increased charge by 2-3%. Currently charging at higher indicated rate of 10 amps when driving.

Given the ongoing gremlins we are all having, the electrical system, management system, sensors etc aren’t performing adequately.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Lock your car as always and within 10 seconds lock it again.
Hm. If I lock my car, the headlights as well as the rear lights go on for a while (I think the time is configurable). If I lock it a second time, the lights switch off immediately - which I regularly do to save battery.

Now I ask myself, if I switch off the tilt-sensor as well that way?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm. If I lock my car, the headlights as well as the rear lights go on for a while (I think the time is configurable). If I lock it a second time, the lights switch off immediately - which I regularly do to save battery.

Now I ask myself, if I switch off the tilt-sensor as well that way?
That info related to an older BMW fitted alarm so may not be relevant. But if Ineos has said lock with actual key I'd stick with their advice
I presume you are double clicking to turn off the headlights by remote key anyway

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Diff locks that sometimes don’t work, where I 4wd in the Victorian high country that could also quickly turn into a life threatening situation.
If that is really the case, you shouldn't go there alone with one car. With any car things can happen that let you immobile and which are worse than diffs not locking.

AWo

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All I can say is how impressive the positive attitudes are, cars that are unroadworthy from brand new, as in air bag inoperable messages, who knows if they would work in an accident so that in my opinion is a life threatening failure
Diff locks that sometimes don’t work, where I 4wd in the Victorian high country that could also quickly turn into a life threatening situation.
Given all these issues and still no set date on the mystical software update I would have zero confidence in the car and would be ropable with the dealer and Ineos
I would be interested in knowing exactly what vehicles, when first built come without teething problems. If teething problems are still evident in 12 months of ownership, I will begin to lose patience. My Grenadier, despite all manner of alarms at odd times, has performed perfectly. Interestingly, JLR have the most atrocious reliability record and yet they can not make enough of their vehicles to satisfy consumer demand.

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing exactly what vehicles, when first built come without teething problems. If teething problems are still evident in 12 months of ownership, I will begin to lose patience. My Grenadier, despite all manner of alarms at odd times, has performed perfectly. Interestingly, JLR have the most atrocious reliability record and yet they can not make enough of their vehicles to satisfy consumer demand.
Yep and I am going be of those who have owned LR product for years, currently have a Disco 1 with a heap of mods for play on the hard tracks and a Disco 4 for touring, both are super reliable, neither have let me down, in 7 years of ownership and travelling all over Australia not one single fault with the D4
If any of the LR products had as many issues as the Grenadier it most certainly wouldn’t be in my driveway
I just hope it all gets sorted because on paper I love the product and want one in my driveway to replace the Disco 4 when it’s time is up

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Got mine on Friday. Beside the usual error messages I can’t lock with the remote. Unlocking works. Central locking with the key is my workaround. Anybody else with this problem? Battery is full.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Got mine on Friday. Beside the usual error messages I can’t lock with the remote. Unlocking works. Central locking with the key is my workaround. Anybody else with this problem? Battery is full.
On mine, only the drivers door unlocks and you have to press twice to unlock the rest. Upon exit, drivers door unlocks, but if you exit via the passenger door, they all unlock. Drive away locking works a treat. Should be fixed at the software update.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On mine, only the drivers door unlocks and you have to press twice to unlock the rest. Upon exit, drivers door unlocks, but if you exit via the passenger door, they all unlock. Drive away locking works a treat. Should be fixed at the software update.
On mine you can configure central locking to open just the drivers door with one click then second click to open all doors, that’s what I have done with mine. Alternatively you can set up to open all doors with first click.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep and I am going be of those who have owned LR product for years, currently have a Disco 1 with a heap of mods for play on the hard tracks and a Disco 4 for touring, both are super reliable, neither have let me down, in 7 years of ownership and travelling all over Australia not one single fault with the D4
If any of the LR products had as many issues as the Grenadier it most certainly wouldn’t be in my driveway
I just hope it all gets sorted because on paper I love the product and want one in my driveway to replace the Disco 4 when it’s time is up
I'm happy to read that your Land Rover experience has been problem free, as in fact have my 25 years of Land Rover ownership. We are the lucky 40% of Land Rover owners I would say. Best of luck with the next Land Rover product you buy.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't check my battery status that often. But sometimes, when I don't use Waze on my Grenadier screen, but "Here We Go" on my cell phone (even beta version of this navigation app doesn't seem to work with Android carplay) I put some other "off road statuses" on my Grenadier screen. The highest battery charging status i saw is 93%. Quite ok.

@emax you can indeed configure the "lights on" for as low as 30 seconds when locking the car. I would like to be able to switch it off completely to save battery.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's how most remote door locks work now.
It's a safety feature so you don't let car jackers into your car every time you get in.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having owned 3 discoveries, a 1 which was great until a manufacturing error resulted in a timing belt letting go about a month out of warranty and fubaring the engine, took a huge fight and some intelligence gathering (they knew about the fault but weren’t telling people but I found evidence) to make LR come to the party to fix it. A Discovery 2 which had a load of endless moderate to minor issues and lots of fights with LR. And a 3 which was close to perfect but I was always wary because fairly minor things cause it to drop to bump stops and go into limp mode. Always in my experience solved by turning off and on again but many had different experiences. In my experience the biggest problem with Land Rover is Land Rover. The software glitches are not ideal with the Grenadier but with possibly 2 exceptions I have heard of so far. The car seems drivable despite the glitches. Customer service from INEOS has so far been variable, but really yet to be proven in terms of warranty claims, but it wouldn’t be hard to be better on that front than Land Rover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom