The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Leave the vehicle for a few hours and then start again to try the diff locks.
😂. I can just imagine those Grenadier safari prototypes in Botswana or Namibia having that problem when a bull elephant is charging at the rear of the vehicle full of tourists.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
A new one today. On start up the odometer reset to 0000. Same after turning it off agsin. Then back to normal 425 miles next time.
For 15 mins today I had no warnings , not even the TPMS.
Thought the INEOS man must have visited in the dead of night.
Ahh TPMS warning back - how very reassuring .

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
She went off looking for some Italian authority at the airport. Turns out they are mythical beasts.
She should look around in the coffee bars near by.

Reactions: PBD

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
On start up the odometer reset to 0000. Same after turning it off agsin. Then back to normal 425 miles next time
Had this two or three times now, looking like so "0 - 0 - 0 - 0". Came back after a while with the correct figure.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
OK, from what I've been told the only warnings/malfunctions you should take notice of are the ones on the screen behind the wheel, according to the IA guys all notifications are software related. I know it's not much help but at least you know it's not malfunctioning hardware
The rear diff would not lock ~ that's a hardware error. And because the front won't lock without the rear being locked first, then that's the same as a hardware error!

I don't mind a whole series of amber warnings, or notifications of secondary systems not available but a red warning on the airbags really doesn't sound like something that should be ignored.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
The rear diff would not lock ~ that's a hardware error. And because the front won't lock without the rear being locked first, then that's the same as a hardware error!

I don't mind a whole series of amber warnings, or notifications of secondary systems not available but a red warning on the airbags really doesn't sound like something that should be ignored.
Correct, what I mentioned was related to me from an IA tech. I'd be taking that up with the dealer

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
😂. I can just imagine those Grenadier safari prototypes in Botswana or Namibia having that problem when a bull elephant is charging at the rear of the vehicle full of tourists.
Yes, but the bull elephant doesn't solve the problem either. He only adds to it. ;)

I realise that this is not a good option. I would only use it to find out if it is a pure display problem and therefore a software problem.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but the bull elephant doesn't solve the problem either. He only adds to it. ;)

I realise that this is not a good option. I would only use it to find out if it is a pure display problem and therefore a software problem.
Agreed just sort all this stuff out before the safari or any other potentially critical situation.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
At the airport?
Absolutely. There are coffe bars as well, and you very often find these guys there - especially if there a some beautys in there drinking their espresso.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Absolutely. There are coffe bars as well, and you very often find these guys there - especially if there a some beautys in there drinking their espresso.
But in the evening everything is shut and the baggage area is echoic...
Cagliari is not a large airport!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Collected my Grenadier this afternoon after going in for fault diagnosis. Apparently everything has been checked inc problems identified on other vehicles. A wiring loom has been re routed as a bend in it was too tight a power steering pipe moved/adjusted and clips/protection added where there is potential for rubbing pipes. I’m told a very thorough check over has been carried out inc numerous test drives. I feel reassured this has all been checked.
one software fault showed on the drive home “ecall error”
Rhino rack roof rack has been fitted and seems a very solid piece of kit.
Hopefully can get the software update before shipping if not will hope to get done in South Africa

Local time
Reaction score
Reading about the crazy amount of problems that seem to be coming from (even slightly) low voltage due to incomplete battery charging or the effect of small parasitic drain when the vehicle is not being driven, I am puzzled.
If there is this vulnerability, why do vehicles not have circuits to regulate the voltage coming from the battery before it gets into the vehicle electronics? Ten years ago I was involved in the development of a battery powered handheld electronic device and remember what a game change the then new availability of electronic voltage regulation made to system reliability in the field.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Reading about the crazy amount of problems that seem to be coming from (even slightly) low voltage due to incomplete battery charging or the effect of small parasitic drain when the vehicle is not being driven, I am puzzled.
If there is this vulnerability, why do vehicles not have circuits to regulate the voltage coming from the battery before it gets into the vehicle electronics? Ten years ago I was involved in the development of a battery powered handheld electronic device and remember what a game change the then new availability of electronic voltage regulation made to system reliability in the field.

They have. Every car has a regulator keeping the voltage around 14,4 V. For decades.....electro-mechanical and since the 70tys more and more electronic ones....

This is not a pure direct current, as car generators produce alternating current. It has small rectangular portions, Each manufacturer of electrical vehicle equipment exactly knows this and takes this into account....

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
They have. Every car has a regulator keeping the voltage around 14,4 V. For decades.....electro-mechanical and since the 70tys more and more electronic ones....

This is not a pure direct current, as car generators produce alternating current. It has small rectangular portions, Each manufacturer of electrical vehicle equipment exactly knows this and takes this into account....

AWo
Then why all the problems with low battery voltage (from the vehicles sitting for so long at the dealers or at Ineos) setting off a cascade of error messages in the Grenadier?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Then I do not understand your question. Voltage is regulated, of course.

If you are referring to an automatic stop of current flowing from the battery to devices in the car at a certain discharge level measured by the remaining voltage and thereby lowering the discharge process, you may loose a lot of things. Theft protection, radio lock and unlock, radio settings and even settings which are crucial for the car to work. If you take a modrn car to the garage, to change the battery or do some repair, you can see that they always keep the car under power, as many settings regarding the car would be lost otherwise. That could be the stop point of the electric windows, calibration stuff for actuators etc. etc. If a modern car lost its power for a while, it is possible that you can't move it anymore, even nit start the engine, because settingst got lost.

So, when a car sits at the dealer or wherever and a more or less small current is drawn and the battery gets discharged if it doesn't get charged from time to time. And even with no current drawn from any device in the car, the battery will discharge, as there is an effect called self discharge which applies to every battery.

AWo

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Collected my Grenadier this afternoon after going in for fault diagnosis. Apparently everything has been checked inc problems identified on other vehicles. A wiring loom has been re routed as a bend in it was too tight a power steering pipe moved/adjusted and clips/protection added where there is potential for rubbing pipes. I’m told a very thorough check over has been carried out inc numerous test drives. I feel reassured this has all been checked.
one software fault showed on the drive home “ecall error”
Rhino rack roof rack has been fitted and seems a very solid piece of kit.
Hopefully can get the software update before shipping if not will hope to get done in South Africa
These are good faults to have fixed. The steering line rubbing on adjacent is a major potential issue - but fixed. We will need to have our dealers thoroughly check for issues noted on this forum (before handover!).

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A new one today. On start up the odometer reset to 0000. Same after turning it off agsin. Then back to normal 425 miles next time.
For 15 mins today I had no warnings , not even the TPMS.
Thought the INEOS man must have visited in the dead of night.
Ahh TPMS warning back - how very reassuring .
I’ve had the odometer momentarily read 0-0-0-0 and return to correct reading whilst driving.

Back
Top Bottom