The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
I am getting the impression that you aren't really interested in the vehicle, you are just on here to stir shit and constantly say negative things.
You never need to "wonder" what gear you are in.
The gear you are in is clearly shown on the screen in front of you.
You don't have to look down at the gearstick.
All automatic gearboxes that have a manual mode just use a momentary push forward or pull back to change gears.
Main difference in the Grenadier is that in manual mode it will hold whatever gear you select, unlike most vehicles that will change gear if you over or under rev it.
By the way it isn't a BMW gearbox it is a ZF gearbox
So even if you went for one of the old fashioned clunky gearchanges that some people seem to want, you still only get a + and - for up and down gear changes.
Or you could get the really outdated version with 3 gears plus drive, but surely the 16 manual gears you get in the Grenadier is much better

View attachment 7813729View attachment 7813730View attachment 7813731View attachment 7813732

a lot of things about this car are getting the best of me. I need to pull back some and become less invested. it's either a love/hate or hate/love thing.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the second row reading light won't go out with the ignition on just cannot find any way to turn it off, most annoying driving at night as it reflects in the rear view mirror.

a lot of things about this car are getting the best of me. I need to pull back some and become less invested. it's either a love/hate or hate/love thing.
That's the difference between FB and social media (for bloggers and budding influencers) vs a forum.

This forum is full of members who help and support each other. Get positive!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
I think you need to stop pulling, regardless of what direction it is.
Clearly it is not the vehicle for you, just move on.
by the way it isn't a car

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Is it therefore feasible, with your experience, to create an algorithm with tinkerable variables to remove all the warnings nanny states require
I'm not competent to judge about their implementation.

But I think it would be "possible", although I don't think this is a realistic scenario. They will most likely be satisfied if it "works" at all and meets all legal requirements and all country specifics for each individual country and all specifics for each specific vehicle configuration. That's a lot of variations, and you certainly won't voluntarily add any more.

I've seen so much junk software in my life that I've long since stopped wondering about software-destroyed equipment, missile crashes, and accidental bombings of friendly troops.

Many years ago (at least three decades) I had to track down a bug in a commercial software. This error had plagued the company (a bank ...) for a long time and simply could not be found. The module in question was a source code with about 8000 lines of code, and it took me a very long time to get to the bottom of it.

I went through the software step by step with the debugger and on the third day finally found the routine where the problem was triggered.

In it I found the comment of one of the developers involved. It read

"If you come here, it's all too late".
🥳

This developer had detected that the underlying concept was simply wrong - but had no chance to do something against it. It is like building a house ground up and start with the roof: You can't put anything useful on it. Hence the comment. In the code an uncontrolled "longjump" followed which discarded the current transaction and did not process it further. A real "Martin Baker": pull the trigger and get out of here.

Catastrophic.

The hammer was what happened when I documented the facts and meticulously explained them one floor up: they marked the error as tolerable and thanked me.

Everything remained as it was.

That was the day I realized what software actually is: It is the incarnation of a collection of wrong concepts from people who didn't understand the problem coupled with the inability to recognize such concepts as wrong and to stand up as a developer against those who are responsible for it.

And in today's projects, there are no longer five or ten people involved in the development, but hundreds, from the legislator to the architect to the developer.

And somewhere in that long chain, someone didn't understand what it was all about, or put their personal piss mark, or simply had been pissed off with everything.

Of course there is the famous QC. But they also have a problem: It must be ready tomorrow.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
This is a message INEOS know about and will eliminate on the next software update.
Will they eliminate the problem or just the message? 🤔

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Noticed last night that my puddle lamps weren’t working. Lucky it wasn’t raining. 😀
As I get over the euphoria of having my vehicle at home, time I started to list any defects for the dealer to address when updating software.

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

But I think it would be "possible", although I don't think this is a realistic scenario. They will most likely be satisfied if it "works" at all and meets all legal requirements and all country specifics for each individual country and all specifics for each specific vehicle configuration. That's a lot of variations, and you certainly won't voluntarily add any more.

I've seen so much junk software in my life that I've long since stopped wondering about software-destroyed equipment, missile crashes, and accidental bombings of friendly troops.

Many years ago (at least three decades) I had to track down a bug in a commercial software. This error had plagued the company (a bank ...) for a long time and simply could not be found. The module in question was a source code with about 8000 lines of code, and it took me a very long time to get to the bottom of it.

I went through the software step by step with the debugger and on the third day finally found the routine where the problem was triggered.

🥳

This developer had detected that the underlying concept was simply wrong - but had no chance to do something against it. It is like building a house ground up and start with the roof: You can't put anything useful on it. Hence the comment. In the code an uncontrolled "longjump" followed which discarded the current transaction and did not process it further. A real "Martin Baker": pull the trigger and get out of here.

Catastrophic.

The hammer was what happened when I documented the facts and meticulously explained them one floor up: they marked the error as tolerable and thanked me.

That was the day I realized what software actually is: It is the incarnation of a collection of wrong concepts from people who didn't understand the problem coupled with the inability to recognize such concepts as wrong and to stand up as a developer against those who are responsible for it.

And in today's projects, there are no longer five or ten people involved in the development, but hundreds, from the legislator to the architect to the developer.

And somewhere in that long chain, someone didn't understand what it was all about, or put their personal piss mark, or simply had been pissed off with everything.

Of course there is the famous QC. But they also have a problem: It must be ready tomorrow.
A common software statement: works as designed.
But who says it's a proper design? ;)

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

🥳

Catastrophic.

I did and still do experience the very same in different flavors of issues. My spouse is in the very same business and agrees in whole. there is one thing that comes in regulated business on top, not just QC but compliance to certain regulations. In banking a bit more in automotive industry not yet that strict but as we know since diesel gate.. authorities look quite close on vehicles now. So one more the (compliance guys ) in the food chain who has no clue. Regulation beyond reality. Everything else @emax put down here is sooo true.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have practised it several times now. If you have a seat belt on, you can open the driver's door while driving. I have only tried it in first gear for manoeuvring.
If I don't wear a seat belt, drive off and open the door, the automatic transmission immediately switches to position P.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have practised it several times now. If you have a seat belt on, you can open the driver's door while driving. I have only tried it in first gear for manoeuvring.
If I don't wear a seat belt, drive off and open the door, the automatic transmission immediately switches to position P.
I don't like it. No good on the private property farm if you need to move gate to gate... I'll have to adjust 20 Plus years of bad habit!

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Noticed last night that my puddle lamps weren’t working. Lucky it wasn’t raining. 😀
As I get over the euphoria of having my vehicle at home, time I started to list any defects for the dealer to address when updating software.
The puddle light on the passenger side of my car does not work (the driver’s side seems fine)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
Geesus,

That was 5 pages of fun to read on return from 10 days worth of adventures sailing up the coast of Queensland.

I have 10 full pages of threads to wade through to catch up here. I think I might just hit the Mark All Posts Read button and start from scratch if they are all as tragic as this one.

Here’s a few nice pics293e5846-815a-4442-8864-f79e04bdbbd0.jpegIMG_3945.jpeg to lift everyone’s spirits….IMG_3864.jpegIMG_4004.jpeg

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found a new glitch today. I started to drive up an earth slope to see how good the Grenadier behaves. It went quite a bit in high without a lock. I read the incline from the info screen and it was at 36 degrees. Than I switched to low with locked center diff and went a good bit further uphill. Magically the incline on the monitor didn’t change at all although I really had problems to enter the car this time after taking the photo.
When I was on levelled ground again the info screen still showed 36 degrees.
The system had stalled!
What a nice surprise if you want to rely on the system…IMG_9297.jpegIMG_9298.jpegIMG_9299.jpegIMG_9300.jpegIMG_9303.jpegIMG_9305.jpeg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found a new glitch today. I started to drive up an earth slope to see how good the Grenadier behaves. It went quite a bit in high without a lock. I read the incline from the info screen and it was at 36 degrees. Than I switched to low with locked center diff and went a good bit further uphill. Magically the incline on the monitor didn’t change at all although I really had problems to enter the car this time after taking the photo.
When I was on levelled ground again the info screen still showed 36 degrees.
The system had stalled!
What a nice surprise if you want to rely on the system…View attachment 7814101View attachment 7814102View attachment 7814103View attachment 7814104View attachment 7814105View attachment 7814106
Nice photo. I also see it states nose down rather than nose up in the display?

Back
Top Bottom