The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
poll should have 2 options.

a- my car looks and drives problem free

b-my car arrived with problems it shouldn't have.

if 50% choose b that's no where near acceptable.
No , that's far too binary.
In today's world there must be at least 5 options.
If not 50 shades of grey...

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
I said the same thing to my wife, and now in automotive technical jargon - "it's going tits up"
What a difference a year makes..
Still excited to get my hands on one but at the same time I'm getting in front of the ball by letting my better half know, well, 'not all is going exactly to plan with first deliveries overseas'... quickly followed by.. 'should be sorted by the time they arrive here'. Pardon the blasphemy but god I hope so or someone, likely me, will need to do some significant explaining regarding my decision making process and purchase of an unknown. Time will tell. ;):D

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
these complaints are a brutal blow. ineos can't even get their limited amount of electronics used to work correctly.........fvk me dead.

yes, most fanboyz won't stop swallowing the juice until their car is in the shop an extended period of time or told they have to pay for the repair.

if I wanted this type of bs I would buy a new rover. at least with the rover the first 2 weeks would be clean.
I struggle to believe that this was written by an adult.

As a vehicle designed and made to pass compliance in a developed country, a hefty amount of electronics are compulsory and as the level of standardisation is not that great, systems from different vendors have to be made to work together.

Next paragraph: fanboy or not, my vehicle does not need a trip to the shop. The 5 year warranty takes much of the doubt and uncertainty away, but I am used to fixing dodgy vehicles anyway, so the lack of a workshop manual is more of a worry to me.

Last paragraph: Rovers do not have a good reputation for "right first time"; their last CEO was appalled at the warranty costs and the J D Power surveys suggest that design gets them sold and tech gets them rejected. Of the 10 people I know with new Defenders, half are delighted, the remaining 5 have faults varying from the trivial, (Pivi Pro keeps rebooting, radio inaudible, etc), to catastrophic mechanical failure, so 5 ecstatic, 4 slightly pissed off and 1 in the process of rejecting the vehicle and suing for damages. (Remembering that anecdote is not data).

As for the comments about MOTs; I was a tester in the early '80s, I try to keep up and I have mates/clients actively engaged. The transient amber warnings would not lead to a fail, the red warnings and a persistent fault light might be an issue, but would have to concern emissions, brakes, steering, airbag, ABS or ETC warnings. The vast majority of warnings are almost certainly sensors giving out of normal parameter readings; typically, these would be filtered out on startup and buffered under running conditions, so there would have to be some persistence before they were reported. There is such a thing as over-sensitivity.

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score

As a vehicle designed and made to pass compliance in a developed country, a hefty amount of electronics are compulsory and as the level of standardisation is not that great, systems from different vendors have to be made to work together.

Next paragraph: fanboy or not, my vehicle does not need a trip to the shop. The 5 year warranty takes much of the doubt and uncertainty away, but I am used to fixing dodgy vehicles anyway, so the lack of a workshop manual is more of a worry to me.

Last paragraph: Rovers do not have a good reputation for "right first time"; their last CEO was appalled at the warranty costs and the J D Power surveys suggest that design gets them sold and tech gets them rejected. Of the 10 people I know with new Defenders, half are delighted, the remaining 5 have faults varying from the trivial, (Pivi Pro keeps rebooting, radio inaudible, etc), to catastrophic mechanical failure, so 5 ecstatic, 4 slightly pissed off and 1 in the process of rejecting the vehicle and suing for damages. (Remembering that anecdote is not data).

As for the comments about MOTs; I was a tester in the early '80s, I try to keep up and I have mates/clients actively engaged. The transient amber warnings would not lead to a fail, the red warnings and a persistent fault light might be an issue, but would have to concern emissions, brakes, steering, ABS or ETC warnings. The vast majority of warnings are almost certainly sensors giving out of normal parameter readings; typically, these would be filtered out on startup and buffered under running conditions, so there would have to be some persistence before they were reported. There is such a thing as over-sensitivity.
+1

Local time
Reaction score

As for the comments about MOTs; I was a tester in the early '80s, I try to keep up and I have mates/clients actively engaged. The transient amber warnings would not lead to a fail, the red warnings and a persistent fault light might be an issue, but would have to concern emissions, brakes, steering, ABS or ETC warnings. The vast majority of warnings are almost certainly sensors giving out of normal parameter readings; typically, these would be filtered out on startup and buffered under running conditions, so there would have to be some persistence before they were reported. There is such a thing as over-sensitivity.

nothing to see here folks, you're in good hands for 5 years. your inconvenience and expectations are secondary to my love of the brand.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As for the comments about MOTs; I was a tester in the early '80s, I try to keep up and I have mates/clients actively engaged. The transient amber warnings would not lead to a fail, the red warnings and a persistent fault light might be an issue, but would have to concern emissions, brakes, steering, airbag, ABS or ETC warnings. The vast majority of warnings are almost certainly sensors giving out of normal parameter readings; typically, these would be filtered out on startup and buffered under running conditions, so there would have to be some persistence before they were reported. There is such a thing as over-sensitivity.

I'd have to look again at the messages popping up on the screen, but this is from the MOT manual online:

Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunctionMajor Defect
EPS MIL indicating a system malfunctionMajor Defect
ESC MIL indicates a system malfunctionMajor Defect
SRS (MIL) indicates a system malfunctionMajor Defect
The TPMS warning lamp (see diagram 3) can operate in many ways depending on the vehicle type. You must only reject vehicles if it’s clear that the lamp indicates a system malfunction and not simply indicating that one or more of the tyre pressures is low.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still excited to get my hands on one but at the same time I'm getting in front of the ball by letting my better half know, well, 'not all is going exactly to plan with first deliveries overseas'... quickly followed by.. 'should be sorted by the time they arrive here'. Pardon the blasphemy but god I hope so or someone, likely me, will need to do some significant explaining regarding my decision making process and purchase of an unknown. Time will tell. ;):D
Received mine a couple of days ago and it displays all sorts of warnings as previously mentioned on here. On the plus side, I am lead to believe, these warnings are not significant and do not impinge on driving or safety. I have been told that should I see a red warning triangle on the status panel behind the wheel, I should react immediately. Not yet read of anyone seeing that so far. I am expecting the next software update, or a few extra miles driving, to sort out these odd warning signs.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Received mine a couple of days ago and it displays all sorts of warnings as previously mentioned on here. On the plus side, I am lead to believe, these warnings are not significant and do not impinge on driving or safety. I have been told that should I see a red warning triangle on the status panel behind the wheel, I should react immediately. Not yet read of anyone seeing that so far. I am expecting the next software update, or a few extra miles driving, to sort out these odd warning signs.
I went out in my Grenadier yesterday all warnings have disappeared. Don’t know what’s happened 🤔 I’m now feeling left out 😂

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Brief update.
Drove back from Cornwall today and in 310 miles no errors or warning messages. Absolutely loving it!
After keenly following the development of the Grenadier from its inception, I started drifting away as I saw more and more choices being made by the Ineos team that didn't align with my expectations of a "modern old-school 4x4". And yes, I recognize that these were my expectations, but in part, they derive from the initial language in promotional material put out by Ineos. After driving the vehicle off-road, one of my main concerns was confirmed - I find the gear selector to be too "techy" or "electronic" for a true 4x4, and its lack of positive feedback and lack of actual movement is a potential hazard when off-roading.

In short, I haven't been following things here lately, so I don't mean any offense, but is this really where things are at? Celebrating a drive from point A to point B without an error code or warning?

Local time
Reaction score
In short, I haven't been following things here lately, so I don't mean any offense, but is this really where things are at? Celebrating a drive from point A to point B without an error code or warning?

that seems to be the brutally cold blooded truth. whether you want to believe it or not.

jamgolf

Forum Supporter
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Those who have taken deliveries of their vehicles have my sincere gratitude for sharing their first hand experiences. You also have my sympathy, support and appreciation in getting everything sorted out as quickly as possible.

We all want Grenadier to be a success. Early adopters have taken a huge leap of faith and are now sharing their experiences good, bad and in between. Those of us still sitting on the sidelines should voice our concerns responsibly and respectfully such that it does result in positive change and quality improvement that we are hoping and rooting for, with full regard for the sentiments of owners.

It's not ok to have random instrument cluster lights in any vehicle. This should not be considered normal and voicing concerns in this regard will benefit both current and future owners.

Hey Ineos ...
Forget about delivering more vehicles. Fix the software and other problems experienced by current owners first.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Appreciate the perspectives of all and the experiences of owners, so thank you all for contributing.

This chain gives me pause as a potential buyer. Add the lack of clarity and specificity around the dealer/service network here in the US and the possibility of dealers here trying to add to MSRP upon delivery, and I am beginning to feel like there are better uses of my time and my capital. That makes me sad. I was really excited for this vehicle. I am now 50/50 (at best) on converting my reservation to an order.

As regards the likelihood that the issues described in this chain will be addressed, I will believe it when I see it. The broader issues of multiple delays and missed deadlines can be explained away only so long before confidence in an organization erodes. Perhaps that is heresy to some, but it is my truth at present.

Will keep pondering.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Those who have taken deliveries of their vehicles have my sincere gratitude for sharing their first hand experiences. You also have my sympathy, support and appreciation in getting everything sorted out as quickly as possible.

We all want Grenadier to be a success. Early adopters have taken a huge leap of faith and are now sharing their experiences good, bad and in between. Those of us still sitting on the sidelines should voice our concerns responsibly and respectfully such that it does result in positive change and quality improvement that we are are hoping and rooting for, with full regard for the sentiments of owners.

It's not ok to have random instrument cluster lights in any vehicle. This should not be considered normal and voicing concerns in this regard will benefit both current and future owners.

Hey Ineos ...
Forget about delivering more vehicles. Fix the software and other problems experienced by current owners first.
I agree, IA need to fettle the gremlins as a matter of urgency and pause deliveries if there are endemic issues. I would be seriously upset if I got frequent amber warning lights or a vehicle non-start without a pause/reboot. Merchantable quality of the product, fitness for purpose, etc. The Grenadier is not a cheap vehicle in any of its’ markets, there shouldn’t be excuses for faults and niggles.

Back
Top Bottom