The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Whine from Transmission

RAS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Diesel FM. 10 months old 3000 miles. Very gentle road use apart from 300 miles towing 2 tonne boat. Not used any of the diff locks yet. Some low range work maneuvering trailer.

Started to hear a whine from low down. Probably transfer case or diffs as it is road speed related. Sound is like high speed gear meshing (sounds like a screw compressor to me). Started very faint and thought I was being over sensitive but now more noticeable and does not sound right or healthy. Takes about 5 mins of driving before it starts but after that its there for the rest of that journey. No difference when turning. Just comes on after 5 mins and then is a function of road speed.

Going to get it on the ramp and have a poke about, check fluid levels etc. but was wondering whether there were any other checks I could do - booked in with service agent in 1 month. SA mentioned that there had been a transfer box recall for the earlier vehicles but he did not think this applied to me. Can this this mentioned on the forum.

Cheers
Richard

Local time
Reaction score
Good idea to check the oil levels and colour in the drive line. There are some reports that the diff oil is only filled to apx 1" below the filler plug which is unusual for this type of commercial vehicle axle when the industry standard has been to fill to the level plug.

Local time
Reaction score
Good idea to check the oil levels and colour in the drive line. There are some reports that the diff oil is only filled to apx 1" below the filler plug which is unusual for this type of commercial vehicle axle when the industry standard has been to fill to the level plug.
Dealer tech said it's not fill to spill there is a way to measure.

RAS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Booked in at the service garage in month's time (its an hour away). Agreed with them that in the meantime my local garage (100m away!) could check the diff levels by topping up to the fill point.

Each diff took 2 litres!! Guide says that the volume of each diff is 2.1 litres.

There's no signs of leakage. After only 3000 miles this must mean there was never any oil in there to begin with.

No difference to the whining sound.

Clear clunking sound when the vehicle is driven over smooth mown grass field. Can hear something on the road but its super clear when going slowly over the grass and the vehicle gently rocks. Half shaft bearings gone as well perhaps??

Expecting this to be a right carry on now. Any suggestions - should I be pushing for complete new axles?

Richard

P.S. Middle exhaust centre sensor wire had rubbed through the outer heat protection on the drive shaft. Just caught it before it reached the wires.

Back
Top Bottom