The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
That looks very close to the “plastic” gearbox sump cover 😳. So lucky that wasn’t taken out too, but clearly this incident was well managed at slow speed anyway I seem to recall👍🏼
I wouldn’t call it managed but simply driving below the 40mph limit and then stopping straight after being scared sh*tless by the almighty bang and vibrations.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
Photos from the Ineos dealer of the prop shaft damage. Complete prop shaft to be replaced inc oil cooler pipes etc

I was under my vehicle today and grabbed a few reference pics of the front propshaft and flange/coupling arrangement where it attaches to the transfer case, to show how it probably looked just before the coupling separated (plus copious amounts of African dust).
Hi @Logsplitter. It's hard to tell from your explanation and pics. Is it the transfer case oil cooler lines that got damaged? That's the flex hoses and stainless tubes marked in my last pic.

FYI @Barney

Attachments

• PXL_20240821_013038816.jpg
    PXL_20240821_013038816.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20240821_013120285.jpg
    PXL_20240821_013120285.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20240821_013533014.jpg
    PXL_20240821_013533014.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20240821_013138344-EDIT.jpg
    PXL_20240821_013138344-EDIT.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was under my vehicle today and grabbed a few reference pics of the front propshaft and flange/coupling arrangement where it attaches to the transfer case, to show how it probably looked just before the coupling separated (plus copious amounts of African dust).
Hi @Logsplitter. It's hard to tell from your explanation and pics. Is it the transfer case oil cooler lines that got damaged? That's the flex hoses and stainless tubes marked in my last pic.

FYI @Barney
Hi ClarkKent
Great shots and so clean!
I’ve been following this situation with interest and happened to zoom in on your third photo which I am attaching. I’m really hoping I’m seeing something that isn’t there but from some knowledge of materials and castings I don’t like the look of the flange that is sitting below the universal joint.
Anyway just looking to help out👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_7671.png
    IMG_7671.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 125

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi ClarkKent
Great shots and so clean!
I’ve been following this situation with interest and happened to zoom in on your third photo which I am attaching. I’m really hoping I’m seeing something that isn’t there but from some knowledge of materials and castings I don’t like the look of the flange that is sitting below the universal joint.
Anyway just looking to help out👍🏼

Well well, how to put a little excitement into my day @Karearea.
New pic - that look better?

It's a lubricant that has thrown off the coupling. Feels like a nickel anti-sieze compound. It had some road gravel mixed in to make it look very much like a cracked casting. It's also visible on the transfer case oil cooler pipes if you squint a bit.
That shaft was removed and installed when the transfer case was swapped out in my first week of ownership. I pointed this out to my agent at the first service recently and they think it's just excess coupling lube.
But it's a good reminder, thank you. I did ask the agent to clean up this area so I can monitor it. From Logsplitter's guts-and-all pics it look like the coupling contains a silver lubricant so I'm happy with the agent's assessment but I need to know that it's stopped bleeding given the 2+ cases of coupling separations.

Cheers!

Attachments

• PXL_20240821_051337239.jpg
    PXL_20240821_051337239.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 114

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well well, how to put a little excitement into my day @Karearea.
New pic - that look better?

It's a lubricant that has thrown off the coupling. Feels like a nickel anti-sieze compound. It had some road gravel mixed in to make it look very much like a cracked casting. It's also visible on the transfer case oil cooler pipes if you squint a bit.
That shaft was removed and installed when the transfer case was swapped out in my first week of ownership. I pointed this out to my agent at the first service recently and they think it's just excess coupling lube.
But it's a good reminder, thank you. I did ask the agent to clean up this area so I can monitor it. From Logsplitter's guts-and-all pics it look like the coupling contains a silver lubricant so I'm happy with the agent's assessment but I need to know that it's stopped bleeding given the 2+ cases of coupling separations.

Cheers!
Thanks for the detailed reply and I’m very pleased to be wrong! 😮‍💨

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

FYI @Barney
Yes transfer case cooler lines. All Parts are on emergency order and were in stock in the U.K. so I’m hoping I get my vehicle back for the weekend

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
CARPET GRABBER POUCHES/POCKETS
The carpet grabber pouches/pockets have arrived from CrazyDog Canvas. With Velcro hooks on the back, the pouches just stick to the new carpeted bracket.

Easy to reconfigure if needed.

My Jetboil is in one pocket, the middle pocket has a lantern and USB cables (or whatever) and the other has spare gas for the Jetboil. The fourth pocket was attached to my Bushman fridge cover to give me some storage area on the back of the fridge.

IMG_9296.jpg
full

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
All Parts are on emergency order and were in stock in the U.K.
All parts were in stock? Do or did they expect such a failure? :unsure:
Shouldn't these parts be parts that last a "truck-lifetime" or at least a very long time? 🤷‍♂️
I'm just wondering because I had to wait more than 3 month for the new ECU for the head unit, and this was an emergency order too. Also a part that should normally last a long time.
But I'm very glad your problem is being fixed in a timely manner.:)(y)

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All parts were in stock? Do or did they expect such a failure? :unsure:
Shouldn't these parts be parts that last a "truck-lifetime" or at least a very long time? 🤷‍♂️
I'm just wondering because I had to wait more than 3 month for the new ECU for the head unit, and this was an emergency order too. Also a part that should normally last a long time.
But I'm very glad your problem is being fixed in a timely manner.:)(y)
I would like to think it's because they are in the 'exposed underbelly' of the truck and therefore able to be damaged by off-roading rather than internal components which are highly protected.

Could be wrong though......

Still think a bit bizarre Ineos did not offer underbody protection from the start. Not exactly difficult to fabricate and charge for. Considering what the vehicle was designed for.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Still think a bit bizarre Ineos did not offer underbody protection from the start. Not exactly difficult to fabricate and charge for. Considering what the vehicle was designed for.
It's a bit bizarre they still don't offer it , as far as I know.
It was promised wasn't it?
Anyway I'm happy with the local aftermarket offering.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a bit bizarre they still don't offer it , as far as I know.
It was promised wasn't it?
Anyway I'm happy with the local aftermarket offering.
I've gone Almont along with PC01 and Logsplitter. Not received yet. Will update when fitted.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Hi @Logsplitter. It's hard
to tell from your explanation and pics. Is it the transfer case oil cooler lines that got damaged? That's the flex hoses and stainless tubes marked in my last pic.

FYI @Barney

Thanks a lot. Now I understand the „C“. Does anyone knows how much Nm we need for the screws?

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
... that's the reason why I prefer "high heels" to a complete underbody guard. But you have to decide that on an individual basis. On tricky sections, someone has to spot and the axles and limited-slip differentials are not higher (with original tires and rims) with a higher set of springs.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
If you have the Bison rear area raised shelf installed, and have gear on it, the rear dome light will no longer illuminate the cargo area below. I applied a length of LED sticky-back light strip to the underside of the rack edge. All is well lit now.

shelflight.jpeg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
If you have the Bison rear area raised shelf installed, and have gear on it, the rear dome light will no longer illuminate the cargo area below. I applied a length of LED sticky-back light strip to the underside of the rack edge. All is well lit now.

View attachment 7867467
Battery powered?

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom