The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Having just fitted the Almont underbody protection I have just had a closer look as to whether they might shield the transmission oil lines.
Whilst I think they offer the sump protection by stopping the prop flail towards it, I am not sure they will have any shielding effect on the oil lines.

Agree , but we shouldn't really be lying awake worried by this issue ; surely a TSB/recall should be in the pipeline, pending futher analysis. I know we only have 2 reports on the forum , but before someone comes up with an aftermarket <antiflail shield for everything> we need the issue fully investigated.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
Having just fitted the Almont underbody protection I have just had a closer look as to whether they might shield the transmission oil lines.
Whilst I think they offer the sump protection by stopping the prop flail towards it, I am not sure they will have any shielding effect on the oil lines.
I am presuming the oil line cut is the one directly above the prop highlighted red.

View attachment 7867211
I’ve just ordered the Almont underbody protection myself.
I’m not sure which oil line has been damaged but I have requested some more detailed photos of the failed part and any subsequent damage. It almost needs some sort yoke around the prop shaft at both ends that contains it incase of a joint failure.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Went for a timber trail run with the Land Rover Club I am a member of...all dirt roads, easy to medium difficulty with the odd slide due to wet greasy surfaces but in all no big mishaps...17 vehicles in all and considering the 7 hours and over 300klm we escaped with one puncture...first stop a Fire Lookout Tower[154 ft]at Jimna Southeast Queensland, then a lunch stop at an old sawmill, Elginvale Mill which is being preserved and Heritage listed with a caretaker onsite...it simple appears that it was tools down and each tool as band with a punched number on it...fantastic. The rest of the afternoon was traveling to the Brisbane River headwaters and 48 crossings later arrive in the country township of Linville, then home...brilliant (y)

The Defender in front of my Grenadier at the Fire Tower has the BMW turbo diesel ZF gearbox conversion and goes hard💪
The old Leyland with solid rubber tyres just sitting there still badged up...love it:love:

I did much of that run a few weeks ago @Max. Would be keen to know if the off track river run you did across the station was more than just the run along “Louisavale Rd” from Monsildale to Linville which follows the creek, or if there were more tracks to cover in the area.

IMG_6544.png

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
Today, some motorway, dentist consultation and mall crawling :eek: , that's what the Grenadier was NOT built for.

And, time for my second Service Interval, appointment already made last week, but only possible on September 9, and that means I will have driven about 1000 km more I guess.
40000 km is about 25000 miles.
20240819_091741.jpg

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
I did much of that run a few weeks ago @Max. Would be keen to know if the off track river run you did across the station was more than just the run along “Louisavale Rd” from Monsildale to Linville which follows the creek, or if there were more tracks to cover in the area.

View attachment 7867213
I have done that track which is a good run but the tracks we were on, were up and over Mt Stanley, the headwaters of the Brisbane River in the Kilkivan District and we came out onto that road to Linville about 20klm NW of the Monsildale Creek road which is about 5/6klm then to Linville. I will endeavor to find and post a map showing our route...cheers (y)

NotHerDecision

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Well we drove 2 trails near Breckenridge Colorado today for about 7 hours of off-roading. Crossed the continental divide at Webster’s pass and it scared the crap out of me decending from that on the side of a cliff. Here’s a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm thinking this issue could be initiated by a low /dry fluid level in the transfer case? My front seal is being replaced at the moment. My independent mechanic identified the issue and I had ~5k miles with 99.9% on asphalt. Poor quality manufacturing in my opinion. Ineos would not authorize a complete replacement of box - only replacement/repair of seals. Perhaps that is better ???
Welcome all feedback as I am learning! Being a vet, i know leaky vessels result in bad things in the pet.
Cheers!

I would think the issue is unrelated to the transfer box per se as the the failure was outside its confines. That means power was being transferred from the engine/transmission through the front prop shaft to the front axle assembly and it was the prop shaft that failed - In essence the most easily serviced part of the front drive train. The prop shaft potentially acted like a fuse. It would have been much more catastrophic had the front differential failed or, curse Crom, one of the outer CV's in the swivels. The question is "Is there something else going on in the front end that is not allowing power to be transferred unimpeded to the wheels or was the failure a manufacturing/assembly error?".

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would think the issue is unrelated to the transfer box per se as the the failure was outside its confines. That means power was being transferred from the engine/transmission through the front prop shaft to the front axle assembly and it was the prop shaft that failed - In essence the most easily serviced part of the front drive train. The prop shaft potentially acted like a fuse. It would have been much more catastrophic had the front differential failed or, curse Crom, one of the outer CV's in the swivels. The question is "Is there something else going on in the front end that is not allowing power to be transferred unimpeded to the wheels or was the failure a manufacturing/assembly error?".
I get what you’re saying but the “fuse”shouldn’t blow pootling around town at 35mph. Apart from some use offroad on my travels this vehicle doesn’t get worked hard as I drive with empathy for the vehicle. Never had a speeding point in my life either. This is definitely a manufacturing or installation fault although trying to prove either when the C- clip is broken or missing would be difficult. I am led to believe this is where the failure happened.
Because of low speed I managed to stop quickly so limiting damage.

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
Matzker installed the underbody protection today. I can‘t wait to pick the car up tomorrow to see it in real! I have seen that at the Abenteuer Allrad and really was convinced that this is what I want. The pictures now are looking very promising.I will publish more infos as soon as I have the car back. IMG_2895.jpegIMG_2901.jpegIMG_2899.jpegIMG_2898.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpeg
    IMG_2898.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2896.jpeg
    IMG_2896.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 36

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but the “fuse”shouldn’t blow pootling around town at 35mph. Apart from some use offroad on my travels this vehicle doesn’t get worked hard as I drive with empathy for the vehicle. Never had a speeding point in my life either. This is definitely a manufacturing or installation fault although trying to prove either when the C- clip is broken or missing would be difficult. I am led to believe this is where the failure happened.
Because of low speed I managed to stop quickly so limiting damage.

I hope you didn't think I was impugning your reputation. Certainly you are an accomplished world traveller and I am humbled by your adventures. You also obviously know your way around a vehicle. But from my very distant perspective I wonder if the failure of the driveshaft was cumulative rather than the result of a manufacturing defect - i.e wear from the total miles driven meaning the CV joint is underspec'd - or the result of some other failure in the system that resulted in the "blown fuse". If the latter is the cause then another CV failure should be expected sooner rather than later. Pootling in and of itself shouldn't cause anything worse than a traffic jam.

It does look like there is some drive shaft containment afforded by the Matzker skid plates so that's nice.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope you didn't think I was impugning your reputation. Certainly you are an accomplished world traveller and I am humbled by your adventures. You also obviously know your way around a vehicle. But from my very distant perspective I wonder if the failure of the driveshaft was cumulative rather than the result of a manufacturing defect - i.e wear from the total miles driven meaning the CV joint is underspec'd - or the result of some other failure in the system that resulted in the "blown fuse". If the latter is the cause then another CV failure should be expected sooner rather than later. Pootling in and of itself shouldn't cause anything worse than a traffic jam.

It does look like there is some drive shaft containment afforded by the Matzker skid plates so that's nice.
I had to look up impugning 😂. I’m not offended at all.
Cumulative wear shouldn’t occur at 20k miles I don't think in a vehicle like this that is built for purpose. , but maybe as you say the cardan joint is under spec’d but I doubt that as everything in the drivetrain compared to a Classic Defender seems over spec’d. I’ve never had a UJ failure in my previous Defender or other vehicles inc my Hilux that worked really hard inc carrying and towing far too much.Although I did grease on a regular basis which isn’t an option with the Grenadier prop shift joints.
The ineos dealer has explained to me to the best of my understanding that the failure is with the C clip so may be an inherent fault but I hope not. Hopefully this is an isolated incident as others with Grenadiers inc on this forum are doing some pretty adventurous stuff with some tough terrain.
I travelled heavy which from what I can gather from the dealers in Southern Africa the Grenadier is well within its capabilities. Some of the testing they did was far more extreme than anything I’ve done.
I’ve gone for the Almont4x4 underbody protection but only placed the order yesterday

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
Photos from the Ineos dealer of the prop shaft damage. Complete prop shaft to be replaced inc oil cooler pipes etc
Would be interesting if they can trace the quality check from the OEM of the shaft to see where it falls within the specs for the part. Maybe it was borderline in some respect which may need to looked at. If so, it could result in a targeted recall from that manufacturing lot.

Back
Top Bottom