The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Very well. Everything bar one (the first) exit successful on first try, never looked like stopping. Unfortunately one of my companions got water in his car in the first crossing and enthusiasm waned. We got off the track at bypass Rd. We did some more of the northern section the next day, but word of lots of drowned vehicles at Nolan's brook meant a group decision was made to take the bypass Rd.
I was very interested to see if you did Nolan's crossing, but that video shows the water was still deep elsewhere.

My rule is: always drive home. I would be on the bypass road with you.

Punsand Bay Camp Ground keeps a total for car write offs each year. It was around 30 when I was there, plus dream trips ruined, marriage breakups and everything in between. Your group acted wisely.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Kennedy Ranges Gascoyne WA.
Been there! I nearly got stuck at the river crossing (water nearly come thru the driver's open window). Great place to visit, enjoy.

Your van would be offroad caravan of choice!

Moon rise at Kennedy Ranges.

Gascoyne-RAW-2015-0035-Pano-DeNoiseAI-denoise_1.jpeg

Gascoyne-RAW-2015-0078-Pano-DeNoiseAI-denoise_1.jpeg

More images here:

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was very interested to see if you did Nolan's crossing, but that video shows the water was still deep elsewhere.

My rule is: always drive home. I would be on the bypass road with you.

Punsand Bay Camp Ground keeps a total for car write offs each year. It was around 30 when I was there, plus dream trips ruined, marriage breakups and everything in between. Your group acted wisely.
I was anxious about water crossings because my RAI is still an ongoing issue with its fit. If my companions were keen I would have gone on, but discretion is the better part of valour. No heroes in my group. And yes, best to drive home!
All that aside, it did everything very comfortably. One minor electrical glitch that occurred just after the deep crossing, rectified itself after an hour or so.
Once you get that hang of the sequence of buttons to press and remember to have handbrake on at same time, it's easy.
Rest day today

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
Very well. Everything bar one (the first) exit successful on first try, never looked like stopping. Unfortunately one of my companions got water in his car in the first crossing and enthusiasm waned. We got off the track at bypass Rd. We did some more of the northern section the next day, but word of lots of drowned vehicles at Nolan's brook meant a group decision was made to take the bypass Rd.
that's one helluva bath.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
Your typography skills are very good and I would suggest the Grenadier corporate designers will be happy but you seem to be spending far too much time on the beach having fun. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)
You have to get the day round somehow. :ROFLMAO:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Day off ; took a drive south and ended up along a rarely used old forestry track; definitely 4x4 only due to erosion and rocks with steep dropoffs and no phone coverage.
Purpose? Hiked to a fine 30m waterfall through excellent eucalypt and rain forest. Very steep and muddy but only about 1.25hrs return if you are fit.20240809_144708.jpg20240809_143018.jpg to this type of terrain.20240809_125022.jpg20240809_135411.jpg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I installed a fiskars axe on my molle panel. I always have an axe with me, driving up on california and oregon forest roads i've found it useful.
Wanted to fit a shovel above the axe to the right of the water tank but it just didn't fit well in that location.
I used to have a chain saw but once i got a winch i now use the axe and the winch together to get fallen trees out of trail. And it saved me some space. If the tree is massive i'll probably turn around but for smaller trees this has worked pretty well. I think i've used the axe more for firewood than for getting stuff out of the way but its like insurance, you never know when you need it...

PXL_20240809_183350687.jpg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I had an hour before dinner so i took the opportunity to do a few minor things.
I added a step on the the hitch., I'm having a bit of a back issue and it makes it easier to step up in the trunk and on the ladder. e-trailer. Foldable and really nice.
PXL_20240810_004333168-EDIT.jpgPXL_20240810_004344928-EDIT.jpg

Installed a stedi worklight on the rear. got it from napa. Works pretty well!
PXL_20240810_004314572.jpg
PXL_20240810_012051879.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I gave mine it’s first proper wash today since owning it. It’s had a couple of hosedowns to get mud etc off but I’ve not given it a decent tub.

Some observations:
It now looks a little whiter than cream - happy with that. 😊
I’m also looking forward to not having dirt coloured pants around the calves for a little while. 🥳
What kind of hell did the designers envisage when they designed this thing? Washing it is hard work - so many cracks and crevices and ladders and external hinges and L tracks and spare wheels etc to work around. How did you ex defender guys do it and stay positive? 🥵 perhaps this was the least of your problems. 😂
With my dodgey knee and not having access to a step ladder, I had no chance of cleaning the middle of roof or the middle of the windscreen. The windscreen is full of old bug carcasses so I’ll need to deal with that properly soon and then give it a dose of RainX.
The wheels have a lot more brake dust that the cruiser used to have. The X3 is the same so it must be a Euro car thing.

Anyway, that’s enough whinging. I suppose I should just go out and get it dirty again so I can get better with more practice. 😉

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
I gave mine it’s first proper wash today since owning it. It’s had a couple of hosedowns to get mud etc off but I’ve not given it a decent tub.

Some observations:
I’m also looking forward to not having dirt coloured pants around the calves for a little while. 🥳
What kind of hell did the designers envisage when they designed this thing? Washing it is hard work - so many cracks and crevices and ladders and external hinges and L tracks and spare wheels etc to work around. How did you ex defender guys do it and stay positive? 🥵 perhaps this was the least of your problems. 😂
With my dodgey knee and not having access to a step ladder, I had no chance of cleaning the middle of roof or the middle of the windscreen. The windscreen is full of old bug carcasses so I’ll need to deal with that properly soon and then give it a dose of RainX.
The wheels have a lot more brake dust that the cruiser used to have. The X3 is the same so it must be a Euro car thing.

Anyway, that’s enough whinging. I suppose I should just go out and get it dirty again so I can get better with more practice. 😉
Couldn't agree more re washing, oh well....I try not to let it get too clean :cool:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

Some observations:

I use a soapy dustpan brush to clean any non body coloured part. Very efficient.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Some observations:

You do get a lot more brake dust these days with synthetic materials used in the pads, lamenting the demise of asbestos.
However keep an eye on each wheel, if one has more brake dust than the others it can be the sign of a "sticky" caliper. L/R Discoverys are notorious for sticking calipers. Well all of my 5 Discos have been.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I tried to identify the problem with my winch but no luck as there seems to be no power at the controller. Although I can hear the relay/solenoid in the back click when I turn the 500a winch power on. As per help from @Wile E Coyote it’s easy to get to the controller. Using a T30 torx bit. 4screws on the light surround then 4 screws on the front of the wing front, IMG_1993.jpegthen ease that out as clips at the top. 5 x screws on the actual light fitting and two electrical plugs to pull apart. All very easy and literally 5 mins work to get the light out. I’m not inclined to do any more investigating as the vehicle has to go back to the dealers at some point for replacement or re powder coating if the side steps as the paint has worn off through use on gravel roads. Note newer vehicles have a tougher powder coating on side steps and sliders now. IMG_3665.jpegIMG_3667.jpegIMG_3672.jpegIMG_3673.jpegIMG_3675.jpegIMG_3676.jpegIMG_3677.jpegIMG_3678.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom