The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Just over the 1000 mile mark, with a journey to see my mother in Colchester, 2 x 130 miles and 2.5 hours driving time each way. Listened to a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery, (iPhone using BBC Sounds using ApplePlay), on the standard car stereo. I couldn't imagine doing that in my LR110, as it was just too loud - we both tended to use noise cancelling headphones, listening to different things.

Thankfully, my mother can get in the Grenadier and get comfortable; my wife is also comfortable in the back, so the next trip to France will be fine. I have the Ineos side bars and they seem to do a good job.

The Grenadier seems to be loosening up nicely, no dramas and a relatively quick journey there and back.

Drove past the Colchester Ineos dealer - lots of vehicles outside; I used to work near that site back in 1983/84 for Lancasters, PDI'ing and delivering Porsche and Ferrari, during the university holidays.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I picked up my vehicle from Grange Edinburgh. Wow, love it. Had to stop a mile into my 120 mile return as bonnet wasn’t closed properly, but a good slam sorted that. BFG tyres increased temperature enough for TDMS to give amber warning for over-pressure @ 42psi but again easily fixed. My overall first impression is ‘superb’. Feels and drives like an agile tank.
Christened with a glass of champagne.
That looks so good...black roof and 17 inch mags are exactly what I am having...now I have to find the tulips and chill the champagne...cheers

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Today I picked up my vehicle from Grange Edinburgh. Wow, love it. Had to stop a mile into my 120 mile return as bonnet wasn’t closed properly, but a good slam sorted that. BFG tyres increased temperature enough for TDMS to give amber warning for over-pressure @ 42psi but again easily fixed. My overall first impression is ‘superb’. Feels and drives like an agile tank.
Christened with a glass of champagne.
Looking very nice.

Did the BFG's come with white lettering out or did you change?

Reactions: PBD

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today went to a restaurant with about 10 members of my judo club, annual meeting of the directory. I am not member anymore (of the Directory), but always get invited to the meal after the meeting :)
Two of them are car mechanics, one, a Ghanaian hasn't a driving license (but he can drive!), and the other one broke his forearm at home! I drove both home with my Grenadier.
Both were really impressed by the behavior of the car (short motorway section and more city driving).
EDITED: only some of the men looked at my car, none of the women! :eek:

Back at home I tested my winch by pulling a bag of 30 kg. OK, I know, not a real test, but the winch works!
But the "numberplate European winch cover" is really "cheap and poorly designed". I lost already one of the plastic safety rings, the one that prevents you from loosing the screw! See the picture below. Had to make another one, didn't find it back in the grass!
View attachment 7811702
When I saw the cover on the Prototype I was wondering what the Australian version might be because we are having a steel bumper...that version for Europe will last from dealer to home and then sit in the shed but not on the car.

Reactions: PBD

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Outside from the factory on 17” at least. I think i saw on this forum that 18” have white lettering not showing 👍🏼

Ah good point, I noticed a lot of the 18” had lettering facing in.

Having seen the white lettering on an IG identical to my order, I like it, just breaks things up a little. I initially wanted the lettering facing in but I don’t mind.

What with the colours and tyre lettering, I used to think I was quite decisive but I’m not sure now 🤔

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Ah good point, I noticed a lot of the 18” had lettering facing in.

Having seen the white lettering on an IG identical to my order, I like it, just breaks things up a little. I initially wanted the lettering facing in but I don’t mind.

What with the colours and tyre lettering, I used to think I was quite decisive but I’m not sure now 🤔
I would prefer white lettering in but not bothered enough to pay to have the tyres swapped around.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yesss it exists !! First one seen in the wild !!! We need a tour now :)
It's not the official Ineos "Recovery Kit" accessory @ £357.
1684071248451.png

Rather it's one I've put together, better served for my own needs, I prefer soft shackles etc - maybe a tour later?

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
My winch recovery gear bag fits in just sweet with a couple of carabiners.

View attachment 7811825
@Arkaig that's a great idea. When I packed my car for the weekend I missed some kind of storage compartment for all the small stuff in the trunk. Thought about building a wooden box over the sloping wheel area.
Your idea is much more flexible and less effort. Will go for a similar approach. Many thanks for sharing.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Was completely busy Friday to Sunday and couldn't post what I did with my grenadier - as I went for a weekend of offroad driving in France. :):)

We were a group of ca 15 cars, mostly Defender TD4, TD5 and two Grenadiers!

Few first impressions. I will need more time to digest and list the points that need correction or enhancement suggestions for next generation:
- Car was very capable overall and any limitation was much more with me as driver (without any previous offroad experience).
- Enjoyed driving in low range very much. Provides much torque and slow control when off piste.
- Diesel engine is powerful and I always had the impression there is enough reserve.
- Offroad modus is convenient way to switch off most bings and bongs
- Hill decent control allows to drive down steep paths without any pedal work. Impressive.
- Happy to have odered diff locks. They are super useful when in difficult situation. Switching them on and off is not always straight forward. Had some situations when they wouldn't unlock for long distance in flat area. And when driving into next steep passage and in need for lock then they suddenly unlocked.
- The manual is rather basic and instruction how to lock / unlock diff is hidden very well between lot of warnings and irrelevant information. I miss a quick guide with actions relevant for offroad i.g. preconditions to activate diff lock. Maybe laminated onepager would help to quickly check while getting used to the Grenadier.
- The winch rope is about 2 Defender lenghts, so the 10.5m mentioned elsewhere are probably about right. Important to get a winch rope extension.

- Ground clearance of Grenadier is much less than direct comparison with old Defender. Low hanging diffs etc provoked term "pot-bellied pig" (German Hängebauchschein).
- The plastic front bumper is very long and this does not help in offroad terrain. Have to admit I was a bit jealous of V-shaped steel bumper and winch with 30m rope that some Defender have. Fully aware these are items that are no longer allowed for new cars in Europe.
- Underride guard act like gravel shovel. Looks like faulty design.
- Grenadier is heavy; significantly more than old Defender. And offroad less weight is easier.

Was a great weekend. Overall I clearly see the built for purpose. Happy with mechanics and expect / hope that many enhancements will be possible via future software versions.
Let me share some pictures.

Attachments

• intro1.jpg
    intro1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 140
  • intro2.jpg
    intro2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 140
  • intro3.jpg
    intro3.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 139
  • intro4.jpg
    intro4.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 141
  • image0.JPG
    image0.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 143
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 149
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 148
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Was completely busy Friday to Sunday and couldn't post what I did with my grenadier - as I went for a weekend of offroad driving in France. :):)

We were a group of ca 15 cars, mostly Defender TD4, TD5 and two Grenadiers!

Few first impressions. I will need more time to digest and list the points that need correction or enhancement suggestions for next generation:
- Car was very capable overall and any limitation was much more with me as driver (without any previous offroad experience).
- Enjoyed driving in low range very much. Provides much torque and slow control when off piste.
- Diesel engine is powerful and I always had the impression there is enough reserve.
- Offroad modus is convenient way to switch off most bings and bongs
- Hill decent control allows to drive down steep paths without any pedal work. Impressive.
- Happy to have odered diff locks. They are super useful when in difficult situation. Switching them on and off is not always straight forward. Had some situations when they wouldn't unlock for long distance in flat area. And when driving into next steep passage and in need for lock then they suddenly unlocked.
- The manual is rather basic and instruction how to lock / unlock diff is hidden very well between lot of warnings and irrelevant information. I miss a quick guide with actions relevant for offroad i.g. preconditions to activate diff lock. Maybe laminated onepager would help to quickly check while getting used to the Grenadier.
- The winch rope is about 2 Defender lenghts, so the 10.5m mentioned elsewhere are probably about right. Important to get a winch rope extension.

- Ground clearance of Grenadier is much less than direct comparison with old Defender. Low hanging diffs etc provoked term "pot-bellied pig" (German Hängebauchschein).
- The plastic front bumper is very long and this does not help in offroad terrain. Have to admit I was a bit jealous of V-shaped steel bumper and winch with 30m rope that some Defender have. Fully aware these are items that are no longer allowed for new cars in Europe.
- Underride guard act like gravel shovel. Looks like faulty design.
- Grenadier is heavy; significantly more than old Defender. And offroad less weight is easier.

Was a great weekend. Overall I clearly see the built for purpose. Happy with mechanics and expect / hope that many enhancements will be possible via future software versions.
Let me share some pictures.
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences and first impressions.
Gravel shovel comes as a good headline 😁

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent stuff.

When you mention guard acting as a gravel shovel, are you referring to the rear one?

Back
Top Bottom