The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tool kit

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
I've recently supplemented the bigger radios with one of these. Bought when there was much talk of potential blackouts in the UK; so chiefly a nice lantern but the DAB radio on it is also surprisingly decent and it's a good bit lighter to carry round the garden.
View attachment 7811751
Just saw this. OMG.
Another thing missing in my collection ...

... I mean, it's a natural decision if I buy it, I already have all the batteries ...:whistle:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Just saw this. OMG.
Another thing missing in my collection ...

... I mean, it's a natural decision if I buy it, I already have all the batteries ...:whistle:
I'm thinking of hanging it from the rear view mirror:

* it has a DAB radio that actually works - in fact it is superb and the functionality of changing stations is at gold standard level
* it will save the vehicle battery when an internal light is needed (and importantly turn off when I want it too)
* the angle of dangle offroad will replace the electronic tilt screens that don't work or are just inaccurate
* it's way better than any built in puddle lamps (saving more than the purchase price right there!)
* is way better than the see me home option with headlights

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:37 AM
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just disconnect the negative terminal first?
All my cars have battery disconnect switches. Good insurance for tinkerers!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking of hanging it from the rear view mirror:

* it has a DAB radio that actually works - in fact it is superb and the functionality of changing stations is at gold standard level
* it will save the vehicle battery when an internal light is needed (and importantly turn off when I want it too)
* the angle of dangle offroad will replace the electronic tilt screens that don't work or are just inaccurate
* it's way better than any built in puddle lamps (saving more than the purchase price right there!)
* is way better than the see me home option with headlights
Despite of the kidding I'm convinced it is an excellent device.

But after some thinking I have already decided not to buy it - although I'd really like to have it. Here is why:
  1. I would love to have something for blackout scenarios (no kidding). But DAB will be one of the first infrastructures to go down. That's the knock out point for me.
  2. I already have some Baofeng radios (UV-9R) that can receive (and transmit, 5-8 Watts) any band I want, and even have a quick-dial option to listen to FM radio, including police and other BOS (Authorities and organsiations with security tasks) services when they're still analog. And in case of a real Blackout, on the second day at the latest, they definitely will start looking where they crammed their good old "obsolete" radios. Yes, (operating) the Baofengs is illegal in Germany. But necessity knows no commandment (and in normal times I never use them).
  3. I have a dozen flashlights and lamps of all kinds. USB charged, AA cell powered, 18650 powered - and the chargers I can plug into my 2 kWh Bluetti power bank (for which I have my portable 700 Wp solar panels).
  4. My wife will kill me if I suggest another redundant "emergency" purchase.

But I must admit it is still a sexy thing.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My wife will kill me if I suggest another redundant "emergency" purchase.

But I must admit it is still a sexy thing.
Your wife?
Anyway , surely you need a snakebite kit?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
For that price it should come with a mechanic included.
I can't think of a more inappropriate coupling of polar opposites - I feel shaken having just clicked on that link!! The tools are great, but sticking them in a nubuck all-grain leather roll and case, for the love of god man - just no. A hessian grease stained and beer/tea/coffee soaked cloth, yes - poncey leather, I hope a thousand flies infect his permanent open wound!!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I can't think of a more inappropriate coupling of polar opposites - I feel shaken having just clicked on that link!! The tools are great, but sticking them in a nubuck all-grain leather roll and case, for the love of god man - just no. A hessian grease stained and beer/tea/coffee soaked cloth, yes - poncey leather, I hope a thousand flies infect his permanent open wound!!!
Do you not aspire to be "Relaxed, sensual, cultured"?

Back
Top Bottom