The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas The big May 17 Announcement / Pricing / Discussion thread.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
Ooohh goody, I hoped someone would take the watch bait:
- The AMG G Wagen is the Hublot Big Bang; at its core a nice product but really overpriced bling bling for the new money crowd and owned by corporate luxury giant LVMH (no offence intended for G Wagen or Hublot owners!)
- The Grenadier is the stainless Rolex Submariner no date: rock solid, over engineered and over priced, has the features you need and none you don't. A bit plain looking to the uninitiated but once you get it nothing else compares. Made by a massively cashed up independent who will do their own thing.
- The Tacoma/Hilux is the Seiko dive watch; nice safe design, well made, well priced, dealers everywhere, reliable and easy to service and get parts. The logical, wise, safe choice.
- The Mercedes or BMW SUV is the TAG Heuer; its the watch you buy when you want something fancier than the average Joe, appreciate a bit of attainable Euro luxury but can't justify the price of a Rolex. LVMH again.
But the city boys buy replicas that look the same. The watch goes no deeper than the pool at the local gym ;)

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Perhaps it's the US that doesn't understand the Grenadier?
Most of the US doesn't. It's a completely unnecessary vehicle for the states. Most of us on this forum are the types of people that have always wished we could get the Defender it's supposed to replace, or the diesel Toyotas, or the Suzuki Jimny, etc.

There is a reason those vehicles aren't sold here, and it's because not enough Americans would buy them.

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
~$1000 for rock rails/sliders (hopefully installed), is insane?? Full Throttle is at $700 for Jeep/Toyota, but those aren't even powdercoated, nor installed. Winch price is high yes, but it is an exclusive 11k winch (most winches for this size rig would be 9.5k).
I can't see how IA would have gotten their pricing wrong and posted it--so I doubt it will change/lower now.

1510lbs payload isn't enough? That's similar to a G-Wagen, Cruiser, 4Runner, GX.

I had that thought, but they are refunding all deposits, and you can cancel anytime before signing with the dealer, so I'll continue on the path for now and see how things look closer to my purchase date.
I'm in my mid sixties and grew up living and off-roading all over the Sierra's, Cascades, Wasatch and for the past 12 years the Northern Rockies and Great Basin. I'm a Hunter and Fisherman. and get way up in the mountains. I currently own a 2005 G-500, 2" lift running 8.25 r16 on Hutchison bead locks, Warn Winch w/Viking carrier, ARB roof rack, lot's of constant repairs on non-driveline isuses. Window regulators, door locks, accessory ECM's. Great off road with the lift and Center diff and axle lockers. I also have F350 Crew Cab DRW 7.3L 4x4, very solid, just too big to go some places. Sold my 1995 NAS D90SW, Old Man Emu lift. ARB bull bar with Warn Winch, Factory Roof rack, ARB lockers, wish I hadn't done that and instead sent it to East Coast Rover and converted it to a 110 chassis with a small block and I would still have it and not be looking. It was uncomfortable to drive long distances, as we do out West and was stuffed full when I had my 2 bird dogs and all my camping and gear inside and on the roof rack, so I often trailered it. Sold my 1984 FJ60 with TLC small block conversion, ARB lift, ARB front bumper and Warn winch, Slee Rear bumper to buy the D90, kept it for 20 years. Also owned a 1967 Willy's Wagon with a small block Chevy motor and a 1963 Chevy Short bed factory 4X4, built Chevy 350 and K5 Blazer axles, sold both so I could pay for college. So not my first rodeo, all the vehicles have/had their good points and shortcomings. Test drove the IG at the AZ prototype event. Drove very planted on the short off road loop, not sure how it will drive on the road, my guess is somewhere between a G-Wagen and 2nd gen Range Rover classic. Load capacity for me is more about trailer towing and poor MPG and with the price being up in the mid to high $90's and a poor Dealer/Service footprint I figure I will wait to see how things go for IG and customers in NA. It looks fantastic. The interior is OK, but could use some analog gauges and controls so you don't have to use the goofy center control module and stronger plastics on the overhead console and facia plates, they feel fragile and with hard driving may not last. I wish IG and all buyers a favorable experience, I'm still watching and hoping the "unicorn" has been found. I'll keep my fingers crossed.P1010002.JPGP1010002.JPG

Local time
Reaction score
Doing my due diligence and pricing out some other options. The cheapest LC200 on Autotrader near me with under 50k miles is $91000. Sent it to the wife as a comp. Maybe I will be able to spec the winch after all. 😆

Time to look outside your "near me" radius. Not trying to talk you out of an IG, but since you mentioned alternatives...

'17 LC200, 62k, some goofy overland stuff, $58k

'17 LC200, 57k, $67k

'18 LC200, 64k, $64k

Many more LC200's out there....

Also, for G-Wagen's;

'04 G500, 60k, $44k

'04 G55, 52k, $55k

'04 G500, 14k, $60k

I'm in my mid sixties and grew up living and off-roading all over the Sierra's, Cascades, Wasatch and for the past 12 years the Northern Rockies and Great Basin. I'm a Hunter and Fisherman. and get way up in the mountains. I currently own a 2005 G-500, 2" lift running 8.25 r16 on Hutchison bead locks, Warn Winch w/Viking carrier, ARB roof rack, lot's of constant repairs on non-driveline isuses. Window regulators, door locks, accessory ECM's. Great off road with the lift and Center diff and axle lockers. I also have F350 Crew Cab DRW 7.3L 4x4, very solid, just too big to go some places. Sold my 1995 NAS D90SW, Old Man Emu lift. ARB bull bar with Warn Winch, Factory Roof rack, ARB lockers, wish I hadn't done that and instead sent it to East Coast Rover and converted it to a 110 chassis with a small block and I would still have it and not be looking. It was uncomfortable to drive long distances, as we do out West and was stuffed full when I had my 2 bird dogs and all my camping and gear inside and on the roof rack, so I often trailered it. Sold my 1984 FJ60 with TLC small block conversion, ARB lift, ARB front bumper and Warn winch, Slee Rear bumper to buy the D90, kept it for 20 years. Also owned a 1967 Willy's Wagon with a small block Chevy motor and a 1963 Chevy Short bed factory 4X4, built Chevy 350 and K5 Blazer axles, sold both so I could pay for college. So not my first rodeo, all the vehicles have/had their good points and shortcomings. Test drove the IG at the AZ prototype event. Drove very planted on the short off road loop, not sure how it will drive on the road, my guess is somewhere between a G-Wagen and 2nd gen Range Rover classic. Load capacity for me is more about trailer towing and poor MPG and with the price being up in the mid to high $90's and a poor Dealer/Service footprint I figure I will wait to see how things go for IG and customers in NA. It looks fantastic. The interior is OK, but could use some analog gauges and controls so you don't have to use the goofy center control module and stronger plastics on the overhead console and facia plates, they feel fragile and with hard driving may not last. I wish IG and all buyers a favorable experience, I'm still watching and hoping the "unicorn" has been found. I'll keep my fingers crossed.View attachment 7812675View attachment 7812675

After my own heart. Sounds like we owed a similar G500 build.
You probably knew there were updated window regulators, door/seat switches were always finicky. But engine/trans/drivetrain is super solid.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Ooohh goody, I hoped someone would take the watch bait:
- The AMG G Wagen is the Hublot Big Bang; at its core a nice product but really overpriced bling bling for the new money crowd and owned by corporate luxury giant LVMH (no offence intended for G Wagen or Hublot owners!)
- The Grenadier is the stainless Rolex Submariner no date: rock solid, over engineered and over priced, has the features you need and none you don't. A bit plain looking to the uninitiated but once you get it nothing else compares. Made by a massively cashed up independent who will do their own thing.
- The Tacoma/Hilux is the Seiko dive watch; nice safe design, well made, well priced, dealers everywhere, reliable and easy to service and get parts. The logical, wise, safe choice.
- The Mercedes or BMW SUV is the TAG Heuer; its the watch you buy when you want something fancier than the average Joe, appreciate a bit of attainable Euro luxury but can't justify the price of a Rolex. LVMH again.
+1
Great call on the Big Bang .. 100% eye candy

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
Most of the US doesn't. It's a completely unnecessary vehicle for the states. Most of us on this forum are the types of people that have always wished we could get the Defender it's supposed to replace, or the diesel Toyotas, or the Suzuki Jimny, etc.

There is a reason those vehicles aren't sold here, and it's because not enough Americans would buy them.

A big reason the old defender, etc are/were not sold it the US is because of all our regulations which adds costs.....another reason the Grenadier is more costly than what many expected.

Local time
Reaction score
A big reason the old defender, etc are/were not sold it the US is because of all our regulations which adds costs.....another reason the Grenadier is more costly than what many expected.
And not enough buyers to offset those costs. Automakers comply with the regulations all the time on the models that actually sell here. Another recent example is the death of the European station wagon. Americans weren't buying enough of them, so they quit making US compliant versions.

Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps it's the US that doesn't understand the Grenadier?
I think you will find that the IG is coming into the market at a time when they can command the prices they are asking. I’ve read this thread and much of what’s been stated was known minus a bump in pricing. The reality is that you have to have a decent amount of discretionary income to afford the increased prices especially if you plan on financing (with rates where they are). This is the equivalent of buying a sports car to complement your daily driver.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So for those of us staying in the game how will everyone option?
My build is base model with the following:
Magic Mushroom - Would like to see all the colors in person first tho
Rear Ladder*
Rough Pack
Auxiliary Switches
Auxiliary Battery
Heated Seats
Towing package*
Compass/Altimeter*
$79,855

* If I can add these after the fact, I would.

On the fence, any thoughts:
Safari Windows
Exterior Utility Belt
Power Take-Off, 400W
Upgraded Stereo in place of Aux Battery

She is a little tired of all this talk and ready to go for her ride.

AJFCJaUvs-R2XwmnmAc2MEsVjxvtXipl4PB0YPV8rQE3FqwYeL3ZwLRhAPw4IK8APt99Dq4sxJLWnLmTRZkJLmFOdZG8uXr5NY_0qDN231VdqGtiTa7NPsJ16MnRvFJm6T_y46RnHZM5qsELT_k3kXljNHFqiGP0qowipknME2lIL0RgjXpjsWxgmSpu48w79RzrYqFQ0FyDbLFRlzd9rNl0icvm2kXCjWm7PyM0cG3hUjZW4uS63GZ6MxUjeNCiQnzqK8SnWbD7X5peYix76mhWhxfJF6C8IbH4Nk96BSSPh4n-okqnHvpT2mSzgm_MfxNaTGwQ-FFKg218R0NJbvrmt-f4hqUdR7WNZ69HpJzo9gmaqHPV7UV9t83OMO3Kb3cJkRwWg1umLzJayAGrIAVMHP66n7qXJvapDN8WTZJA0nzpgNnKvrh2WHa_WAd3JHp6mCd2el_Oqvjj-pfuMi7w8Wq5-ZnUziReg2ugSbMIdrwKgMo_w-QsCPDfPpLYBFBcL7MqEhe45sQ5aMaMQRiMou-GGqsdraiiLOtEJZqFR_MSLwNmGT8M_Nl2E5fbWmTjQUoxjSF9QPX8JRptUGKzv9SXDU8pR5i1VFAR_VWP2Ie9BlESynFn9mRr5Nx4XlrgS_a-rJjK1fYWYGS5ZB-wk2_6HbTn3NU93s7f0I0Lp9Pif2KCb5DY1khedycr4awNp6OGMHWFIVsXDXJdh_zC2KNvB2PW2tXT9OXVW_VvJxgzzfk4lx3SQ92ATDDsBt-fnEfHTQIUx572f81wB5D76JBQgI6R8aEr1t2k-ykbr4fCGUM69K_k2ghVLBNLtO7NA9UB1vTOHTPFk2AM-6lWwmC_1btptMU9pAIH2ZjvMCNa1VSqSJGthsJKPs__DrKdSo2F-NQbYKY2N52nmLgcZF4=w648-h863-s-no

Happy Friday Night!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rear Ladder*
Rough Pack
Auxiliary Switches
Auxiliary Battery
Heated Seats
Towing package*
Compass/Altimeter*
$79,855

Safari Windows
Exterior Utility Belt
Power Take-Off, 400W

AJFCJaUvs-R2XwmnmAc2MEsVjxvtXipl4PB0YPV8rQE3FqwYeL3ZwLRhAPw4IK8APt99Dq4sxJLWnLmTRZkJLmFOdZG8uXr5NY_0qDN231VdqGtiTa7NPsJ16MnRvFJm6T_y46RnHZM5qsELT_k3kXljNHFqiGP0qowipknME2lIL0RgjXpjsWxgmSpu48w79RzrYqFQ0FyDbLFRlzd9rNl0icvm2kXCjWm7PyM0cG3hUjZW4uS63GZ6MxUjeNCiQnzqK8SnWbD7X5peYix76mhWhxfJF6C8IbH4Nk96BSSPh4n-okqnHvpT2mSzgm_MfxNaTGwQ-FFKg218R0NJbvrmt-f4hqUdR7WNZ69HpJzo9gmaqHPV7UV9t83OMO3Kb3cJkRwWg1umLzJayAGrIAVMHP66n7qXJvapDN8WTZJA0nzpgNnKvrh2WHa_WAd3JHp6mCd2el_Oqvjj-pfuMi7w8Wq5-ZnUziReg2ugSbMIdrwKgMo_w-QsCPDfPpLYBFBcL7MqEhe45sQ5aMaMQRiMou-GGqsdraiiLOtEJZqFR_MSLwNmGT8M_Nl2E5fbWmTjQUoxjSF9QPX8JRptUGKzv9SXDU8pR5i1VFAR_VWP2Ie9BlESynFn9mRr5Nx4XlrgS_a-rJjK1fYWYGS5ZB-wk2_6HbTn3NU93s7f0I0Lp9Pif2KCb5DY1khedycr4awNp6OGMHWFIVsXDXJdh_zC2KNvB2PW2tXT9OXVW_VvJxgzzfk4lx3SQ92ATDDsBt-fnEfHTQIUx572f81wB5D76JBQgI6R8aEr1t2k-ykbr4fCGUM69K_k2ghVLBNLtO7NA9UB1vTOHTPFk2AM-6lWwmC_1btptMU9pAIH2ZjvMCNa1VSqSJGthsJKPs__DrKdSo2F-NQbYKY2N52nmLgcZF4=w648-h863-s-no

Happy Friday Night!
I built my base model with exactly as you mention (but SW colour). The car is built so cant change anything.

I have since driven 3 Grenadier on "drive days" - all with the safari windows.

GET THE SAFARI WINDOWS!!

They are bloody great

p.s. add the utility belt

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
And not enough buyers to offset those costs. Automakers comply with the regulations all the time on the models that actually sell here. Another recent example is the death of the European station wagon. Americans weren't buying enough of them, so they quit making US compliant versions.

There are enough new defenders, broncos, jeeps sold in the US to show this is a popular segment and many buyers. It is a growing segment which is why Ford jumped in with the new bronco, Jeep brought back the Grand Waggoner.

IG is not going to have a problem selling 5000 to 10,000 a year.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The Chinese knock offs are already available, not sure if this is the A, B or C grade Shanghai special
View attachment 7812677
I was talking watches , but hey let's mention cheap 4x4s!
The Chinese do a job of mimicking. Not a good job IMO, but if "rugged look" is what floats the boat and lightly empties your wallet, go for it!
I'm sure there will be a few Trialmasters tooling around Beijing in due course as well! Gonna need a 20 story raised air intake though.

Local time
Reaction score
I built my base model with exactly as you mention (but SW colour). The car is built so cant change anything.

I have since driven 3 Grenadier on "drive days" - all with the safari windows.

GET THE SAFARI WINDOWS!!

They are bloody great

p.s. add the utility belt
+1 the safari windows are a requirement with the high seating position and relatively shallow windscreen

Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
I just priced a 23 F350 single rear wheel, crew cab, Lariat, 8 ft bed. It came very close to the IG and it has better fuel economy. So I hate to say it, the IG would have been a marginal tow vehicle for my needs and overpriced on everything else. It's a math equation at this point and the IG keeps losing. I really wanted the IG to win. I'm a buyer of one used but not new.

(Most people won't cross shop those vehicles, but I need to.)

Local time
Reaction score
There are enough new defenders, broncos, jeeps sold in the US to show this is a popular segment and many buyers. It is a growing segment which is why Ford jumped in with the new bronco, Jeep brought back the Grand Waggoner.

IG is not going to have a problem selling 5000 to 10,000 a year.
With those vehicles you get way more amenities, and save $20k. The people buying Broncos and Jeeps aren't spending $100k on a utility SUV that gets 14mpg, and the people buying Defenders and Grand Wagoneers are getting cooled leather seats, walnut interior trim, and refrigerated console storage.

Local time
Reaction score
Rear Ladder*
Rough Pack
Auxiliary Switches
Auxiliary Battery
Heated Seats
Towing package*
Compass/Altimeter*
$79,855

Safari Windows
Exterior Utility Belt
Power Take-Off, 400W

Happy Friday Night!
Mine is just a base with rough pack, electrical, and eldoret blue. $76,580.

Might add the safari windows which brings it to $78,730.

I want the white roof, but I can paint that myself for a lot less than $1200. The rest can be added later as needed.

Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just priced a 23 F350 single rear wheel, crew cab, Lariat, 8 ft bed. It came very close to the IG and it has better fuel economy. So I hate to say it, the IG would have been a marginal tow vehicle for my needs and overpriced on everything else. It's a math equation at this point and the IG keeps losing. I really wanted the IG to win. I'm a buyer of one used but not new.

All options are open when you are going to drop $80k + on a vehicle.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I feel you. Every time I go car shopping a truck is on the short list for utility. I don't need anything as big as the F350 but the F150 can be nice. Less capable than the Gren in some ways and more useful in others.
+1 the safari windows are a requirement with the high seating position and relatively shallow windscreen
I'm 6'2" and the safari windows make a huge difference in subjective roominess. A must have for me, although I will probably end up getting blackout tint on them.

Back
Top Bottom