The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

(The battery and monitor thread )Car dead in the middle of the woods

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi all.

Car is dead.

Battery was at 50% 2 hours back.
We now packed all together and car does not start.

Is there an Ineos support hotline I can call on a Sunday?

Thanks

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
High draw vs low draw?
I'd say "dispensable vs. indispensable". T

The dispensable ones can be switched off in case of undervoltage (by the Smartpass), while the indispensable ones cannot.
typo

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Please excuse the naive question. I'm not a pro with auto electrics. I'm going to Austria tomorrow. I have currently fully charged the auxiliary battery in the diesel with a charger. Likewise, the starter battery via the power socket in the rear with the RWR switch switched on beforehand. The battery should now show almost 100%. The display in the car with the ignition on is 95%. I'm curious if the battery will level off at ~ 80% again or stay > 80%. Are there new experiences with silent consumers?

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
There are always loads (what you call consumers) that are active. I have not yet been able to make some measurements, but I certainly will sooner or later.

In my opinion, an 80 or 85% battery should not be a problem. And it would be ridiculous if we had to charge our cars with an external charger just because we didn't drive more than 100 km yesterday. I drove 40 km tonight and left with an 85% battery and came home with an 87% battery.

But I don't care about that. I think that the electronics and the whole concept has to take care of a sufficient battery charge and I am absolutely not willing to take care of it myself.

So I just drive and then I see what happens. After all, in case I have a problem, I have ADAC (AA in the UK) as well.

It would be a different thing in Africa. But on the other hand, when I look out of the window and see our streets and hear people talking on the street, I'm not sure anymore if I might be in Africa after all. 🤷‍♂️
wording

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, some feedback on battery drain. My IG is a Trialmaster with double battery setup and the winch. I received it on July 1st but didn’t check the battery status then. We did take it for a few spins (100+ km’s) and on July 12th I parked it in my garage because we would be leaving on holiday the 19th. Battery was 99% charged according to the display in the offroad section. The car has sat in my garage until yesterday when I started it up for the first time in a month. I immediately checked the battery and it read out 83%, so a loss of capacity of app. 16% on a month.

Did a 100 km drive around country lanes yesterday and it charged back up (slowly) to 89%.

Vote:
Upvote 0

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, some feedback on battery drain. My IG is a Trialmaster with double battery setup and the winch. I received it on July 1st but didn’t check the battery status then. We did take it for a few spins (100+ km’s) and on July 12th I parked it in my garage because we would be leaving on holiday the 19th. Battery was 99% charged according to the display in the offroad section. The car has sat in my garage until yesterday when I started it up for the first time in a month. I immediately checked the battery and it read out 83%, so a loss of capacity of app. 16% on a month.

Did a 100 km drive around country lanes yesterday and it charged back up (slowly) to 89%.
Then something is wrong with mine. Losing 4% per day. But % does bot say much, so monitoring V now to understand what is going on.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It would be a different thing in Africa. But on the other hand, when I look out of the window and see our streets and hear people talking on the street, I'm not sure anymore if I might be in Africa after all. 🤷‍♂️
I don’t know where you live Mr. X (I couldn't find your name).
But I'm pretty sure it doesn’t look like this if you look out of the window, too many coloured people.

Enjoy the weekend, Fabio

IMG_1649.jpeg

Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know where you live Mr. X (I couldn't find your name).
But I'm pretty sure it doesn’t look like this if you look out of the window, too many coloured people.

View attachment 7823200
You're right. Traffic and buildings are different. As yet.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Please excuse the naive question. I'm not a pro with auto electrics. I'm going to Austria tomorrow. I have currently fully charged the auxiliary battery in the diesel with a charger. Likewise, the starter battery via the power socket in the rear with the RWR switch switched on beforehand. The battery should now show almost 100%. The display in the car with the ignition on is 95%. I'm curious if the battery will level off at ~ 80% again or stay > 80%. Are there new experiences with silent consumers?
After the vacation or after 4 days of standstill, the display was at 88% capacity without additional consumers. Then we drove a bit and the gauge was at 91%. Same today on the way back. 88% this morning, 92% right now for 2 hours.
image.jpg

Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry. Mine varies from 85% to 92% all the time. It sometimes sits for four days without being used and then is in the mid 80%s. After I come back from a ride (20 - 40 Km) it's usuall between two and four percent more. On average, neither improving nor worsening.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I do btw have a measurement in my disgram which says 100% at 14.2V. Although there is no discharging going on on your screenshot, it instead says 92% at the same voltage.

I think the numbers are not very meaningful if seen without context. What counts is how it develops in comparison over longer periods of time. As long as there are no significant drops, everything should be okay.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
These cars do seem to discharge at a high rate... although I don't believe that it is pulling 8A because the battery wouldn't last long if it did.
If the battery is down @ 63% that's not good either as Lead Acids really don't like to be below 75%

It's all very odd really.
@das mo was reporting a 4% loss and other quoting 2% per day ...
Something is not right for sure...

Does Ineos say this is 'perfectly normal' or have they no comment ?

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is now day eleven that I don't drive my car but I sometimes opened it to check things inside.

I didn't try to start it, but I am confident it will: I was some weeks ago even lower (red warning lights on both screens!)
Have you thought about plugging in a smart charger (something like a CTEK MXS 5.0) whilst it's parked up at home?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These cars do seem to discharge at a high rate... although I don't believe that it is pulling 8A because the battery wouldn't last long if it did.
If the battery is down @ 63% that's not good either as Lead Acids really don't like to be below 75%
The car was pulling 8A (still quite a lot in my opinion) because the contact was on.
The battery was at 12.1V, not too bad.
And in the past 10 days I did open my car and verified things, therefore each time I probably drew some 8 A.

Have you thought about plugging in a smart charger (something like a CTEK MXS 5.0) whilst it's parked up at home?
Are you sure it is compatible with Grenadier? :unsure: :eek: ;)

Thanks for the hint. It almost never happens I don't use my car for such a long period, and never thought about it.
It is my only car, but since it is so big and drinks a lot, I have an agreement with my wife that going to the supermarket is with her car, therefore it could happen more. I have also a 🚲

Vote:
Upvote 0

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
The car was pulling 8A (still quite a lot in my opinion) because the contact was on.
The battery was at 12.1V, not too bad.
And in the past 10 days I did open my car and verified things, therefore each time I probably drew some 8 A.

Are you sure it is compatible with Grenadier? :unsure: :eek: ;)

Thanks for the hint. It almost never happens I don't use my car for such a long period, and never thought about it.
It is my only car, but since it is so big and drinks a lot, I have an agreement with my wife that going to the supermarket is with her car, therefore it could happen more. I have also a 🚲
Yes, it is. At the moment I am in the process of reconnecting my vehicles to the devices. I have been using exactly these MXS5.0 devices for years.
My Grenadier dealer also uses exactly these devices for the vehicles in the showroom (Grenadiers and G models).

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do we really believe that it's pulling 8A or so at rest ? That is a very high discharge rate. I very much doubt the figure is correct.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Miki I mean:
  • I was in the car
  • The key in the contact (or how do you call this in English)
  • Contact on (otherwise I can't access the info screen)
  • and to reply @Tomdoc : no I don't believe it pulls 8A at rest (me and the key out of the car), but here it wasn't totally at rest

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom