The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tech Specs

Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
Nice find! The engine decoder on the 12th page(8) will be fun to compare with the Ineos designations. Particularly number 7, performance classes.On the B58 document.

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
emax said:
Aside acceleration and top speed: Is there really something which you can't do with 250 HP but with 500?

Thanks for your reply.

1. If you read my post, you will see that I never said I wanted 500 HP. I said that if the 3.0 I6 from Stellantis can make over 500 HP and 475 lb-ft of torque, then one would think that a 3.0 de-tuned for longevity could make in the order of 350 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque. Given that the B58 is forced induction, and won't lose much power at elevation, I would be okay with 325 HP and 350 lb-ft of torque.

2. My guess is that you do not live at 8,500 feet above sea level (2,580 meters), nor do you regularly drive over 11,000 foot passes (3,340 meters). We do. My commute involves over 3,000 feet of elevation change (1,000 meters). Weighing in at 5,840 pounds, the Grenadier's 281 HP doesn't seem sufficient for our on-road needs - though I think it should be fine off-road. It is forced induction, so it will not lose power due to elevation, so I am reserving final judgement until I drive one. But frankly, I expect more power from a $75,000 vehicle - even one that is clearly not staking out turf in the performance SUV market. Before you offer any vehicle-buying advice, if I wanted a performance SUV I would buy one - there are plenty to choose from.

Here are a handful of vehicles ranked first by horsepower per pound of vehicle weight, and then ranked by torque per pound of vehicle weight. Comparing power by vehicle weight controls for weight (the Power Wagon, for example, has one of the strongest engines, but it is also the heaviest vehicle, so when you control for weight, it ranks quite low). These just happen to be vehicles of a similar category that we have either owned or thought about purchasing. We have also owned sports sedans (Audi RS4, Audi S4) but I don't include those for what should be obvious reasons. Of all the vehicles in this list, only the Toyota Landcruiser is more expensive than the Grenadier. Before anyone rushes to inform me that when you buy a Grenadier you are not purchasing it for its power or blazing speed, but its solid build and design, uhhh, yeah, I'm well-aware. My history driving true off-road vehicles began in the 1980s when I drove Defenders in the Royal Marines. I owned a 1975 Toyota Landcruiser FJ-40, and a 1978 Jeep CJ-7.

Note: the Grenadier will drive better than the numbers indicate, because its power will come in at low rpms, due to the turbo. By contrast, the naturally aspirated V6 engines in this list have to be wrung out to make their full power.

Note: the "4Runner Super Ch" refers to the current generation of Toyota 4Runner with a dealer-installed Magnuson super charger; price for a 2022 Trail Edition, with a rear locker, and a super charger: $50,000

Lastly, I would point out that people have different end-uses for their vehicles. Your end-use is probably different than mine. Let's make a deal: I won't judge how you intend to use your vehicle if you don't judge how I intend to use mine. Sound good?

Local time
Reaction score
Tazzieman said:
Unless you need to accelerate uphill whilst towing , the B58 torque is more than enough. The Grenadier is speed limited.If you want to go fast , buy a Porsche. You'll use heaps less fuel.

Given that I'm in the market for a Grenadier, or something in that category, this would be the only Porsche that would meet our off-road driving needs. However, it doesn't have much in the way of payload, and at close to one million U.S. dollars, its a bit out of my price range.

My guess is that you do not live at 8,500 feet above sea level (2,580 meters), nor do you regularly drive over 11,000 foot passes (3,340 meters). We do. My commute involves over 3,000 feet of elevation change (1,000 meters). Weighing in at 5,840 pounds, the Grenadier's 281 HP doesn't seem sufficient for our on-road needs - though I think it should be fine off-road. It is forced induction, so it will not lose power due to elevation, so I am reserving final judgement until I drive one. But frankly, I expect more power from a $75,000 vehicle - even one that is clearly not staking out turf in the performance SUV market. Before you offer any further vehicle-buying advice, if I wanted a performance SUV I would buy one - there are plenty to choose from.

Here are a handful of vehicles ranked first by horsepower per pound of vehicle weight, and then ranked by torque per pound of vehicle weight. Comparing power by vehicle weight controls for weight (the Power Wagon, for example, has one of the strongest engines, but it is also the heaviest vehicle, so when you control for weight, it ranks quite low). These just happen to be vehicles of a similar category that we have either owned or thought about purchasing. We have also owned sports sedans (Audi RS4, Audi S4) but I don't include those for what should be obvious reasons. Of all the vehicles in this list, only the Toyota Landcruiser is more expensive than the Grenadier. Before anyone rushes to inform me that when you buy a Grenadier you are not purchasing it for its power or blazing speed, but its solid build and design, uhhh, yeah, I'm well-aware. My history driving true off-road vehicles began in the 1980s when I drove Defenders in the Royal Marines. I owned a 1975 Toyota Landcruiser FJ-40, and a 1978 Jeep CJ-7.

Note: the Grenadier will drive better than the numbers indicate, because its power will come in at low rpms, due to the turbo. By contrast, the naturally aspirated V6 engines in this list have to be wrung out to make their full power.

Note: the "4Runner Super Ch" refers to the current generation of Toyota 4Runner with a dealer-installed Magnuson super charger; price for a 2022 Trail Edition, with a rear locker, and a super charger: $50,000

Lastly, I would point out that people have different end-uses for their vehicles. Your end-use is probably different than mine. Let's make a deal: I won't judge how you intend to use your vehicle if you don't judge how I intend to use mine. Sound good?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi stickshifter,

stickshifter said:
1. If you read my post, you will see that I never said I wanted 500 HP. I said that if the 3.0 I6 from Stellantis can make over 500 HP and 475 lb-ft of torque, then one would think that a 3.0 de-tuned for longevity could make in the order of 350 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque. Given that the B58 is forced induction, and won't lose much power at elevation, I would be okay with 325 HP and 350 lb-ft of torque.

I know. This wasn't specifically addressed to you. My remark was of general kind: I was just pondering. And as far as I am concerned, I still do so.

stickshifter said:
2. My guess is that you do not live at 8,500 feet above sea level (2,580 meters), nor do you regularly drive over 11,000 foot passes (3,340 meters).

That's right. But I sometimes fly in that altitude. And from this experience I know, that the impact is not that significant on turbo charged engines.

stickshifter said:

I agree. The turbo makes a big difference, in particular when it comes to altitude.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
That's the same as the new jeep Wranglers. I guess there's some sacrifices to be made in getting these solid axle offroaders through modern safety regs. As you say though, anyone who's bothered about going more than that is in the market for the wrong vehicle!

I had a 6.2L GMC Sierra that had a low limit as well. Read around where guys removed the governor to let it run and they both blew their driveshafts apart.  Turns out those shafts are almost paper thin.  Anyway it’s about balance. To be able to have that long of a shaft and go any faster it’d require a lot more balancing and usually more weight reduction. It’s a big step that the Grenadier and Jeeps don’t need to mess with.

Local time
Reaction score
DaveB said:
I was reading the B57 Diesel review when you posted this

Ha - that's great! Sorry the headline was so big. I copied and pasted, then couldn't find a way to change font size.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wonder how hard it would be to get the X7 series tune for the engine? The specs for the engine show the same torque curve with more power so I’m not 100% sure I buy the “we’ve tuned it for torque”.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more of a bmw detune.  The X7 does 330hp. Two things kill the longevity of an engine, temps and vibration. If the temps are good I don’t see any reason it can’t be tuned for more.  I’m not looking to go 100mph but 80mph can be pretty normal on Texas highways.

Local time
Reaction score
FlyingTexan said:
Wonder how hard it would be to get the X7 series tune for the engine? The specs for the engine show the same torque curve with more power so I’m not 100% sure I buy the “we’ve tuned it for torque”.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was more of a bmw detune.  The X7 does 330hp. Two things kill the longevity of an engine, temps and vibration. If the temps are good I don’t see any reason it can’t be tuned for more.  I’m not looking to go 100mph but 80mph can be pretty normal on Texas highways.

I share your hope for a little more power out of the engine (which I have mentioned previously in this thread - to a fair amount of derision - ha ha). Some people have the mistaken belief that a desire for more power is just about achieving a higher overall speed. That is a very limited conception of how we use power in a vehicle. I have absolutely no desire to go 100 mph in a Grenadier. I don't ever want to swerve, or make some kind of defensive maneuver at 100 mph in a Grenadier, nor do I want a speeding ticket for driving at that speed. Even on I-80 in Wyoming, the max speed is 80 mph; 20 mph over that nets you a hefty fine and points off your license. The max speed anywhere in my home state of Colorado, is 75 mph.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
Yep website in the us is down for maintenance.   It's happening!!????

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We've obviously all bundled the site at the same time and crashed it ! ??

Local time
Reaction score
A lot more accessories than I was expecting! Anyone know anything about the roof rack? I suppose if you want a roof rack soon, you should order it from Ineos, since the aftermarket might take a little time (unless Ineos has been collaborating with aftermarket companies, and providing them with specs).

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
stickshifter said:
A lot more accessories than I was expecting! Anyone know anything about the roof rack? I suppose if you want a roof rack soon, you should order it from Ineos, since the aftermarket might take a little time (unless Ineos has been collaborating with aftermarket companies, and providing them with specs).

Its a Rhino rack. Best factory fitted rack I've ever seen equipped to a new car by manufacturer. !00% being specced on mine! Being full length though it makes the safari windows a bit pointless

Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
Its a Rhino rack. Best factory fitted rack I've ever seen equipped to a new car by manufacturer. !00% being specced on mine! Being full length though it makes the safari windows a bit pointless

Thank you!

I'll be getting the roof rack, but not the safari windows. It seems like all sunroofs / moonroofs (or whatever we call them) eventually leak. Do the safari windows have a shade? If not, the constant sun through the ceiling (even if the window is tinted) can get annoying (I used to have to wear a hat inside my old truck to keep the sun out of my eyes). Also, I think the safari windows will also contribute to a really hot car when parked in the summer (but I know that this is not a concern in some parts of the world).

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m in the US and can’t spec anything but went through the UK spec sheet. Getting up there in price pretty quickly. $90k is no joke

Back
Top Bottom