The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Strange grinding noise from the drivetrain + solution

IG0001

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
Same problem here and getting worse. Dealer said maybe a rock stuck!! So if a rock why could he not see it?

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this. I have the vibration at idle and between 1700-1800 rpm. What is it? I’ve fixed all the heat shields but it still very rough around 64 to 65 mph particularly going up hill or under load.
Mine also has a very noticeable drivetrain vibration around 2k rpms in any gear and sometimes at idle, especially when the AC is on. I've been shifting into 7th for highway driving and it immediately eliminates the vibration at the cost of fuel economy. I've checked my heat shields as well and found no issues.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this. I have the vibration at idle and between 1700-1800 rpm. What is it? I’ve fixed all the heat shields but it still very rough around 64 to 65 mph particularly going up hill or under load.
Have you checked your Transfer box for leaks?

Saschi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:23 PM
Reaction score
I had a noise after the transfer box was exchanged due to a product recall. As they said, that cannot come from the new transfer box, my grenadier remained 11 (!) weeks at the dealer. They changed the front axle after they found metal particles in the axle drive. When I then got my Grenadier finally back, the noise was still there. They then started further search but did not come to a conclusion. In fact, the noise then was gone. However, my dealer said that noises do not just disappear and continued the search for the source of the noise. Then the dealer checked the oil in the transfer box. It was grey. Plus, they found out, that fat is pressed through the gearbox mounting. That fat would probably kill the noise. They asked INEOS to exchange the transfer box again. No answer so far from INEOS. `My Grenadier has to remain at the dealer in the meantime.
One word to the custumer service. I contacted them with clear words with my email signature that indicates that I am an attorney. In a poorly by a machine translated reply after three weeks, they just told me that they are very sorry for the inconvenience all that may have caused and that this matter is now transferred to the proper department. Thank you so much INEOS!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:23 PM
Reaction score
I had a noise after the transfer box was exchanged due to a product recall. As they said, that cannot come from the new transfer box, my grenadier remained 11 (!) weeks at the dealer. They changed the front axle after they found metal particles in the axle drive. When I then got my Grenadier finally back, the noise was still there. They then started further search but did not come to a conclusion. In fact, the noise then was gone. However, my dealer said that noises do not just disappear and continued the search for the source of the noise. Then the dealer checked the oil in the transfer box. It was grey. Plus, they found out, that fat is pressed through the gearbox mounting. That fat would probably kill the noise. They asked INEOS to exchange the transfer box again. No answer so far from INEOS. `My Grenadier has to remain at the dealer in the meantime.
One word to the custumer service. I contacted them with clear words with my email signature that indicates that I am an attorney. In a poorly by a machine translated reply after three weeks, they just told me that they are very sorry for the inconvenience all that may have caused and that this matter is now transferred to the proper department. Thank you so much INEOS!
Mine too I seem to remember appeared after the transfer box changed. I don’t know why they changed it but made it worse.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you checked your Transfer box for leaks?
Yes. No sign of any oil leaks. But I did have a new transfer box under the service recall which seem to made it worse. It drives rough at around 64mph (1800 rpm) especially up hill. The vibration makes the heat shield vibrate. I cannot accept this is normal. I do wonder if it’s the transfer box or drive shaft angle. It vibrates even at idle enough to make the glove box area rattle like an old bus. I also find it difficult to engage low range and high range (after putting in neutral). Need to give it very good push but sometimes it fails and make a horrid grinding noise.

Saschi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:23 PM
Reaction score

New development: my dealer called yesterday. It is not the transferbox but the drive shaft. Aha... Let's see, what happens next!

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Mine also has a very noticeable drivetrain vibration around 2k rpms in any gear and sometimes at idle, especially when the AC is on. I've been shifting into 7th for highway driving and it immediately eliminates the vibration at the cost of fuel economy. I've checked my heat shields as well and found no issues.
Mine vibrates and dealer said they all do. My front yoke seal leaking already from the vibration. If oil can get out, guess water and dirt can get in? Is that how it work? LOL I don't think Ineos or dealer cares. So much for Built for Purpose. At least the speed alert clicking keeps working. :)

offroadpharm

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Just experienced this after 26 mile 4x4 excursion. Trying to figure out how to secure the bowmen line away from drive shaft. Zip tie is failing and the line has a major wear spot.IMG_1651.jpegIMG_1650.jpegIMG_1652.jpegIMG_1654.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
This is pretty useful stuff for making temporary supports. Use a split ~3 cm hose to prevent the support chafing the cable.

MON-Slotted-Banding.jpg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just experienced this after 26 mile 4x4 excursion. Trying to figure out how to secure the bowmen line away from drive shaft. Zip tie is failing and the line has a major wear spot.View attachment 7861487View attachment 7861488View attachment 7861489View attachment 7861490
Welcome to the club. I thought I Ineos would have sorted this by now.😡 Ineos know it’s an issue and it’s Pretty basic stuff to secure a Bowden cable. How many people has this happened to including myself twice , the first time getting stick in low range with centre diff locked. I find this quite annoying that people are still having this issue this far along the production stage. 🤬

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That little factory zip-tie-clip is useless. The dealer replaced mine and it had already popped by the time I got home. The Tech told me he left my zip-ties and rubber tubing in place (for obvious reasons). I think I will pull the heat shielding and finding a good secure method to hold these cables up and out of the way.

Last edited:

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Have you had any solution to you issue here?

I have the same - between 1700 and 1900 rpm there is horrid vibration though the vehicle but only under load - you back off and it goes away. Unfortunately, in top gear, this sits near 100 kph where you cruise at so is a constant annoyance. happens in any gear.

I recently had the transfer case replace and I believe it is worse after replacement. I need to do more testing in low range to see if the vibration changes.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you had any solution to you issue here?

I have the same - between 1700 and 1900 rpm there is horrid vibration though the vehicle but only under load - you back off and it goes away. Unfortunately, in top gear, this sits near 100 kph where you cruise at so is a constant annoyance. happens in any gear.

I recently had the transfer case replace and I believe it is worse after replacement. I need to do more testing in low range to see if the vibration changes.
I've managed to reduce it so it's barely noticeable now but you can't 100% eliminate it. I thought it only affected diesel. The solution is to bend all the heat shield around the fuel tank skid plate and around the rear exhaust area. If you use the palm of hand and bang on the fuel tank skid plate it produces a metal clang.

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've managed to reduce it so it's barely noticeable now but you can't 100% eliminate it. I thought it only affected diesel. The solution is to bend all the heat shield around the fuel tank skid plate and around the rear exhaust area. If you use the palm of hand and bang on the fuel tank skid plate it produces a metal clang.
Thanks for that. Was your problem an audible rattle or an actual vibration in the body of the vehicle?

When I get my vibration it actually shakes the Wolf box rear camera to the point I cant make out vehicles behind me.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Was your problem an audible rattle or an actual vibration in the body of the vehicle?

When I get my vibration it actually shakes the Wolf box rear camera to the point I cant make out vehicles behind me.
Metallic clanging resonance noise (it doesn’t shake the car) but only at certain rpm around 1800 rpm (mine was mild). But it’s now gone unless you go looking for it.

If yours shakes the car. Then I would get the wheels rebalanced first.

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Metallic clanging resonance noise (it doesn’t shake the car) but only at certain rpm around 1800 rpm (mine was mild). But it’s now gone unless you go looking for it.

If yours shakes the car. Then I would get the wheels rebalanced first.
Thanks for that but its definitely drive drain vibration.

At 105km - top gear - under any type of load = Vibration
At 105km - top gear - no load (ie pedal off) = No Vibration

If it was outside of the cruise rev rage i would ignore it, but at cruise speed you have a constant drone thats hard to ignore. The load car I had for 6 months had none of this so I have a good yard stick.

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for that but its definitely drive drain vibration.

At 105km - top gear - under any type of load = Vibration
At 105km - top gear - no load (ie pedal off) = No Vibration

If it was outside of the cruise rev rage i would ignore it, but at cruise speed you have a constant drone thats hard to ignore. The load car I had for 6 months had none of this so I have a good yard stick.
I have exact same thing just for the record. Have not looked at the heat shield “modifications” but will do when less mud around!
I was lucky enough to get an Ineos mechanic to drive with me who identified it as coming in around 1800rpm under load. And as you say this is very irritating at 8th gear cruising speed in the diesel. It just doesn’t seem to go away even above this rpm when for example overtaking or going up steep inclines 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom