The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
There a really fat layer of insulation under and beside the footrest that I plan to remove and replace with carpet. Will free up 20-30mm.
Won’t that cause your left foot to get extremely hot?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
An owner being honest about the RHD footrest. Thank youo.

You like the vehicle and that is great news - I hope my wife likes it (had to convince for the cash a few years ago!).
I remember saying that if there was a 'delete' kit at a couple of hundred pounds for the footrest I would likely buy it. That said, the current foot rest position gives me very little trouble. If there was good room to stretch my left leg occasionally I would not even think of changing the footrest.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I remember saying that if there was a 'delete' kit at a couple of hundred pounds for the footrest I would likely buy it. That said, the current foot rest position gives me very little trouble. If there was good room to stretch my left leg occasionally I would not even think of changing the footrest.
The stretch is what I want more than moving the rest... but you can only go towards your body!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last Thursday was a beautiful sunny day and at 05:00 Hrs I set out with a full tank of fuel in my Diesel Powered, Grenadier Station Wagon optioned up with everything bar winches and roof rack. I wanted to give the Grenadier a good shake down having owned it for around six weeks.
My intention was a 700 mile round trip in the same day and I managed this with ease.
My journey took me from my home in Cheshire to Land End in Cornwall and back. The first 40 miles was along the A49 which is an A road full of mainly long, twisty sections. For most of this I was in CC at 55 mph. I am still trying to work out what is apparently so different about the steering. I approach a left hand bend, coax the wheel to the left and on completion of the manoeuvre, let the wheel slip through my hands as the steering straightens. The steering may be subtly slightly more vague than my wife's BMW X3 but not to an extent that I would notice. The car does not appear to role even when pressed which is different to my old Defender.
Once on the motorway I adjusted CC to 75 mph and continued the journey without stopping until joining the A38 duel carriageway some 170 miles later. The motorway journey was smooth and relatively quiet as in, the radio volume required no adjustment. I doubt it was a quiet as an SUV but definitely not an issue.
The journey continued without drama all the way down to Cornwall. At 4 hours behind the wheel I felt I needed to stop and have a stretch as I was beginning to move around a little in the seat. My stop was around 15 mins before completing my 7 hour journey to Lands End.
Following a couple of hours walk and relaxation once there, the journey home provided me with no dread. I decided to push the performance of the vehicle a little more and see how it affected the MPG which was just short of 28 MPG on the journey down. The journey home returned 25.5 MPG which on a vehicle of nearly 3 tonnes and only 1500 miles on the clock wasn't too bad.

The list of thoughts and observations which I noted on the journey were as follows and in no particular order:

Alarms:
Nearside Rear parking sensor anytime I put the car in reverse.
PDC warnings (centre screen only with no audible warning)
Continual 'Bong' on moving forward from stationary,
Power steering warnings, various other warnings that appeared randomly and without any change in performance, steering, feel, etc.

The drive itself:
A completely solid vehicle with no creaks, squeaks or rattles. Very confidence inspiring. Felt like I could take it anywhere and not break down. (completely subjective of course)
Door mirrors could provide a better field of view. (After market versions likely to arise)
Centre arm rest would benefit from being able to slide forward as in many other vehicles
Fuel gauge showed remaining range at 375 for over 100 miles before dropping off to a realistic level
MPG indicated proved accurate when tallied with litres of fuel used over mileage as recorded on gps
Lack of storage space in the cockpit. The only place for everything was drivers side pocket or the very small arm rest stowage. (Not sure how to address this via the aftermarket but happy to live with it)
USB outlets definitely not in the best place. (This can easily be fixed by adding in more suitable locations)
The stowage tray area in front of gear levers is virtually useless. None stick surface doesn't help.
The stowage tray area in front of steering wheel is of no use without modification by way of none slip matt
Car Play and user friendliness of screen is questionable but likely to improve over time and with subsequent software updates
Foot rest was not an issue unless I thought about it. It is difficult to stretch the left leg without passing your foot over the foot break. This is possible but not ideal. Following 700 miles in one day, my left leg, knee, ankle had not suffered. Unfortunately I am afflicted with Osteoarthritis in my lower limbs so was happy to report great comfort levels all round.
Spotted the slight vibration through the drive train that appears at around 1800 rpm. I also felt that a software update on the transmission might improve the responsiveness when pulling away at lights or from a junction. Currently feels like the engine has to rev in order to get motion from standstill.
Aircon worked really well despite the hot day (fan noise can be intrusive as with many vehicles)
Seat comfort perfect for 4 hours without a break
Enjoyed the interior aesthetics. Very pleasing to the eye as is the saddle leather wheel, etc which I was glad I optioned. (another last minute decision)
Cabin noise was not an issue although not as quiet as my wife's BMW X3
Really like the safari windows which for me were a last minute option. Provide a lot of light. Might not be so good in the southern hemisphere but brilliant in the UK
Steering was great over all driving conditions. I really enjoy driving the Grenadier.
Lights at night were superb and as good as anything I have driven.
Lots of compliments anytime I stopped
Whilst navigating the smaller streets of Falmouth and one or two tiny villages I concluded that living with this car in the city may come with a few challenges. Doing a 180 on a mini round a bout is not an option. Three point turns become four / five turns. Parking in small car parks needs some thought.

Overall I am over the moon with the Grenadier. It is a blank canvas on which we can all adjust and modify to suit our various requirements. For me, Ineos have produced a winner at the first attempt. A true successor to the old Defender. Let's hope for a rapid improvement in their customer relations and support services both of which are not yet where they should be.

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last Thursday was a beautiful sunny day and at 05:00 Hrs I set out with a full tank of fuel in my Diesel Powered, Grenadier Station Wagon optioned up with everything bar winches and roof rack. I wanted to give the Grenadier a good shake down having owned it for around six weeks.
My intention was a 700 mile round trip in the same day and I managed this with ease.
My journey took me from my home in Cheshire to Land End in Cornwall and back. The first 40 miles was along the A49 which is an A road full of mainly long, twisty sections. For most of this I was in CC at 55 mph. I am still trying to work out what is apparently so different about the steering. I approach a left hand bend, coax the wheel to the left and on completion of the manoeuvre, let the wheel slip through my hands as the steering straightens. The steering may be subtly slightly more vague than my wife's BMW X3 but not to an extent that I would notice. The car does not appear to role even when pressed which is different to my old Defender.
Once on the motorway I adjusted CC to 75 mph and continued the journey without stopping until joining the A38 duel carriageway some 170 miles later. The motorway journey was smooth and relatively quiet as in, the radio volume required no adjustment. I doubt it was a quiet as an SUV but definitely not an issue.
The journey continued without drama all the way down to Cornwall. At 4 hours behind the wheel I felt I needed to stop and have a stretch as I was beginning to move around a little in the seat. My stop was around 15 mins before completing my 7 hour journey to Lands End.
Following a couple of hours walk and relaxation once there, the journey home provided me with no dread. I decided to push the performance of the vehicle a little more and see how it affected the MPG which was just short of 28 MPG on the journey down. The journey home returned 25.5 MPG which on a vehicle of nearly 3 tonnes and only 1500 miles on the clock wasn't too bad.

The list of thoughts and observations which I noted on the journey were as follows and in no particular order:

Alarms:
Power steering warnings, various other warnings that appeared randomly and without any change in performance, steering, feel, etc.

The drive itself:
A completely solid vehicle with no creaks, squeaks or rattles. Very confidence inspiring. Felt like I could take it anywhere and not break down. (completely subjective of course)
Door mirrors could provide a better field of view. (After market versions likely to arise)
Centre arm rest would benefit from being able to slide forward as in many other vehicles
Fuel gauge showed remaining range at 375 for over 100 miles before dropping off to a realistic level
MPG indicated proved accurate when tallied with litres of fuel used over mileage as recorded on gps
Lack of storage space in the cockpit. The only place for everything was drivers side pocket or the very small arm rest stowage. (Not sure how to address this via the aftermarket but happy to live with it)
USB outlets definitely not in the best place. (This can easily be fixed by adding in more suitable locations)
The stowage tray area in front of gear levers is virtually useless. None stick surface doesn't help.
The stowage tray area in front of steering wheel is of no use without modification by way of none slip matt
Car Play and user friendliness of screen is questionable but likely to improve over time and with subsequent software updates
Foot rest was not an issue unless I thought about it. It is difficult to stretch the left leg without passing your foot over the foot break. This is possible but not ideal. Following 700 miles in one day, my left leg, knee, ankle had not suffered. Unfortunately I am afflicted with Osteoarthritis in my lower limbs so was happy to report great comfort levels all round.
Spotted the slight vibration through the drive train that appears at around 1800 rpm. I also felt that a software update on the transmission might improve the responsiveness when pulling away at lights or from a junction. Currently feels like the engine has to rev in order to get motion from standstill.
Aircon worked really well despite the hot day (fan noise can be intrusive as with many vehicles)
Enjoyed the interior aesthetics. Very pleasing to the eye as is the saddle leather wheel, etc which I was glad I optioned. (another last minute decision)
Really like the safari windows which for me were a last minute option. Provide a lot of light. Might not be so good in the southern hemisphere but brilliant in the UK
Steering was great over all driving conditions. I really enjoy driving the Grenadier.
Whilst navigating the smaller streets of Falmouth and one or two tiny villages I concluded that living with this car in the city may come with a few challenges. Doing a 180 on a mini round a bout is not an option. Three point turns become four / five turns. Parking in small car parks needs some thought.

Overall I am over the moon with the Grenadier. It is a blank canvas on which we can all adjust and modify to suit our various requirements. For me, Ineos have produced a winner at the first attempt. A true successor to the old Defender. Let's hope for a rapid improvement in their customer relations and support services both of which are not yet where they should be.
Pretty much exactly my experience (minus the error messages).

- cabin noise - yes a bit intrusive and I did get bored with this after 3 hours but then you are moving a huge wall through air. Feel like I'm creating a vacuum behind me that might suck in small children.
- no compliments or waves. a few startled looks and people mouthing "WTF is that?" to themselves (though mainly when I went past them at 80) but that's about it.
- reversing camera - never had one before so loving this!
- USB yes a pain. The interior power-on when ignition off button only seems to power the rear passenger USBs and not the stowage box ones.
- Need more interior storage - yes. Kept losing my Twirl chocolate as it flew around the cabin while cornering (all long journeys need a few Twirls)
- Never losing it in a car park - I lost my grey VW Touran in a large Tesco car park for 20 min once.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Alarms:

The drive itself:

@Cheshire cat Thank you for the detailed report. I will follow part of the route soon.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty much exactly my experience (minus the error messages).

- cabin noise - yes a bit intrusive and I did get bored with this after 3 hours but then you are moving a huge wall through air. Feel like I'm creating a vacuum behind me that might suck in small children.
- no compliments or waves. a few startled looks and people mouthing "WTF is that?" to themselves (though mainly when I went past them at 80) but that's about it.
- reversing camera - never had one before so loving this!
- USB yes a pain. The interior power-on when ignition off button only seems to power the rear passenger USBs and not the stowage box ones.
- Need more interior storage - yes. Kept losing my Twirl chocolate as it flew around the cabin while cornering (all long journeys need a few Twirls)
- Never losing it in a car park - I lost my grey VW Touran in a large Tesco car park for 20 min once.
Just edited my incorrect post. It seems only my cigarette lighter is powered via roof switch. I have a USB converter plugged into that fitting.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There a really fat layer of insulation under and beside the footrest that I plan to remove and replace with carpet. Will free up 20-30mm. I am also going to move the accelerator pedal back 20mm so the foot rest, brake and pedal are nearly in line. Will then put the seat further back and have the steering wheel all the way back. I have already tried it and makes a massive difference. Works for me as I’m only 5’8. Might not work for someone taller
Will be very interested to hear how you get on with this modification. Please keep us all posted.

stuart1927

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Alarms:

The drive itself:

Nice overview on the car....cheers! It is incredible that a car as big as the Grenadier has such limited storage space in the cabin. I think this is the only thing that really disappoints....it's a bit of a miss fo ra car with it's intended purpose.

Shale Rider

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier looks brilliant it’s got a few teething problems software wise but that’s to be expected I never thought it would not have any issues as a first generation. It has great road presence the steering that the reviewers have all commented on is a little bit weird to begin with but you soon get used to it and indeed I now like it.

The vehicle is a bit high and is the same height as my old 110 which had a 2’ lift. It definitely needs side steps for normal everyday use.guess what they are not in stock and didn’t come with the vehicle despite being in the spec.

The rear reversing camera is a bit rubbish as the image size is quite small. and the control screen is definitely not easy or intuitive to negotiate around. Phone link works well though making calls. Surprised they didn’t get a user group together to test it first for functionality as accessing some of the features is not easy. It could also do with a more prominent and larger clock

The key design is rubbish as if you look at the fob you can’t see which is lock and unlock as they look the same not an issue really but it’s a simple thing. On the fob the alarm button is too raised so getting it out of your pocket you can easily set it off scaring nearby wives.

There could be more stowage space in the driver area but it takes after the defender on that score!

On the road it’s a pleasure to drive and is simply a defender but better - I love driving it!

Overall someone said it’s one man’s vision (Jim Radcliffes) of what the follow on defender should be rather than a committees design and I can relate to that - for me being of similar age it’s pretty much my vision too - so happy days.

Nick Szkiler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All these Grenadiers that are now on the road and hardly a few words put together describing first impressions. Photographs are all very well but we want to hear how it makes one feel. What is ones impressions compared to recent journalistic reviews. We are hanging on every word but unfortunately, no words are coming through.
5 week old Fieldmaster. 1250 miles now. Overall impression is that it is very solid and heavily built. (I'm a former Landrover Dealer Principal - owned many 110s) Feels substantial - more like a G-Wagon than a landy. We also have a new Defender 110. Defender probably more of a 'lifestyle' driver's car, but lighter built and less room inside. I find it easy to rest my left foot out of the way as I do with all the autos I drive. I don't ever notive the bulge in the floor. Currently 27MPG - improving a little as it loosens up. It's a long way down from this high vehicle so I'm concerened about wearing the side bolster on the seat as I slide out. Getting in using the side step is easier. Some annoying resonance from the metal heat shields, particularly under the rear. This will be sorted on my dealer visit to get a rear door table fitted. Towing 3500KG it is superb and totally competent. Much more rigid than a pickup truck. Quite a good sound system. Still getting used to the functions on the central display. I need to read the manual! Feels like it has been built to last. Very pleased so far. Day 1 video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB_DEa5mIos

Shale Rider

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Nice overview on the car....cheers! It is incredible that a car as big as the Grenadier has such limited storage space in the cabin. I think this is the only thing that really disappoints....it's a bit of a miss fo ra car with it's intended purpose.
Hi Stuart just an observation - if you were born in 1927 you've done well to get in a Grenadier!!!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
5 week old Fieldmaster. 1250 miles now. Overall impression is that it is very solid and heavily built. (I'm a former Landrover Dealer Principal - owned many 110s) Feels substantial - more like a G-Wagon than a landy. We also have a new Defender 110. Defender probably more of a 'lifestyle' driver's car, but lighter built and less room inside. I find it easy to rest my left foot out of the way as I do with all the autos I drive. I don't ever notive the bulge in the floor. Currently 27MPG - improving a little as it loosens up. It's a long way down from this high vehicle so I'm concerened about wearing the side bolster on the seat as I slide out. Getting in using the side step is easier. Some annoying resonance from the metal heat shields, particularly under the rear. This will be sorted on my dealer visit to get a rear door table fitted. Towing 3500KG it is superb and totally competent. Much more rigid than a pickup truck. Quite a good sound system. Still getting used to the functions on the central display. I need to read the manual! Feels like it has been built to last. Very pleased so far. Day 1 video:
You have your own thread... :)

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Alarms:

The drive itself:

Splendid long view. I havent even done 700 miles in the 6 weeks of ownership, but have very similar views of performance , fit and finish. Storage for bits and bobs is my number one feedback to IA plus the inadequate USB location. Capability is without a doubt its best feature, and the interest it attracts is quite staggering.

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score

Nick - I really enjoyed your 1st day video, in particular the size comparison to the new defender. I have a new defender that I will be replacing with the grenadier. On paper the new defender and grenadier seem to be about the same size but your side-by-side video clearly shows the boxier and taller grenadier has much more volume.

Back
Top Bottom