The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
@BillyBunter Thanks also for confirming one of my fears w/the safari windows. I'm still on the fence whether to order these, but if I do I'll definitely be fabricating a shade cloth cover (or somesuch) for them ASAP. Great update and enjoy your new ride, it looks amazing!

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
For those of us across the ocean, we appreciate these first impressions! DG looks great in the sun, please post more pictures and observations as you put more miles on it. Enjoy.

Very similar to my spec....what wheels do you have?
Just the standard Fieldmaster 17" alloys Bridgestone. Only accessories I ordered were steps and cargo net. It came with 4 or 6 of the stowage rail clips.

Reactions: BD1

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For those of us across the ocean, we appreciate these first impressions! DG looks great in the sun, please post more pictures and observations as you put more miles on it. Enjoy.

Very similar to my spec....what wheels do you have?
Just the standard Fieldmaster 17" alloys Bridgestone. Only accessories I ordered were steps and cargo net. It came with 4 or 6 of the stowage rail clips.

For the safari windows - they are great. Where else are you supposed to operate the machine guns from? Halfords (UK) has these shade things for £4 so I may try some:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-16 142555.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-16 142555.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 77
  • shade.jpg
    shade.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 70

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
@BillyBunter Thanks also for confirming one of my fears w/the safari windows. I'm still on the fence whether to order these, but if I do I'll definitely be fabricating a shade cloth cover (or somesuch) for them ASAP. Great update and enjoy your new ride, it looks amazing!
I think it’s depend more on the topic: Dark or light color of the Grenny, we have the safari windows, but white car. We find the even in the sun, the car is not as warm as our old VW Touareg in black. The tinted class is really dark and keep the sun out.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Couple more things
- although it is listed as being much longer than my 2014 Volvo XC60 (over 250mm longer) visually it looks no longer at all - even with the wheel. Strange.
- tinted rear windows pretty good at reducing what you can see in the back but not fully for security. not bad though.
- managed to tune the radio (DAB and FM). Didn't want to work at the dealer but fine at home.
Well done - youre in the Donney Grey Fieldmaster Uk chapter. Mine diesel but only done 400 miles since 10th May.
FYI what you will notice in the next few days is a dull ache each side of your jaw. This is nothing serious just a side effect of an enormous grin.

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Couple more things
- although it is listed as being much longer than my 2014 Volvo XC60 (over 250mm longer) visually it looks no longer at all - even with the wheel. Strange.
- tinted rear windows pretty good at reducing what you can see in the back but not fully for security. not bad though.
- managed to tune the radio (DAB and FM). Didn't want to work at the dealer but fine at home.
Hmmm... probably don't bother getting the luggage net. Too small really. Probably get something better from Halfords.

Update from the 14 year old daughter - "I thought I'd hate it - its quite ugly but its kinda cool. I still think it's one of the dumbest things you have done dad. But it's kinda cool". I'll take that as a win.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So first impressions after only 5 miles (pick up from Endeavour Gerrards Cross Buckinghamshire UK):

Fieldmaster
Petrol
M1
Donny Grey (obviously...)

1. It's somewhat bigger than I remember from the test drive... at first it feels like you are driving an armoured car. F**king huge!
2. After 4 miles it started to only feel large. I don't think I'll be drifting by the end of the weekend but I suspect it will feel much more modest. Maybe.
3. Only error messages (so far) appear on starting and disappear after 3 seconds or less. "Transmission failure" but it's clearly part of the start up test procedure (I hope) as two of my other cars (Volvo and VW) do exactly the same. My mother's Turbo R has had a transmission failure error warning for 30 years.
4. No bings and bongs after 5 second from starting.
5. Couple of people looking at it quizzically as I passed. But there is only one other locally in my town according to my dealer and 3 in a 10 mile radius so still very rare.
6. No obvious rubbing or vibrating heat shields or similar yet. Had a look underneath and seems all good. Haven't yet looked if there are any low hanging wires yet like someone noticed.
7. Rear wheel arch flap things are both the same (so clearly Pierre and Jean-Paul were in sync on that shift) - they are both "out" if you know what I mean. I.e. the tabs are not tucked behind the surround. Checked others on the dealer lot and they were the same.
8. I think I will need some sort of sun shade for the safari roof (like our African friend suggested) as even in England on a 26 degree day it pumps out a lot of heat through the glass.
9. AC works well.
10. Road / wind noise - noticeable but totally what I would expect.
11. Steering - yes somewhat more turns needed but got used to it after 4 miles. Compared to my 1977 Triumph, which is like a 1/4 turn lock to lock, its a little cumbersome but what do you expect!
12. My mates who have been teasing me for 2 years that I would never see a real one (aside from the mug and pint glasses they gave me) can now bow down.
13. My kids seem determined to hate it - I'm going to pick one up from school in a moment just to embarrass her. Time will tell whether it will grow on it when they see something other than the model on the shelf.
14. No side steps yet but apparently available end of the month.
15. Software update - apparently they are expecting it towards the end of the month/3 weeks. Couldn't tell me what it was intended to fix though. I'll probably try to get the steps and software at the same time (famous last words)

I'll report more after I take it to Cornwall and York later this month. View attachment 7816747
My daughter hated my order and accused me of buying a 'Chinese knock-off'. Kept asking what was wrong with my old Defender. Nothing wrong with the old Defender, just the old owner desiring more comfort with the same 'feel'. Now that I have the Grenadier (Donny Grey of course), she is very impressed. Even more so when finding out I had insured her. Any equestrian event and you will no longer see her in a VW Golf.

Attachments

• IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 72

FilipV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the safari windows are the best - they really give more room in the car . i would recommend seeing a car with and without. For me: essential options = safari windows and the reverse camera :)

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I crawled underneath for the first time today and was impressed with how neat and tidy everything was. No loose or dangling cables.

20230616_131155.jpg
Also, as a bet with my other half, I was pleasantly surprised to get the beast in my garage. 1" to spare front and back and top!!

20230616_133539.jpg
20230616_161504.jpg
Mind you, I have to go through the car to get to the other side of the garage 🤣

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I crawled underneath for the first time today and was impressed with how neat and tidy everything was. No loose or dangling cables.

View attachment 7816783
Also, as a bet with my other half, I was pleasantly surprised to get the beast in my garage. 1" to spare front and back and top!!

View attachment 7816784
View attachment 7816786
I have no loose cables on mine either. But definitely can’t fit in my garage as too high.

Local time
Reaction score
the safari windows are the best - they really give more room in the car . i would recommend seeing a car with and without. For me: essential options = safari windows and the reverse camera :)
I did the off-road test in one without, and the one under the demo tent had safaris. I thought both were fine, I was a bit more focused on the leg room I think than the head room. That being said, if I still order one (closest dealer is going to be 4-5 hours, ugh) I'll probably still order the SWs.

Makers52129

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
Wind can blow that away. Just use your fingers and your nose. You can very easily distinguish between engine oil, gearbox oil. water, cooling liquid etc. Simple as that....

AWo
It’s very simple. Condensate water from the AC will dry up. It’s just water. If you have any fluid stain on the drive from a new car have it checked! As far as I am concerned A newer vehicle under manufacturer warranty should not have a leak of any kind!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7816783

View attachment 7816784
View attachment 7816786
That's not a garage.
The floor is spotless
Shelves are so neat and tidy.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am wondering if this cable tie is missing on @emax car. It looks like it is this bundle hanging down in Christian’s video
IMG_4234.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Or is it was a quick fix by the dealer??
Wouldn’t you use a steel cable tie for longevity?
Do manufacturers use cable ties as a matter of course?
I had a crawl under one yesterday and the owner and I couldn't for the life of us find any hanging wires, so I'm assuming it's an tie that hasn't been installed 🤔

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or is it was a quick fix by the dealer??
Wouldn’t you use a steel cable tie for longevity?
Do manufacturers use cable ties as a matter of course?
🤷‍♂️

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On my vehicle, the cables and hoses all look very well routed. Above all, nothing is tied tight or kinked, because that is important.
Those who don't have this can have it corrected at their dealer. It should not be a big deal.IMG_2227.png

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I may have missed that but does anyone, by chance, keep some sort of list to check at takeover? If not, it might make sense to start a thread to just collect all these items.

Back
Top Bottom