The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
First Impressions:

Picked up today, diesel Fieldmaster with the rough pack and some other extras. It’s missing the tow ball and the table. First issue low range won’t engage, but I decided to take it anyway as I’ve paid for it and it’s taxed and insured. They can have it back and fix it when they fit the accessories.

First few miles it was quite loud and the steering was very odd. Took a while to get used to. After 25 miles the engine was already smoother and the cabin was quieter.

I realised when I got home I had been smiling the whole way.

There are loads of reasons not to like this car, it has tons of rough edges but it has the X factor in spades. The radio is average - what you would expect on a £30k hatchback. The infotainment is poor, not intuitive and sparse in functionality. It’s buggy, supposedly I’m doing 7.8l/100 miles or 56mpg. I’d be happy with half that. The footrest is a non issue, I’m 6’4” and big build, the pedal offset is more annoying and that’s also not an issue. You need the sidesteps, it’s a long way up. I use them every time. The headlights are great. No rattles or squeaks.

Bottom line though I already love this car, as long as they fix the issues it’s a long term keeper.
Were you stationary when trying to engage low range or did you try when moving real slow 5mph or less. Or did you try that method as well and that didn’t work also. In my view that should have been picked during PDI check, that is quite a fundamental part of the vehicle. Real pleased you are loving it alll the same 👍🏼

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Were you stationary when trying to engage low range or did you try when moving real slow 5mph or less. Or did you try that method as well and that didn’t work also. In my view that should have been picked during PDI check, that is quite a fundamental part of the vehicle. Real pleased you are loving it alll the same 👍🏼

Dealer couldn’t get it to engage, agree it’s poor, had I been buying a golf I wouldn’t have taken it but I trust they’ll fix it, if not I can just reject it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:41 PM
Reaction score
Dealer couldn’t get it to engage, agree it’s poor, had I been buying a golf I wouldn’t have taken it but I trust they’ll fix it, if not I can just reject it.
As mentioned you need to be moving to engage the diff locks and in neutral going from high to low.
I have seen a lot of reviews and video's where this isn't done and they have trouble.

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Picked up my Trialmaster on Friday from Ineos West London. Thoughts and issues so far....

Absolutely love it!! It does mostly what it said on the tin, with a few minor variations. All in all can't complain, they've done a terrific job of bringing what is essentially a unique offering to market in under 5 years.

The handling is 'of the genre' as it were; it is most certainly not an SUV, and doesn't handle like one. There is the vagueness in the centre as noted by many but it really isn't a problem, nor is the slow steering ratio. In fact, it makes it remarkably easy to manoeuvre what is a large vehicle in confined spaces.

The engine in a honey, and mapped very well for its intended purpose. Obviously still in the running in phase, so haven't given it the full potatoes yet, but there is bags of power and should be just fine for anything I can throw at it.

Seats are very comfortable and the footwell intrusion is a non-issue for me. The rear bench is perhaps more old defender than many may expect, but the children seem happy, and the odd adult who has been in it enjoys the high seating position and view out.

There are a few gremlins that were flagged before handover and should be rectified with the next software update to come in the next couple of weeks I'm told. Erroneous and intermittent warnings for all sorts of things, which go away after driving for a bit. The roll sensor reads 4 degrees to port when on flat ground and the altimeter said I was underwater once I left the dealership. All things that will be sorted soon I'm told.

In my vehicle the interior microphone isn't working, so no calls, but music works so can live with that for a week or so before it goes back in to be sorted.

Bar the minor glitches mentioned, it's a great vehicle; versatile and capable. Well worth the wait, and looking forward to having everything squared away soon to rectify said glitches. Till then, I can run it in and get to grips with it generally.
MM seat covers look 🔥

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did they try putting the auto box back into drive, then back into neutral before trying the low range lever again?

It's actually easier with a manual as you can clutch/declutch with your foot whilst leaving slight pressure on the low range lever. In my old Defender, it needs this technique more times than it doesn't. I don't think anything is wrong, it's just allowing the gears to mesh before sliding into place.

I don't think the Owner's Manual is very expansive on this, just two lines:

"The two-speed transfer case selector has a locking ring that must be pulled upwards before a different position can be selected."

and

"To switch between the 'HIGH' and 'LOW', the vehicle needs to be stationary and the transmission must be in N."

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
Did they try putting the auto box back into drive, then back into neutral before trying the low range lever again?

It's actually easier with a manual as you can clutch/declutch with your foot whilst leaving slight pressure on the low range lever. In my old Defender, it needs this technique more times than it doesn't. I don't think anything is wrong, it's just allowing the gears to mesh before sliding into place.

I don't think the Owner's Manual is very expansive on this, just two lines:

"The two-speed transfer case selector has a locking ring that must be pulled upwards before a different position can be selected."

and

"To switch between the 'HIGH' and 'LOW', the vehicle needs to be stationary and the transmission must be in N."

They forgot to write „you really have to push hard to engage low range!“

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Success today with selecting low range, I put it in drive started rolling, selected neutral then tried moving the lever and was able to get it to shift. Did it a couple of times and it seems to have loosened up. Will take it up a track tomorrow and try all the diff locks.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
First fill 81 ltr diesel @ 430miles = about 24mpg not driven sensibly !!
Should improve when run in and i was going to say driven sensibly but probably not.

Better than I expected, is your trip computer working, mine is still showing 7.9l/100mi after about 100 miles which makes no sense. I’ve never seen litres per 100 miles, only litres per 100km. Even if it’s 7.9 per 100km that’s 36 mpg!

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Any vibration issues? Are you a happy chappy?

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It was very harsh for the first few miles - loosened up quickly and now is fine but when I managed to get low range there was some vibration. I think it just needs running in. I do therefore think a 1000 mile oil and filter change if you’re keeping forever and maybe even a transmission oil change after a couple of thousand miles.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Better than I expected, is your trip computer working, mine is still showing 7.9l/100mi after about 100 miles which makes no sense. I’ve never seen litres per 100 miles, only litres per 100km. Even if it’s 7.9 per 100km that’s 36 mpg!
Don't really use the trip computer just worry about the range, the odometer read 20 miles when i picked it up, filled up at the first service station i passed and have driven it with probably tooooo many traffic light drag races, seeing how it rolls on/kick down for overtaking and a bit of low range muddy stuff on farm tracks.
The fuel gauge goes amber at about 70 miles red at about 50 miles then stayed red but no range at about 40 miles at this point thought best to fill up.
Gwynne,i can honestly say i have had no vibrations (i feel a song coming on) in any rev range.

The footrest/hump is not a problem either and the headlights on high beam at night are bloody marvellous.
Defiantly a keeper

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:41 PM
Reaction score
I can see them having a re-think on the cables. Not only is the cable run huge but there's a reasonably tight 180 degree turn at the far end. There must be a better solution.
Just old school. It is a decent throw though, a bit longer than my previous cruisers, but a lot better than just turning a dial on the dash like my current 200 and hoping it engages.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
I can see them having a re-think on the cables. Not only is the cable run huge but there's a reasonably tight 180 degree turn at the far end. There must be a better solution.
And I will be a good thing to engage low and all diff locks once a month to keep everything mobile!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Took delivery of my station wagon this week. First time driving an Ineos, no test drive. My first thoughts are, it looks huge and it’s a tank. Good road presence on the road. People in the know, middle aged men do a double take, LR defenders drivers all look too. Some young kids think it’s a G class. So very well accepted and people let you out of junctions. Mines Donney grey and doesn’t draw too much attention. I feel like Hobbs in fast and furious driving his truck.

I like the high up seating, like sitting on a bus and the door sill is just right for resting my arm. Excellent visibility all around. Reversing is easy. Easier than my old LR Sport. A rear white light just below the rear reverse camera so super bright for reversing.

The door closes with a thud. I have to actually slam it for the first few day because it wouldn’t shut first time. It getting looser.

The diesel engine is very tight at the moment. When starting off, when you press the accelerator, it’s either very slow or full send. Buts it getting better. I noticed that the engine at idle or slow speed, you can hear it whistling from the engine. Maybe it’s a characteristic but I had a BMW X5 3 litre diesel before and can’t remember this sound.

Negatives, the foot rest is an issue. I can’t rest my foot but because I’m small, I can get used to it. Rear seats are very upright, rear leg room is tight but acceptable because it’s a station wagon not a family wagon. The plastics/buttons on the centre dashboard could have been better, couple of minor squeaks coming from the main screen area.

Noise on the motorway is acceptable not loud at 60 mph. Bit of wind noise at 70 but that’s acceptable because it’s shaped like a brick. High speed driving is good. MPG so far avg 25mpg. High speed is stable.

The return to centre steering, need to get used to but I can feel it improving as it loosens. Cornering for such a large car is surprisingly good, not much roll. The brakes are super, very grabby, I like them.

The seats are very comfy too. The sunroof is amazing, but some rattling when it’s open.

The paintwork is excellent. No orange peel. Wireless car play is excellent, good connection. Music system is decent too. Love the LED headlights and halo accents.

Maybe a grab handle for the drivers side too would be nice. I have to grab the steering wheel to climb up.

I looked under the Grenadier and all looks solid and beefy. Like the way the diff pumpkins are squared off at the bottom.

Overall, it’s an excellent 4x4. Utilitarian designed for purpose. Modern but vintage old school. Good road presence. Very good visibility in front because the front bonnet tapers in. Also there is no speedometer binnacle in front of the driver. Size, I measured it against my old LR sport and it’s actually not as wide but slightly longer.
For the money, it’s good value and it feels like it will last forever. It’s a keeper for me.

Back
Top Bottom