The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side step | available aftersale option

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
I know this isn’t truly practical for true off-roading but would anyone consider a powered side step? https://ampresearch.us.com/
Hi AugusMacG, I just had email contact with Amp Research regarding them supporting the Grenadier.
They stated they are not currently supporting the Grenadier.
Hopefully, they will change their mind once more Grenadier's are on the streets.

Here's some interesting info on the founding of Amp Research, that segues further down into current information about Leitner Designs.

Amp Research was founded by Horst Leitner. He was Born in 1942, in a village close by Salzburg Austria, Leitner was classified as a top-notch off-road motorcycle racer, taking on challenging competitions like the F.I.M. Motocross World-Championships in Europe. This led to four gold medals in the demanding International Six Days Enduro, along with winning the Austrian National Motocross Championships. He was a designer and incredible inventor of many products and held many patents including the Amp Research electric deployable side steps. His electric side steps when deployed have a large width step, which makes it easy to enter lifted and high vehicles. When it goes back up, it goes back up tight to the bottom of the sill, providing lots of ground clearance. I don't believe they are rock sliders when up, however having the high clearance and it being up near the sill provides protection that you would not otherwise have. He sold his company in 2013 and it continues on. The company is based in the USA. Here's some contact info if other forum members would like to reach out.
888-983-2204

The company Rock Slider Engineering makes electric deployable steps too, however at this time they are not supporting the Grenadier. Myself and other forum members have reached out to them. The advantage of their powered step, is that they have an add on rock slider plate that you can buy as an option to add to their powered steps that turns them into rock sliders. They have been extensively tested in Moab Utah. Here's their website - perhaps continued interest from forum members will get them to support the Grenadier.
https://rockslideengineering.com/

On another note, Horst Leitner's son, Bernard Leitner, grew up working along side his dad and help build their first electric steps. He is not with Amp Research anymore and now has his own design and manufacturing company specializing in racks for off-roading. His firm, Leitner Designs, is located in Corona, California. He is a chip off the old block and is carrying on his fathers passion for great design and incredible products and has his own patents too.

I spoke with him yesterday about his racks and he shared with me that he has ordered a Grenadier and is expecting delivery in June 2024. He is already starting to design a rack system for the Grenadier. I encouraged him to join the Grenadier Forum when he is ready. If you look at his current designs for racks for other makes and models, you will quickly see he has a well thought out and incredible robust product. Here's a link to a video that speaks volumes about both his father, Horst Leitner, and about Bernand and his design firm, Leitner Designs. I enjoyed watching it. I have also posted a link to Leitner Designs. Perhaps reach out to him and congratulate him on his Grenadier order and the support he is going to be providing for the Grenadier. DaBull

Bernard Leitner
Leitner Designs
949-395-3049
Video link to info about his father Horst Leitner and Bernard and his design firm.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbvLoCDRAw&t=1s

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
Sidesteps UK steps fitted this afternoon - 15 minute job, bolted straight on and quality seems good. They are supposedly Made in the UK (no doubt with Chinese steel) and can be had at the moment with a decent Black Friday discount. I didn't want steps at first but it is sometimes embarrassing watching people, particularly customers, clamber in and out!

Untitled by Jack O'Brien, on Flickr

P.S. It doesn't always look clean, I promise.
Great image and thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a set!

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It has been at the dealers since early October, but we were waiting to sell one of our existing vehicles.
Now that that's sold, I'm hoping to collect it Friday the 1st of December. 🤞

Reactions: JOB

RyanT

Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
May also be interested in your rock slider/steps, but am in NJ, USA so shipping costs may be high. Please let me know if you have a ballpark on price and shipping to NJ. Thx.
Just sent you a PM

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Should be noted how much of an impact Horst made in the cycling realm as well. Specialized used his patents to dominate the field for years.

Local time
Reaction score
Should be noted how much of an impact Horst made in the cycling realm as well. Specialized used his patents to dominate the field for years.
I was just going to say, in early mountain bike suspension, the Horst-link was ubiquitous and the de-facto suspension platform until others were developed. I think amp research also used to make mountain bikes. Very cool that he has his hand in a few things.

Local time
Reaction score
How does that compare to the factory side step option?
I wish I knew. I sent an inquiry to IA and received this response: "Following up on your request, we have enquired with the necessary team and we don't have this information unfortunately."

I replied: "You don’t have this information? You make the accessory I inquired about. You necessarily source the metal for that accessory, so you absolutely have the requested information. Is IA so dysfunctional that the left hand cannot communicate with the right hand? It certainly does not inspire confidence." That was two weeks ago. No response from IA since.

I understand that collecting technical information can be time-consuming and challenging. If IA doesn't want to make the effort (or spend the necessary resources) to answer technical questions, it shouldn't offer to answer them.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
I wish I knew. I sent an inquiry to IA and received this response: "Following up on your request, we have enquired with the necessary team and we don't have this information unfortunately."

I replied: "You don’t have this information? You make the accessory I inquired about. You necessarily source the metal for that accessory, so you absolutely have the requested information. Is IA so dysfunctional that the left hand cannot communicate with the right hand? It certainly does not inspire confidence." That was two weeks ago. No response from IA since.

I understand that collecting technical information can be time-consuming and challenging. If IA doesn't want to make the effort (or spend the necessary resources) to answer technical questions, it shouldn't offer to answer them.
Does Ineos actually "make" the side steps?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Close to making a decision. Buzz is a little more expensive than LeTech, and is stainless steel. Waiting to hear back from the folks at Lennartz Technik to see what steel alloy they use. I think I prefer the sterile look of the LeTech's a little more, but if the LeTech's aren't stainless I may prefer some "Look at me I'm an overlander!" logos to rust in 5 years.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stainless is a great option IMO. Worth a few extra bucks.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Close to making a decision. Buzz is a little more expensive than LeTech, and is stainless steel. Waiting to hear back from the folks at Lennartz Technik to see what steel alloy they use. I think I prefer the sterile look of the LeTech's a little more, but if the LeTech's aren't stainless I may prefer some "Look at me I'm an overlander!" logos to rust in 5 years.
I can well imagine that you are very well served with LeTech. Here are 2 photos that I took at LeTech's yard in August.

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 91

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can well imagine that you are very well served with LeTech. Here are 2 photos that I took at LeTech's yard in August.
Looks excellent. Crazy part is they're cheaper than Buzz even though the shipping is 675 euros! As above though, like Krabby said, stainless is worth it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks excellent. Crazy part is they're cheaper than Buzz even though the shipping is 675 euros! As above though, like Krabby said, stainless is worth it.
Here is an excerpt from the German description from LeTech: "The anti-slip embossing ensures a secure grip, while rust-free stainless steel mounting points for the high jack and additional protection for the sill area are provided for adventurous rides. The side steps are made of hard-wearing fine-grained steel and are primed and powder-coated to ensure long-lasting corrosion protection and a high-quality appearance, even under demanding conditions."

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Spoilt for choice I would say. All look like they can do the job with ease. Nothing yet makes me think I jumped too early in buying the Buzz product.

Back
Top Bottom