The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sick of waiting

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Apparently the Old Boy Network is what gets Britain moving. All the top jobs go to the ’right‘ people who went to the ‘right’ schools. But… I went to Beverly Grammar School. The same school as Sir Jim Ratcliffe, and yet I have no contract and no delivery date. Something has gone badly wrong.…Maybe we live in some awful meritocracy after all…

Or maybe only private schools count..

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
If my car ( maybe delivered today to the dealer ) would look like that, I would refuse to take it. Even a Series One Land Rover had a better build quality.

it doesn't look good to me either. to pass this off as industrial, rugged, "it's a 4x4" etc, etc. is just an excuse to not do finishing work

Local time
Reaction score
I got some more info today, they are still issuing contracts to reservation holders and have not yet started on the first orders. So in my case the information has changed. I’ve gone from Feb > March > April build to now don't know when build. Which although it sounds bad means that I now know that it won’t be here for the summer. It was worse not knowing what to do.

They can’t tell me how may contracts need to go out before mine does so I don’t know where I am in the queue. I’m not sure how long they held reservations for if reservation holders didn’t order immediately, so its really hard to tell. I placed my order a couple of days after the window opened, but its possible that reservation holders who ordered long after I did will be ahead in the queue.

The whole thing is a kick in the balls after being told I was a feb build but hey ho, it was the not knowing that was the real problem. Now I need to buy a stopgap vehicle… 5 seats, 3.5 ton tow and wont lose much value while I wait….
Any suggestions?

Edit: If anyone else is thinking about cancelling I’d take on your order…
VW Touareg Tdi Generation 2 T3 or T4 [NOT the current T5], or an Anorak 3.0 Tdi [but not the 202 bhp version] though these ride a lot better when empty with 100 kg or so over the back axle.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
it doesn't look good to me either. to pass this off as industrial, rugged, "it's a 4x4" etc, etc. is just an excuse to not do finishing work
I'm genuinely interested but what finishing work would you do?

Are there examples of other auto manufacturers that finish spot welds, even if only in visible locations?

Local time
Reaction score
As a follow-up to my order cancellation, I was refunded the same day I cancelled and received a very nice email from a senior bod apologising for the fact that duff payload info had been given out at certain high level customer events last year.

From a further conversation it's clear I'm not the only one to cancel upon receipt of the contract as it seems the change in N1 expectations [the 1 tonne is still shown as a target in the Commercial Savings section] has come to light in other cases as well.

One day, maybe . . . . .

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Just to mention it again. I think it's been said before. I'M TIRED OF WAITING! It's spring here, everyone wants to get out. My car has been at the dealer for over 2 weeks because they are waiting for PAPERS. It's hair-pulling! And I know what I'm talking about!
I'm going hunting in the morning. It's a public holiday in Germany and the opening of the deer hunt.

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm genuinely interested but what finishing work would you do?

Are there examples of other auto manufacturers that finish spot welds, even if only in visible locations?
In principle, there is nothing wrong with visible spot welds on such a vehicle, but then they should be perfect.
In the present case, the welding robot was probably incorrectly adjusted and not only burned in too deeply, but also pressed dents into the sheet metal. Here you might have had to rework with filler or pewter.
The objection that scratches and dents don't play a role in a 4x4 vehicle I can not accept on a brand new vehicle for 70.000,- € No leasing company will do that either if they get such a vehicle back after the leasing period has expired. Then every scratch costs money.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the present case, the welding robot was probably incorrectly adjusted and not only burned in too deeply, but also pressed dents into the sheet metal.
They look very similar to those on my Defender. The only thing I'd question is that they don't appear to be regularly spaced or in any horizontal or vertical alignment; but that seems to be explained away when you look at the factory photos of the construction technique.

The objection that scratches and dents don't play a role in a 4x4 vehicle I can not accept on a brand new vehicle for 70.000,- € No leasing company will do that either if they get such a vehicle back after the leasing period has expired. Then every scratch costs money.
I'd agree if yours was the only one, or one of a few exceptions and there were others that were perfect; however when they all are identical then it seems it can be explained away as not a fault but a feature.

I don't like saying as such, but the fact must be that your particular vehicle will have no financial impairment/cost associated with it that any other does not have as a result of them all having the same fault/feature. As such it's costed in, so of no consequence other than you have to pull a face every time you walk past it.

Reactions: PBD

Will I like it? - Yep!

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With any vehicle we can always find fault with something - the spot welds at the front would Probably worry me if they were not neat - you are right GM
The Station wagon cost me £59,000 - the 300 horse defender commercial cost me £70k - that had fake plastic checker plate on the wings and a ply wood bit of floor covered in rubber in the rear (Probably designEd by an ex Morgan engineer) It also kept throwing software wobbles.
The original 90 / 110 was slow, noisy, leaky, crap gear box, shit heating etc - these were the ones I owned - at least I don’t have these issues with the grenadier.
My only issue so far is the need to wear baggy underwear as I could end out rupturing a testicle climbing in 😳
it rained earlier - the wipers worked fine and that was while I had my foot comfortably on the rest / hump.
Richard

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They look very similar to those on my Defender. The only thing I'd question is that they don't appear to be regularly spaced or in any horizontal or vertical alignment; but that seems to be explained away when you look at the factory photos of the construction technique.

I'd agree if yours was the only one, or one of a few exceptions and there were others that were perfect; however when they all are identical then it seems it can be explained away as not a fault but a feature.

I don't like saying as such, but the fact must be that your particular vehicle will have no financial impairment/cost associated with it that any other does not have as a result of them all having the same fault/feature. As such it's costed in, so of no consequence other than you have to pull a face every time you walk past it.
They’re clearly a design signature that’s been built in. If you want no spot welds, buy one of the host of other me too vehicles and soft readers.. Personally I think they fit right in are part of the patina.. Built on purpose surely

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to mention it again. I think it's been said before. I'M TIRED OF WAITING! It's spring here, everyone wants to get out. My car has been at the dealer for over 2 weeks because they are waiting for PAPERS. It's hair-pulling! And I know what I'm talking about!
I'm going hunting in the morning. It's a public holiday in Germany and the opening of the deer hunt.
+ 1 in every single word

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or get the rear windows, problem solved

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A very close friend of mine owns a big Ford dealership in my city (I designed his headquarters). Today I was speaking with him about waiting times for Grenadier and he told me that he's very disappointed by Bronco waiting times, similar to the Gren ones. And in front to a good demand for the Bronco, he will get in the next months just one..

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A very close friend of mine owns a big Ford dealership in my city (I designed his headquarters). Today I was speaking with him about waiting times for Grenadier and he told me that he's very disappointed by Bronco waiting times, similar to the Gren ones. And in front to a good demand for the Bronco, he will get in the next months just one..
So it is, maybe with different reasons, everywhere the same. Doesn’t makes us happier but at least we don’t see that everything is better than with IA.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
I think the Bronco is an apples and oranges comparison. The Bronco problem is driven by demand outstripping supply. For the IG, it is something else- the cars sit on lots, and people don’t get delivery. Kind of more like when there were chip shortages keeping delivery from happening.

But the real issue is that we don’t seem to REALLY know what is causing the delays. As far as I know there is no notification on letter head with bullet points as to the exact reasons- or am I wrong? Conversations and phone calls don’t count. Letterhead and bullet points.

It seems that some are being delivered? Saw one on Facebook.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the Bronco is an apples and oranges comparison. The Bronco problem is driven by demand outstripping supply. For the IG, it is something else- the cars sit on lots, and people don’t get delivery. Kind of more like when there were chip shortages keeping delivery from happening.

But the real issue is that we don’t seem to REALLY know what is causing the delays. As far as I know there is no notification on letter head with bullet points as to the exact reasons- or am I wrong? Conversations and phone calls don’t count. Letterhead and bullet points.

It seems that some are being delivered? Saw one on Facebook.
Certainly Bronco and Gren are two different problems, but not everywhere. In Europe, and even more in Italy, the Bronco does not present itself as a very popular product as in the United States, but it is still a niche vehicle. However high the demand may be, proposing deliveries over many months and sending only one specimen to the official dealership is not a great sign. Ford says it still has supply problems. However, I want to emphasize another fact. From initial design to delivery to the customer, the process is long and complex and probably some seemingly marginal aspects end up causing the process to stumble. Let's not forget that we are not dealing with a brand of centuries-old experience, such as Ford or Mercedes Benz, but a brand that is completely new to this sector, which has not tackled the issue as a small artisan atelier but with an important factory and investments, including in the media. , at the first delivery of a rather complex model. The logistics system of a global market is faced with a new customer who, despite what I said above, is a dwarf compared to brands that have always been on the market. The entire logistics system has been in crisis for some time, with costs that have grown enormously. Meeting a customer who constitutes a minimal share of your portfolio is certainly not a priority. If I have to postpone distribution, do I do it with the Volkswagen customer or with Ineos? However, even distributing 1500 cars, under these conditions, is not a trivial matter and Ineos has probably underestimated the problem. My dealership is waiting to receive three Gren, but it's not enough to snap your fingers to get a transport slot. In any case, it doesn't seem to me that any other brand is so willing to tell its own facts. Sometimes long waits for delivery of models have generated an additional desirability, rather than a reason to dissuade desire. The market and the customer are strange animals. Excuses and unreliable justifications have always been part of company policies and up to now Ineos has demonstrated unprecedented transparency, as long as things depended directly on it.

Back
Top Bottom