The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your mods.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Thank you!
The Grenadier's performance is great. The extra weight from the tent hardly makes a difference.

However, the car is fully loaded with many heavy items like a 52L water tank, 2x200AH li-ion batteries, Victron inverter, slide-out kitchen, fridge/freezer etc.
And as a result, the car now hangs slightly backwards. I think it is necessary to replace the standard suspension but I haven't been able to find an aftermarket suspension yet.
I do think the weight of any rooftop tent is significant. I had my kayak on the roof last week and felt the tilting effect of the extra weight while cornering with speed. The boat weighs as much as a heavy tent. In general rooftop tents are way too heavy. Manufacturers should start building lightweight solutions...

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you!
The Grenadier's performance is great. The extra weight from the tent hardly makes a difference.

However, the car is fully loaded with many heavy items like a 52L water tank, 2x200AH li-ion batteries, Victron inverter, slide-out kitchen, fridge/freezer etc.
And as a result, the car now hangs slightly backwards. I think it is necessary to replace the standard suspension but I haven't been able to find an aftermarket suspension yet.
Thanks for the reply!

It would be interesting to know what the all-up weight of the car is, expedition-ready thus, in comparison to the empty one.
The AX27 (Bush Company) tent you have is one of my absolute favourites as well but at 100kg, it is a hefty weight on top.
I found weight to be a real party pooper when off-roading. :confused:

The local IG dealer told me recently that they are likely to bring in an uprated suspension package from Eibach which will raise the car by about 50mm with stiffer springs.
This should enhance the load handling capacity of the car.
The shocks stay the same.

BTW, Ik ben dol op je webpage!

Bmac

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
Which items could live there? The dash is an ideal place to store....hmmm? What would you want to store there? Please help spark my fantasy.
A bit of anti slip works a treat. I glued this to the Ineos matt.

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpeg
    IMG_5435.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5436.jpeg
    IMG_5436.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 165

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

It would be interesting to know what the all-up weight of the car is, expedition-ready thus, in comparison to the empty one.
The AX27 (Bush Company) tent you have is one of my absolute favourites as well but at 100kg, it is a hefty weight on top.

The local IG dealer told me recently that they are likely to bring in an uprated suspension package from Eibach which will raise the car by about 50mm with stiffer springs.

My dealer has installed it already in one of his cars. Looks good. Begs for bigger tires.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
One of the minor, but lovable, quirks of the Grenny is how shrouded in gloom the ingnition is. As soon as the light drops, I find myself squinting through the steering wheel to get the key in the hole. I bought a tiny keyring torch, which helps when it gets very dark, but I wondered if anyone had found a more elegant solution?
Light or dark, I always miss…

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@chrsbe One question, does fit an Apple Airtag fit in the small round compartment below the chewing gum box compartment?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

What does a 100kg tent have that my 52kg one doesn't?
The biggest drawback of a RTT is having to go down the ladder for a pee at 3 a.m..
Guranteed it will stop your wife wanting to use such a tent.
Unless your wife is tough :)
Or you are are a millenial with a small prostate.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What does a 100kg tent have that my 52kg one doesn't?
The biggest drawback of a RTT is having to go down the ladder for a pee at 3 a.m..
Guranteed it will stop your wife wanting to use such a tent.
Unless your wife is tough :)
Or you are are a millenial with a small prostate.
Pee bottle and a "shewee" ...😉

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Still have to put the car on a weighbridge haha.

The best thing you can do is to test a few tents, because ultimately what matters is that you sleep comfortable enough in it and that it is easy to set up.

For me, the 100kg of the AX27 doesn't make much difference. The advantage of this tent over another tent is that it is higher and therefore more comfortable because of the bigger mattress with topper, and that you can leave your blankets, pillows and clothes in without any problems. And you can also easily mount things on it, such as solar panels and sand plates.

Thank you for your tip about the Eibach suspension. Looks like they have a dealer on our route.

Good luck with your search for a suitable tent en dank je compliment!

Last edited:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@chrsbe One question, does fit an Apple Airtag fit in the small round compartment below the chewing gum box compartment?
I have to test it. It is meant for coins. (At least here in europe you still need this ancient round pieces of metal. Especially if you want a shopping trolley infront of a supermarket.)

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got over grabbing the door seal each time I was closing the door. Also rotated the opening handle 90' so it can be seen with door closed and just feels better. Will be trying to incorporate the rubber bump stop at the top of the handle. Using existing mounts is always satisfying.
PXL_20231108_103120135~2.jpg

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
OK, I did a scan of the rubber mat and here is the first 3D-printed prototype for a ram mount base plate. It should go on the dash and replace the rubber pad. The final product will have mounting points for the 9inch RAM mount rail system. 1699606800441.png
PXL_20231110_083401710.jpg
There is one problem to be solved and I need your help there. I have designed the snap hooks that lock the mounting plate to the dashboard so they can be locked with a M4 screw. You snap it in an then thread in the screw which then blocks the hooks and prevents the board from coming loose.
My question now is how reliable the material of the dashboard itself is. Will this hooks wear out the holes in the dash? The dashboard is not made for that kind of loads. Think about what forces a heavy Garmin device on the end of a RAM ball head arm distributes when shaking up the whole system on an offroad course. What is underneath the dash? Maybe there is some structure where this whole thing can be mounted to? Has someone already taken off the board? Has someone photos of whats underneath?
Maybe we can also get wires through the holes.
1699607266460.png
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/show-us-your-mods.12413129/post-1333226196 here you will see how the dash looks underneath the rubber mat.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
Maybe use riv nut inserts?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
I have to test it. It is meant for coins. (At least here in europe you still need this ancient round pieces of metal. Especially if you want a shopping trolley infront of a supermarket.)
Keep coming back to this post as haven’t a clue as to where in the vehicle you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom