The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • No crack

Votes: 50 43.1%

• Total voters

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
@parb thanks for the heads up. I pulled my racing optics film out of the box this morning and unfurled it so that I can get it on tomorrow. That really stinks that it didn’t work. Good luck with the exoshield.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
@parb thanks for the heads up. I pulled my racing optics film out of the box this morning and unfurled it so that I can get it on tomorrow. That really stinks that it didn’t work. Good luck with the exoshield.
Good luck with the install, RobS. Please post some pics after you are done.

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I bought this and had their recommended Installer put it on yesterday. The installer comes heavily recommended by others I know so I think they are competent.
They could not install it right, it wrinkles. The installer is convinced that the material isn't pre-shrunk for the slight radius that exists in our windshield. He called the company and so I will I. I think you're better off waiting until confirmed it works based on my experience.

I needed something for my road trip so I had exoshield installed instead. I'll let you know how it works out
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't ordered yet but that's a bummer. It appears it's jumped up from $229 to $249 too.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
I bought this and had their recommended Installer put it on yesterday. The installer comes heavily recommended by others I know so I think they are competent.
They could not install it right, it wrinkles. The installer is convinced that the material isn't pre-shrunk for the slight radius that exists in our windshield. He called the company and so I will I. I think you're better off waiting until confirmed it works based on my experience.

I needed something for my road trip so I had exoshield installed instead. I'll let you know how it works out
Yes please do share your experience with exo shield. I’m interested in having that installed be a local company. I believe it also comes with a warranty? Have you heard that also?

Local time
Reaction score
I bought the Racing Optics shield and installed it myself this evening. Not super excited, but most likely my inexperience, I couldn’t get the edges to adhere like Jeep install video. I didn’t have a heat gun, but will see how it looks in the morning.

Definitely not easy to keep the glass free of particles in the process.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Tx246 this is exactly what the installers from tint world experienced. They took it off, that said that if the edges wrinkle it will come off quickly. It's just a matter of time according to them. They also said that if it needs to be stretched then you need to apply the heat gun early in the process, nothing in the instructions said that this was needed so they didn't.

The where on the phone with the manufacturer this morning sharing their experiences.

@MurphyMurph I had the installers put on exoshield. Looks really good. Will look better tomorrow According to the installers. I got 2 years of warranty with it. The installers from tint world registered the warranty for me unprompted.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Some of the small particulate stuff on the glass is pretty frustrating to me because I spent a tremendous amount of time cleaning and prepping the windshield. I can’t say that has anything to do with racing optics and all I can recommend is do not do this outside. In hindsight being inside may have reduced some of this.

However, I followed the videos pretty thoroughly and I’m a pretty detail oriented person, the edges were very difficult to get to it, they definitely don’t go down as easy as the Jeep video. Heat gun would definitely have made sense, but I also don’t know how that might distort the product. You can see haziness from the adhesion that in all fairness it says we’ll go away in a couple of days so we will see. But the edges are definitely a bit disappointing because I don’t know how to adhere six months if it’s not really adhering on the edges at day one

Attachments

• IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8306.jpeg
    IMG_8306.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8303.jpeg
    IMG_8303.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8302.jpeg
    IMG_8302.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8300.jpeg
    IMG_8300.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Shroomy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some of the small particulate stuff on the glass is pretty frustrating to me because I spent a tremendous amount of time cleaning and prepping the windshield. I can’t say that has anything to do with racing optics and all I can recommend is do not do this outside. In hindsight being inside may have reduced some of this.

However, I followed the videos pretty thoroughly and I’m a pretty detail oriented person, the edges were very difficult to get to it, they definitely don’t go down as easy as the Jeep video. Heat gun would definitely have made sense, but I also don’t know how that might distort the product. You can see haziness from the adhesion that in all fairness it says we’ll go away in a couple of days so we will see. But the edges are definitely a bit disappointing because I don’t know how to adhere six months if it’s not really adhering on the edges at day one
When I did my Jeep 392 a year ago with the RO I had these same issues but after parking it in the sun for a few day during the summer all of these micro bubbles went away as well as some of the bigger hazy spots. It looks great now with no visible defects.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had none of that with the exoshield. A touch haziness that mostly went away overnight. They say it will be completely gone over the next few days.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For what it's worth my local Tintworld only offers the Racing Optics protection and no longer offers Exoshield due to reported installation issues (not on the Grenadier mind you). They don't offer Exoshield for any vehicle anymore. It seems so easy for these installs to go wrong. I feel like I'm playing a high stakes game of Operation whenever I just put a protective shield on my phone, and I've messed up more than my fair share (dust trapped, bubbles that won't go away, misaligned corners - you name it). So, I'm going the professional install route. My local Tintworld sales guy called Racing Optics and specifically inquired about whether there are any installation issues with the Grenadier offering, whether it is being re-tooled, etc., and they told him everything was good to go and they were doing a soft roll out of the Grenadier product. Of course, it's possible that who he spoke with is not in the loop on the issue reported here, but I don't mind being a guinea pig for a professional install, because if it is messed up, they will do it again on their dime. The install cost (including the product) is, in my opinion, reasonable at $400.

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Loc Nar I put my Racing Optics film on this morning. Like @Tx246 has said, “definitely didn’t go down as easy as the Jeep video”. Side note: The Jeep video is the tutorial on how to install the film for those that don’t know. For $400, I think it’s a fair price to avoid the misery that I went through. The film is cut to nearly perfect size and not a 1/4 smaller like marketed. I squeegeed the he’ll out of mine for almost 45 minutes trying to get all the air bubbles out of it and trying to work the wrinkles out of the edges like @parb mentioned with his installation attempt. I move the car out in the sun hoping that the warm (74 degree) temps would help make the film more malleable. Not sure if it helped in that regard. The downside of having sun on the windscreen is the hazy residue left between the windshield and the film. Looks awful. Hoping that it improves with curing time. IMG_8457.jpegIMG_8456.jpegIMG_8455.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
The other thing that also was a little unexpected on the racing optics. Install was the liquid they give you. In my head, I thought it was going to be far easier to work with. It dries on the glass fairly quickly, which I expected it would be easier to work with for more than a couple of minutes, but that wasn’t the case

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The other thing that also was a little unexpected on the racing optics. Install was the liquid they give you. In my head, I thought it was going to be far easier to work with. It dries on the glass fairly quickly, which I expected it would be easier to work with for more than a couple of minutes, but that wasn’t the case
Exactly. That’s why I’m not sure a heat gun would help. I think it would cause hazing much the same way the sunlight did.

Back
Top Bottom