The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Only stock vehicle to complete the Baja 1000!

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
It is not Rubicon, but considering that many section need low range and either long suspension travel or traction aids, it is a difficult route.
To reiterate what I already mentioned, it took us about 4 hours to cover 40 miles of that route in a RR Classic - and we drove pretty much as fast as we could (and broke one shock in process).

That's a good question. I'd spend some time in Death Valley before hitting the Baja circuit.
I'd buy something I wouldn't mind leaving in Mexico, and have fun.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
A great video, and as he says, the only completely stock vehicle to drive there and complete it. Just not sure I'd want all that dust in my truck! 🫣 It did die the morning after, and so far the cause is not known.

This is why you bought an Ineos!

Watch the video here - Ineos Grenadier Baja 1000

I love the video. When is the Baja 1000 and why do you think he has a chase vehicle? Is that required maybe?

Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
l would genuinely like to see how a standard specification new Defender coped on this event, l wonder if it would make it to the end.

Theoretically it should be able to do it, but would you be able to drive it home afterwards

BInder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The fact a stock Grenny made it the first 100 miles of the Baja 1000 with what the trophy trucks have done to that race should make everyone feel happy about their purchase, let alone roll across the finish line.

BInder

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sheepishly hides and says "not low enough". 🫣 Maybe 35lbs. Hadn't chosen a mobile compressor so was unwilling to go too low.
My tire pressure is lower than that on the road as I’ve done the tire patch test and believe the factory recommendations are way too high.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update on the Grenadier-Sorry with the surgery I have not been online very much. A couple of quick housekeeping items. The NORRA Safari I participated in was not a competitive class, those with Raptors etc went at their own pace and we always brought up the rear as we were not there to destroy the vehicle. Sadly we were backed into which not only damaged the left front bumper but also took out the transfer case cooler and trim around the headlight. After speaking with the dealership late last week they have found a couple things. First the non-start was due to the electronics disabling the fuel pump but they are not sure why at this point and it was 4 days after the accident. Second the transfer case cooler repair was solid but it does appear that some fluid was still leaking which caused the transfer case to throw some codes which they had to clear before they could get it moving. I was monitoring the transfer case temp constantly and at no time did the vehicle indicate overheating but could be a sensor placement issue. At this moment the vehicle is running and driving so they have sorted that with some speculation that the transfer case codes caused the fuel pump issue, but not confirmed.

I knew one rim was bent as you saw in the video and the dealership told me the one on the rear on same side also took a ding. One day I was aired down to 20 pounds but that seemed too low so I ran about 26 every other day. I suspect the rims bent on the day that the pressure was at 20. They didn't mention 4 blown shocks or a demolished steering stabilizer so I will ask them on the next call. Would the shock surprise me, probably not but would expect better. Before it shut down it drove fine on the highway and there was no indication of suspension or steering issues as well as no vibration from wheels being out of balance due to being bent.

Now it is off to the body shop for estimate and then to the insurance company.

The cracked windshield was a gift from a semi that tossed a rock up as we were leaving a town. Other than that it appears that all the issues may well trace back to the accident and the transfer case cooler damage. I will update when I get the final information.

As a side note they told me that one of the radiator overflow tanks (cannot recall which) was very low when they got it but when they pressure tested they showed no signs of leakage or pressure drop. Make sure you check your anti-freeze as the B58 seems to have a reputation for consuming coolant.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
Update on the Grenadier-Sorry with the surgery I have not been online very much. A couple of quick housekeeping items. The NORRA Safari I participated in was not a competitive class, those with Raptors etc went at their own pace and we always brought up the rear as we were not there to destroy the vehicle. Sadly we were backed into which not only damaged the left front bumper but also took out the transfer case cooler and trim around the headlight. After speaking with the dealership late last week they have found a couple things. First the non-start was due to the electronics disabling the fuel pump but they are not sure why at this point and it was 4 days after the accident. Second the transfer case cooler repair was solid but it does appear that some fluid was still leaking which caused the transfer case to throw some codes which they had to clear before they could get it moving. I was monitoring the transfer case temp constantly and at no time did the vehicle indicate overheating but could be a sensor placement issue. At this moment the vehicle is running and driving so they have sorted that with some speculation that the transfer case codes caused the fuel pump issue, but not confirmed.

I knew one rim was bent as you saw in the video and the dealership told me the one on the rear on same side also took a ding. One day I was aired down to 20 pounds but that seemed too low so I ran about 26 every other day. I suspect the rims bent on the day that the pressure was at 20. They didn't mention 4 blown shocks or a demolished steering stabilizer so I will ask them on the next call. Would the shock surprise me, probably not but would expect better. Before it shut down it drove fine on the highway and there was no indication of suspension or steering issues as well as no vibration from wheels being out of balance due to being bent.

The cracked windshield was a gift from a semi that tossed a rock up as we were leaving a town. Other than that it appears that all the issues may well trace back to the accident and the transfer case cooler damage. I will update when I get the final information.

As a side note they told me that one of the radiator overflow tanks (cannot recall which) was very low when they got it but when they pressure tested they showed no signs of leakage or pressure drop. Make sure you check your anti-freeze as the B58 seems to have a reputation for consuming coolant.
Sounds like the issues are getting sorted, which is fantastic news! Hope that your rig gets back on the road sooner rather than later. And hope the insurance covers that body damage.

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
Concur on the PSI. I aired down to 20 and thought I was going to slip a bead. 24 is my minimum on these wheels (factory steelies).

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score

Excluding the accident - amazing.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score

Sadly it seems these days with any new vehicle, electronically dumbed down or not, you need to carry a tech tool to reset error codes as much as you need a 10mm socket. 🤷‍♂️

Do we know if anyone has found a reliable aftermarket one for the grenny yet?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
Sadly it seems these days with any new vehicle, electronically dumbed down or not, you need to carry a tech tool to reset error codes as much as you need a 10mm socket. 🤷‍♂️

Do we know if anyone has found a reliable aftermarket one for the grenny yet?
I've been trying to get an answer out of autel but nothing yet.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

This makes me very happy. It seems, barring accident damage and a couple of new wheels the only negative was the crap state of roads and flying stones. Looking forward to the final debrief, and not all the speculation. If it does indeed turn out to be more or less how you have described, we have an awesome vehicle! Rest and recover and look forward to your further updates.

Back
Top Bottom