The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Only stock vehicle to complete the Baja 1000!

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
I drove a section of Baja 1000 track passing by Mike's Sky Rancho, from Rancho El Coyote Meling to Hwy 3 (~40 miles) in an old Classic - slower by 10x than the racers, yet had two broken Bilstein shocks (one on this section, one on another). What people do on this track is mind-blowing - so kudos for taking a Grenadier to the track, and hope it can be brought back to shape.
I think he would of fared pretty well with a set of remote resi King or Fox shocks. Growing up in San Diego and being part of the desert scene I learned really quickly how far a good pair of shocks designed for high speed trail running will get you. I blew up a set of OME shocks on my 100 Series LC during a 1k mile overland trip that was 90 percent off road. Never ran them again in my vehicles. Good for day trips, but not 12 plus hours a day on the trail at speed.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think he would of fared pretty well with a set of remote resi King or Fox shocks. Growing up in San Diego and being part of the desert scene I learned really quickly how far a good pair of shocks designed for high speed trail running will get you. I blew up a set of OME shocks on my 100 Series LC during a 1k mile overland trip that was 90 percent off road. Never ran them again in my vehicles. Good for day trips, but not 12 plus hours a day on the trail at speed.
Oh I've broken more OME shocks than any others. That, besides them being harsher than JCWhitney-issue Monroes. I am sure he would have fared better with custom shocks - but, at the race speeds, it's a matter of time. And it isn't like you have a choice of driving slower - just like running Rubicon, to a different extent.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oh I've broken more OME shocks than any others. That, besides them being harsher than JCWhitney-issue Monroes. I am sure he would have fared better with custom shocks - but, at the race speeds, it's a matter of time. And it isn't like you have a choice of driving slower - just like running Rubicon, to a different extent.
He mentioned in his video that it was "bucking" on the whoops. Blown out or incorrect shock dampening and spring rates for the speeds travelling will cause that. Those race vehicles undergo hundreds of hours of testing to work out issues like bucking. He also said it was bottoming out all the time. My guess is the shocks were probably finished after day 1. I wonder what experience he had with desert running before the event. Would of been cool if Ineos would of sponsored him and helped with some basic vehicle prep. Depending on the race some mods are allowed within the stock class.

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Reminds me of the G wagon canning stock route debacle where they did the PR trip and all six rigs had the shocks fail. The stock shocks were gonna fail here too, but with race units and hydraulic bump stops he'd have just driven faster and something more serious woulda broken. Beside, the interesting part is seeing how a bone stock truck does, which was better than one would have bet on.

Ineos would have been foolish to get involved.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is speculation from the mechanic I was speaking to. The crack originates from the bottom corner so he thinks it from strain or stress. Who knows really.
Run a pencil down the crack, if it stops you've found where the rock hit the windshield.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Reminds me of the G wagon canning stock route debacle where they did the PR trip and all six rigs had the shocks fail. The stock shocks were gonna fail here too, but with race units and hydraulic bump stops
From memory there were 5 stock civilian Gs , and the ones that failed were driven by foreign drivers who tended to take the wrong driving line as they were unused to RHD vehicles . Well that's the explanation I read somewhere.
There was 1 military spec G wagen ute that didn't break.
I'm not sure anyone in a stock 4wd has completed the CSR with no breakages. It's a bloody long way!

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From memory there were 5 stock civilian Gs , and the ones that failed were driven by foreign drivers who tended to take the wrong driving line as they were unused to RHD vehicles . Well that's the explanation I read somewhere.
I'm not sure anyone in a stock 4wd has completed the CSR with no breakages. It's a bloody long way!
Sounds like a fun test for the Gren!

Reactions: Max

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
Agreed - I recall Ronny Dahl found the shocks on the Grenadier overheated quickly in his off road testing. More fluid would be key.

I would guess that the steering stabilizer was destroyed by impact, not by use. A Fox or King unit would have been equally destroyed. I think a new front bash plate would be in order to protect it from damage. I'd also probably carry a spare (or two) steering stabilizers, knowing how unprotected they are.

I'd stick with the steelies - but perhaps carry more of them. I think I own somewhere in the range of 9 spares at this point.

Agreed 100%. I'm amazed @Ragman completed the 1000 without any support.

I agree - I think a support vehicle with a compliment of spares and fluids would have made all the difference. It sounds like he ALMOST made it through unscathed, and for a solo, unsupported effort - I think he did phenomenal. Obviously the trans is going to be expensive, but the rest of it is to be expected.

You also mentioned:

These windshields crack all the time - I'm on my second windshield since December & it cracked within a week or two of getting it. Are you certain it is from structural stress, or is that speculation?
Don’t forget I was not in a competitive class so don’t compare what I did to a trophy truck!

S52

Local time
Reaction score
Im admittedly not very familiar with the route they take. But based on the video footage posted none of those roads or trails looked so extreme to total a vehicle that badly. I would imagine it was just driven way harder and faster than sensible for a stock vehicle. (there is a section of his video showing 90+mph across a rutted dry lake bed.... 90mph seems sketch enough in a Grenadier on a paved highway!)

I also question the front end damage- seems pretty severe and not commensurate with the explanation of a truck backing into his bumper at a gas station. Looks a lot more like a high speed impact with a rock after bottoming out or something along those lines.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Im admittedly not very familiar with the route they take. But based on the video footage posted none of those roads or trails looked so extreme to total a vehicle that badly. I would imagine it was just driven way harder and faster than sensible for a stock vehicle. (there is a section of his video showing 90+mph across a rutted dry lake bed.... 90mph seems sketch enough in a Grenadier on a paved highway!)

I also question the front end damage- seems pretty severe and not commensurate with the explanation of a truck backing into his bumper at a gas station. Looks a lot more like a high speed impact with a rock after bottoming out or something along those lines.
The front bumper is not a solid rigid unit, it is three piece and very thin. I'm not surprised by the damage at all.

Local time
Reaction score
OEM sachs shock absorbers shit the bed on the miles of washboard, and then they started to shear mounting bolts from slapping at the limits. They had to fly in parts. Did they not consider the washboard an issue, underestimate exactly how many hours of it there really are, drastically overestimate the stock shocks abilities trying to do it with rigs right off the line? all the above?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Did they not consider the washboard an issue, underestimate exactly how many hours of it
3 Things regularly destroy 4x4s. Rocks, corrugations and saltwater.
Plus a million other things.
Know your foe before heading to battle I reckon.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score

I've driven my IG over 90+ miles a few times.
The sweet spot for me was 85-90mph where the steering was pretty stable.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Im admittedly not very familiar with the route they take. But based on the video footage posted none of those roads or trails looked so extreme to total a vehicle that badly.
It is not Rubicon, but considering that many section need low range and either long suspension travel or traction aids, it is a difficult route.
To reiterate what I already mentioned, it took us about 4 hours to cover 40 miles of that route in a RR Classic - and we drove pretty much as fast as we could (and broke one shock in process).
OEM sachs shock absorbers shit the bed on the miles of washboard, and then they started to shear mounting bolts from slapping at the limits. They had to fly in parts. Did they not consider the washboard an issue, underestimate exactly how many hours of it there really are, drastically overestimate the stock shocks abilities trying to do it with rigs right off the line? all the above?
That's a good question. I'd spend some time in Death Valley before hitting the Baja circuit.

Back
Top Bottom