The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Let’s talk CupHolders

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
do you get any plastic taste with that? I've got a camelpak and tastes like I'm chewing plastic
No.

We regularly clean them with the same stuff for cleaning/sanitising home brew kit. I believe you can use the same stuff as for babies bottles.

A tip I picked up online was to store them in a freezer between use. Seems to work.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
We regularly clean them with the same stuff for cleaning/sanitising home brew kit. I believe you can use the same stuff as for babies bottles.
Metabisuphite. Wash it out well. Same with the gin. Otherwise you eventually can't keep the car on the track.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
The "Store them in the Freezer" trick works great for the camelbak-style water bladders; keeps the funkyness at bay between uses.

We've used them in the past - when I'm touring by motorbike I have a Caribee hydration bladder that I bought in Alice Springs nearly 20 years ago that I still always use on the bike - but to clean them we just use unflavoured denture cleaner from the pharmacy. A handful of those in the bladder with water, let it sit overnight, and you've got yourself a clean and food-safe bladder again. Plus, you don't have to find a specialty shop if you are on a trip and need to acquire it.

And staying hydrated is no joke, especially if you are on a risky trip far from civilization:

In healthy young adults, this additional effort typically manifests as fatigue and changes in mood, but in populations with less cognitive reserve, such as the elderly, this can lead to a decline in cognitive performance [2]. Performance on complex cognitive tasks that require high levels of brain power is most likely to decline due to the strain of dehydration. A meta-analysis of 33 studies including a total of 413 participants found that dehydration corresponding to more than a 2% reduction in body mass (e.g. 3 lbs. of fluid loss in a 150 lb. person) was associated with significant impairments on attention, executive function, and motor coordination (Source)

On a long day in the bush, when you are hopping in and out of the vehicle to clear trail or assess ground, where maybe it's high humidity so you're sweating a lot but not actually cooling down, it's fairly easy to end up in a bad way from overexertion/dehydration; even if it's not severe, it can make you more likely to mess up and cause damage/injury.

Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
0CC896F7-DD66-4457-86BE-E06B3AAF4AB7.jpeg

Proper cup holders are one of my favorite features of both my D1 and my previous FJ Cruiser. I hope the IG are decent out of the gate.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7802162

Proper cup holders are one of my favorite features of both my D1 and my previous FJ Cruiser. I hope the IG are decent out of the gate.

Think you are going to be disappointed. They are in short supply (two) and not that big and quite tight to the centre console. Americans certainly won’t get one of those McDonalds gallon bucket things in one that you guys like.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
I thought the IG was a back to basic 4x4. There are a lot of concerns on this forum that are hair splitting. I hope it is durable, reliable and more comfortable than 89 Landcruiser. If so I will smile to grave. 🤪
You are so right. My Toyota Landcruiser has got...:unsure:
...small cup holder: none
...big cup holder: none
...any cup holder: none
...something LIKE a cup holder: none.
...anything (except of the glove compartment), even in the doors, to hold ANYTHING: NONE !!!!
Now you know my problems - I think I will be glad with the INEOS .... :)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You are so right. My Toyota Landcruiser has got...:unsure:
...small cup holder: none
...big cup holder: none
...any cup holder: none
...something LIKE a cup holder: none.
...anything (except of the glove compartment), even in the doors, to hold ANYTHING: NONE !!!!
Now you know my problems - I think I will be glad with the INEOS .... :)
I have 3 cars with no cupholders, the IG two is fine for non Americans, for those who will regularly carry rear seat passengers the lack of any in the rear will be a pain, but my kids are grown and 99% of the time there will only be a dog in the back seat. No doubt if they become popular someone will make and sell something

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have 3 cars with no cupholders, the IG two is fine for non Americans, for those who will regularly carry rear seat passengers the lack of any in the rear will be a pain, but my kids are grown and 99% of the time there will only be a dog in the back seat. No doubt if they become popular someone will make and sell something
and a dog bowl holder too

Local time
Reaction score
I don’t need cup holders to hold a particular cup, just to functionally hold one commercially available I can keep in the truck. I’m completely done with BS like BMW’s plastic pop out “empty beverage can holders”

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t need cup holders to hold a particular cup, just to functionally hold one commercially available I can keep in the truck. I’m completely done with BS like BMW’s plastic pop out “empty beverage can holders”
I feel your pain. You mean the BMW ones that always break and get stuck in the dash board !!

In relation to cup holders, I very rarely need one to hold cups but do use them to drop my phone and vapes in. If it has a couple I am happy.

I know it is a big thing in some markets worldwide where if the vehicle has less than 5 per passenger it is basically a design failure

Local time
Reaction score
I know it doesn't fit a Nalgene. I just want my water bottle to be next to me without it sticking up four inches higher. 🤓
One trick I found with my 1L nalgenes as I aged. They make smaller ones! I’ve stocked my fridge with a dozen of the 16oz size with water or tea that I make my way through throughout the week. I now use the larger ones for milk and such in the fridge and just pour from them into a smaller cup/nalgene.

Local time
Reaction score
I feel your pain. You mean the BMW ones that always break and get stuck in the dash board !!

In relation to cup holders, I very rarely need one to hold cups but do use them to drop my phone and vapes in. If it has a couple I am happy.

I know it is a big thing in some markets worldwide where if the vehicle has less than 5 per passenger it is basically a design failure
Those dash mounted BMW cup holders were absolute trash.

I’ve found with the fridge in back I rarely need more than a small cup or bottle within reach on trips, the rest can stay tucked away in the back. I tuck my phone in the clove box or center storage bin, no need for the distraction while driving.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
I have 4 cup holders in my Suzuki Grand Vitara, two in the middle front, two in the back (and I can reach them as a driver!). Of course I use them, sometimes. But I don't need them! I have also in the front doors some space to put a bottle. never used it.

When I am thirsty, I stop, stretch my legs, make a piss, and take a drink. Drinking while driving isn't a good idea, never (but I sometimes do it).

Anyway, I don't need much liquid as a human while driving, apart from beer and wine ;) while I am not driving :cool:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
For me a lot depends on where I am. I’m Europe and the UK I generally don’t use the cup holders, or very rarely. But in the USA with a 9 hour drive down one freeway to the in laws I stock up and fill everything I can. Including the arm rest fridge. Which I will miss. But I think it depends where you are. At least for me.

Desert driving, well even with ac it’s hot work off-road and I always have water ready close at hand in most of the available spaces for myself and passengers.

Thinking on from what I just wrote, I should probably get a camelback and sling it from the back of the drivers seat. Then I can use the cup holders for wallet and keys ;)

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Protip for Camelback use, wash it with liquid dish soap and rinse thoroughly (at least once more than you think you need) and then dry as best as you can with a clean dish towel / paper towel. I use the bladders with the large opening, so I can get my hand inside. I then loop the tube, wrap it in a clean paper towel and stuff it into the bladder, thereby keeping the sides apart and air to circulate. No funk, no mildew, no bad taste. Also, only use water in the camelback and you'll have far less issues.

Local time
Reaction score
I’d love to get out and stretch my legs but on some of our trips it’s just not feasible. Early January for example I was driving 14 hours from Tennessee to rural Ontario, on the northern end of that when it’s -15 and snowing outside getting out to stretch your legs becomes more of a chore than an exercise in relaxation. By the time you have full winter gear on the toddlers and the adults you mays as well have just stopped for the night lol. If I can lull the littles to sleep the mission immediately becomes drive intil I’m out of fuel or coffee the stop for both and a restroom.

Good cup holders keep the coffee at the ready while driving.

Back
Top Bottom