The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Let’s talk CupHolders

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
Canada has entered the chat. It's all relative. I agree with @AZGrenadier ... in Western North American you grow up understanding that destinations can be very far apart and life's good. You can drive a 1,000 km day (say, Vancouver to Calgary) happily and safely while not stopping every two hours. Water, good coffee, music, passenger (or not -- up to you), and a decent vehicle ... and it can be a pleasure to live here and have these opportunities. (500 ml of piping hot coffee at a time in a Zojirushi mug is plenty for me, alternating with sips of water and my brain and body seem to enjoy it.)

That's 1,000 km on pavement, mind you. On dirt or worse, yeah, more stops are mandatory. That's fatiguing. We used to be able to string together a cross-province trip avoiding pavement as much as possible ... it was like a trip across a different planet. But BC's Forest Service Roads seem to be gated up more and more often by their industrial users. Or else maybe I just don't know the coolest dirt routes anymore. Need to research a bit before the Grenadier arrives.

Anyways, cup holder count aside, the pedigree and reviews of the Grenadier's seats seem promising for long days!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Canada has entered the chat. It's all relative. I agree with @AZGrenadier ... in Western North American you grow up understanding that destinations can be very far apart and life's good. You can drive a 1,000 km day (say, Vancouver to Calgary) happily and safely while not stopping every two hours. Water, good coffee, music, passenger (or not -- up to you), and a decent vehicle ... and it can be a pleasure to live here and have these opportunities. (500 ml of piping hot coffee at a time in a Zojirushi mug is plenty for me, alternating with sips of water and my brain and body seem to enjoy it.)

That's 1,000 km on pavement, mind you. On dirt or worse, yeah, more stops are mandatory. That's fatiguing. We used to be able to string together a cross-province trip avoiding pavement as much as possible ... it was like a trip across a different planet. But BC's Forest Service Roads seem to be gated up more and more often by their industrial users. Or else maybe I just don't know the coolest dirt routes anymore. Need to research a bit before the Grenadier arrives.

Anyways, cup holder count aside, the pedigree and reviews of the Grenadier's seats seem promising for long days!
Easy here to cover 1,000kms in a day as well
I am driving 400kms tomorrow morning and then 400kms back after lunch.
I would need half a kilogram of coffee grounds to make 500ml of coffee.
I was in Vaasa Finland a few years ago and I asked if they had any coffee.
The woman pointed at a large jug on the table and said that is coffee.
Didn't taste like coffee to me.
She then said aaah I understand, and took me to a drip filter coffee machine.
That was so weak I could read a book through it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Easy here to cover 1,000kms in a day as well
I am driving 400kms tomorrow morning and then 400kms back after lunch.
I would need half a kilogram of coffee grounds to make 500ml of coffee.
I was in Vaasa Finland a few years ago and I asked if they had any coffee.
The woman pointed at a large jug on the table and said that is coffee.
Didn't taste like coffee to me.
She then said aaah I understand, and took me to a drip filter coffee machine.
That was so weak I could read a book through it.
I drive a 1000kms in a day a number of times a year. And still stop to take a short break or change drivers every 2 hours. And my coffee is usually about 200mls, or a 250ml Coke Zero

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
I normally have got a big bottle of water in the car which I use when I need it. If I get tired I stop for a fresh coffee. That provides me with some fresh air, some movement and some coffeein. If I am really tired I take a 15 minute power nap. That is better than a coffee in my opinion.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Difficult to me, my hobby is a bit of barrista, owning a portafilter from Ascaso permitted for professional use. .. Coffee is nearly some religion. Only thing what I would do if in the middle of nowhere is a french press, rather coarse ground coffee and Water not boiling but between 90 and 94 Celsius, 12-15g coffee per cup, min 70g coffee per litre and 4 minutes before push down.

But again nothing compared to a proper portafilter and a grinder like an Eureka.. But there is some 3KW and 230V required .. an Inverter and carrying all this somewhere in the African bush is rather decadent luxury.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@holdmybeer A double shot espresso uses 15-20 grams of ground coffee beans to make 30ml of coffee.
500 ml of coffee is 16.67 times that
So that is around 330 grams of coffee
Not quite the 500 grams I said
Either way I would be dead from a heart attack before i finished it.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only thing what I would do if in the middle of nowhere is a french press, rather coarse ground coffee and Water not boiling but between 90 and 94 Celsius, 12-15g coffee per cup, min 70g coffee per litre and 4 minutes before push down.
:coffee: (y) When roadtripping, I'm a big fan of Hario pourover apparatus. Compact, hard to break, delicious results. 95+ degree water, about 36 g per 500 ml of output. Aeropress also good for travel, similar input params and about 1/3rd the output so dilute to taste. And the best hand travel grinder I've found is the Commandante (Bavarian, I think). Terrific.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@holdmybeer A double shot espresso uses 15-20 grams of ground coffee beans to make 30ml of coffee.

Fair enough. Context is everything. I didn't you you were talking about espresso. Sure, I'd start with 1:2 for espresso, so when you said 1:1 ... yikes! Now I understand.

I brew strong pourover coffee (Chemex or Hario) and a ratio in that ballpark would be awful.

And at the other end of the spectrum, a delicous and strong cold brew can be made at 1:8 or even less. Slow extraction. A very different beast.

There's no wrong formula to make coffee as long as you're enjoying it!!!

A starting ballpark for those who want to try other brew methods: https://voltagecoffee.com/coffee-ratios

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Fair enough. Context is everything. I didn't you you were talking about espresso. Sure, I'd start with 1:2 for espresso, so when you said 1:1 ... yikes! Now I understand.

I brew strong pourover coffee (Chemex or Hario) and a ratio in that ballpark would be awful.

And at the other end of the spectrum, a delicous and strong cold brew can be made at 1:8 or even less. Slow extraction. A very different beast.

There's no wrong formula to make coffee as long as you're enjoying it!!!

A starting ballpark for those who want to try other brew methods: https://voltagecoffee.com/coffee-ratios
On hot days I will make a 250ml iced coffee
Which is a double shot of coffee in 250ml hot water poured over half a glass of ground ice.
Much weaker but very refreshing.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
500 ml of coffee is 16.67 times that
So that is around 330 grams of coffee
Not quite the 500 grams I said
Either way I would be dead from a heart attack before i finished it.
You re right. but some remark.

The italian barrista association tells a standard espresso is somewhat 7g per shot. 7g per Espresso, extraction of 25ml water (89-95 Celsiusgrades) in 25 sec - this means a ratio water:coffee 3.6 :1

That is little crema, and of course economic reason - each gram coffee not used allow more money to be kept in the purse. and perhaps motivate a customer to get a double shot immediately.
You could also use ESE pads. The ESE pad (Easy Serving Espresso) is according to Italian standard and contains 7g of ground coffee in a compostable filter paper.

The big roasters like in Germany - roast the coffee in hot air at 600C in 60- 90 seconds and the flavour is artificial.
Little roasting company use a drum roaster, gas powered and not exceed 200 C need up to half an hour.
This means easy 25 Euros per Kilo roasted organic and fair traded coffee with natural flavour.
The "stuff" need to be stored cool and out of sunlight.

Btw I told this morning my mom about the coffee machine built in a beetle.. - she is 89, but she mentioned my dad (before he became self employed and had his own garage) was the master and head of the repairteam in a large Volkswagen & Porsche garage called Kahrmann in Fulda. - That garage still exists but has now a different name.

My mother told me my dad and his team fitted a few coffee machines in vehicles.. later on - Mostly for taxi purpose and also in Mercedes Benz /8 W115 types.

If you go with some more coffee fans and that is likely the ration I use at home with our Ascaso Steel Duo PID
12.5grams coffee per single shot - 2: 1 instead or more. 25ml / 25 sec extraction time (I go for 14g coffee per single shot)

Thick crema.. and on a proper mixture of 80% arabica and 20% robusta ultra finde ground - powder like and tamped you get an espresso that has a crema initally half an inch thick in a warm espresso cup or glass ..it will get lower then but stay at least long enough to hold sugar for a while but seriously a good espresso does not need any. (and if milk gets textured by steam - you could do latte art.. I am not very good at it.. sometimes I manage to picture a heart or a rose in the cappuccino.
To do this properly a barrista must do plenty numbers of cappuccino a day. I am an amateur, but at least I know what a proper coffee has to taste.

At the end, if I go with Grenadier in the middle of nowhere and have a coffee - I go likely with a french press or ESE machine. There are a few decent ones on the market and run on 12V and proper tested for car use. None of this is like a proper espresso machine - but these thingies are small enough to fit in a vehicle. Still you need proper water with low content of dissolved limestone.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You re right. but some remark.

The italian barrista association tells a standard espresso is somewhat 7g per shot. 7g per Espresso, extraction of 25ml water (89-95 Celsiusgrades) in 25 sec - this means a ratio water:coffee 3.6 :1

That is little crema, and of course economic reason - each gram coffee not used allow more money to be kept in the purse. and perhaps motivate a customer to get a double shot immediately.
You could also use ESE pads. The ESE pad (Easy Serving Espresso) is according to Italian standard and contains 7g of ground coffee in a compostable filter paper.

The big roasters like in Germany - roast the coffee in hot air at 600C in 60- 90 seconds and the flavour is artificial.
Little roasting company use a drum roaster, gas powered and not exceed 200 C need up to half an hour.
This means easy 25 Euros per Kilo roasted organic and fair traded coffee with natural flavour.
The "stuff" need to be stored cool and out of sunlight.

Btw I told this morning my mom about the coffee machine built in a beetle.. - she is 89, but she mentioned my dad (before he became self employed and had his own garage) was the master and head of the repairteam in a large Volkswagen & Porsche garage called Kahrmann in Fulda. - That garage still exists but has now a different name.

My mother told me my dad and his team fitted a few coffee machines in vehicles.. later on - Mostly for taxi purpose and also in Mercedes Benz /8 W115 types.

If you go with some more coffee fans and that is likely the ration I use at home with our Ascaso Steel Duo PID
12.5grams coffee per single shot - 2: 1 instead or more. 25ml / 25 sec extraction time (I go for 14g coffee per single shot)

Thick crema.. and on a proper mixture of 80% arabica and 20% robusta ultra finde ground - powder like and tamped you get an espresso that has a crema initally half an inch thick in a warm espresso cup or glass ..it will get lower then but stay at least long enough to hold sugar for a while but seriously a good espresso does not need any. (and if milk gets textured by steam - you could do latte art.. I am not very good at it.. sometimes I manage to picture a heart or a rose in the cappuccino.
To do this properly a barrista must do plenty numbers of cappuccino a day. I am an amateur, but at least I know what a proper coffee has to taste.

At the end, if I go with Grenadier in the middle of nowhere and have a coffee - I go likely with a french press or ESE machine. There are a few decent ones on the market and run on 12V and proper tested for car use. None of this is like a proper espresso machine - but these thingies are small enough to fit in a vehicle. Still you need proper water with low content of dissolved limestone.
There are few pleasures in life better than the first morning espresso.
It's 6:30am and here she is
1691613251156.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I drink my coffee like Chuck Norris.

Black and without water.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
man, we sure do have some coffee nerds here!!! Seriously though, back to topic. I don’t need a huge cupholder for coffee, I would rather my hydro flask isn’t rolling around on the floor. I would imagine someone will make a larger cup holder that screws in and doesn’t require some hokey adapter.

24oz of expresso would kill most people I think. But 3shots mixed with some hot water over ice so so damn good when it is hot out.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I was working, I'd drink a cup of coffee on the way to work, a 1.5 hour / 75 mile / 121 km commute each way. When I got to work, I'd refill my cup and go to muster, figure out my shift assignment and head out on patrol. Sometime through the night, I'd refill my cup again, and possibly top off at the end of the shift for the ride home.

My cup:
20230809_174043.jpg
Yes, that is 3-4 full Yeti tumblers of coffee each and every night, for years.

30ml? Ha!

"...water, like out the toilet?" - Idiocracy

Water causes rust. I've seen it!

Makers52129

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Real men microwave a mug of tap water and just throw in a spoonful of instant coffee and hit the road! None of that cream and sugar nonsense either.

Back
Top Bottom