The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hope to know Transfer Case directions

Grenadian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Hello? I am a Grenadier beginner.
I want to use the center diff lock. but I don't know the direction to move the selector of the transfer case.
Please tell me the five directions, starting from normal, high, high lock, low, and low lock.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• transfer case.png
    transfer case.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 19

Walter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused—are you driving left-hand or right-hand? The photo in your first post looks like a right-hand drive Grenadier, but the one in your second post shows left-hand drive.
Anyway, you can’t switch directly from H/L to L/L. You need to be in Low Range mode first to activate L/L. The selector doesn’t move in a circular pattern.
IMG_5698.jpg

Correction: You can switch directly between H/L and L/L. The procedure is the same as going from H to L—come to a complete stop and shift to Neutral
IMG_5698.jpg

Last edited:

Snipewench

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
Normally, the transfer case lever will be in the "H" position, which means the transfer case is in High unlocked.

If you lift the spring latch under the knob up towards the knob, you will unlock the transfer case lever, and can now move the lever to either the "L" position, or the "H" Lock position.

If you move it to the "L" position (so pull the lever straight down), the transfer case will be in Low Unlocked. If you move the lever horizontally, you'll set the transfer case to the High Locked position.

In either of these two positions, you can then move the lever to the "L" Lock position, which means the transfer case will be Low Locked.

The "Lock" word means the transfer case is in the locked position (either High Locked or Low Locked) - it will spin the driveshaft to the rear diff, and the driveshaft to the front diff.

In order to lock the rear diff, you need to set the vehicle into Offroad Mode via the offroad switch, and then Rear Diff Lock switch, both on the upper panel. Until you do those switches, the diffs will remain unlocked. There are some excellent videos on Youtube by Robert Pepper (L2SFBC) regarding 4WD diff locking concepts and how they affect vehicle traction.

Snipewench

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One example of the use of High Locked is for engine braking on downhill stretches of track. I did a trip down the Bridle Track here in Australia, and some sections of the track are steep downhill, so I set the vehicle to Offroad Mode, and engaged High Locked. The result of this was not requiring much brake pedal, effectively just idling the vehicle down the hill slowly slowly.

Grenadian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused—are you driving left-hand or right-hand? The photo in your first post looks like a right-hand drive Grenadier, but the one in your second post shows left-hand drive.
Anyway, you can’t switch directly from H/L to L/L. You need to be in Low Range mode first to activate L/L. The selector doesn’t move in a circular pattern.
View attachment 7875303
Wow! Your pictures and descriptions are perfect. In Korea, the driver's seat is on the left. The pictures I attached are screenshots from the user manual. Thank you very much.

Grenadian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Normally, the transfer case lever will be in the "H" position, which means the transfer case is in High unlocked.

If you lift the spring latch under the knob up towards the knob, you will unlock the transfer case lever, and can now move the lever to either the "L" position, or the "H" Lock position.

If you move it to the "L" position (so pull the lever straight down), the transfer case will be in Low Unlocked. If you move the lever horizontally, you'll set the transfer case to the High Locked position.

In either of these two positions, you can then move the lever to the "L" Lock position, which means the transfer case will be Low Locked.

The "Lock" word means the transfer case is in the locked position (either High Locked or Low Locked) - it will spin the driveshaft to the rear diff, and the driveshaft to the front diff.

In order to lock the rear diff, you need to set the vehicle into Offroad Mode via the offroad switch, and then Rear Diff Lock switch, both on the upper panel. Until you do those switches, the diffs will remain unlocked. There are some excellent videos on Youtube by Robert Pepper (L2SFBC) regarding 4WD diff locking concepts and how they affect vehicle

Hello, very kind explanation. In Korea, I have to operate the lever with my right hand on the left-hand drive seat. However, the picture in the Korean manual I had was reversed, so it was hard to understand. Now I understand. I received the car on October 23rd. Thank you for your reply.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

In order to lock the rear diff, you need to set the vehicle into Offroad Mode via the offroad switch, and then Rear Diff Lock switch, both on the upper panel. Until you do those switches, the diffs will remain unlocked. There are some excellent videos on Youtube by Robert Pepper (L2SFBC) regarding 4WD diff locking concepts and how they affect vehicle traction.
Well done for trying to explain this, and especially for recommending Robert Pepper's excellent videos.

A couple of corrections …

The word “Lock” means that the Centre Diff is locked. The front and rear driveshafts are always connected to the transfer case, but when the Centre Diff is locked the power is evenly split front to rear. As you would have seen in Robert Pepper's videos, this is important for both traction and safety reasons when off-road.

You don’t have to be in Off-road Mode to lock the rear or front diffs, but you do need to be in Low Range with the Centre Diff Locked.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7875303
I can go H/L to L/L or vice versa. Is this bad practice?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I want to use the center diff lock. but I don't know the direction to move the selector of the transfer case.
Please tell me the five directions, starting from normal, high, high lock, low, and low lock.
Thanks a lot.
That operation is
I can go H/L to L/L or vice versa. Is this bad practice?
I thought that was an acceptable practice, and often needed when towing.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That operation is

I thought that was an acceptable practice, and often needed when towing.
exactly. presuming if bad the selector wouldn't allow it.

Walter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really? Thanks for letting me know. So, to go from H/L to L/L, do you need to come to a complete stop and shift to Neutral first?
Yes. Hight to Low or Low to High in neutral and I try and change while wheels still rotating (half walling speed or less). Lock to Unlock or Unlock to Locked then can fo it on the move - I tend to be less than 20mph when doing that.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

This image is from a right hand drive manual - you have a left hand drive vehicle and operation (lock / unlock) is inverted.

Back
Top Bottom