The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

overheating transfer case

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
No, you don't have to. I've been driving off-road vehicles exclusively for more than 25 years. And I work with them too. By that I mean trailer operation. Both on muddy meadows and on motorways. And the trailer doesn't just carry compost waste, but also machines and sometimes 1600 kg of live stock.
Apart from the correct tyre pressure and looking at the engine oil temperature, I've never needed anything else and I don't use this overabundance of information on the Grenadier. None of my previous vehicles have been damaged or displayed error messages as a result. I expect the same from the Grenadier.
And by the way, I would never think of driving 160 hours/km with the Grenadier.
Towing around here in central Europe at max 100km/h is not the issue. This is what I can say from own experience: Do this also regularly with different vehicles and heavy trailer. From my own experience with the Grenadier, xfer case temps are absolutely no problem in these use cases.

Xfer case temperature rapidly rises if you go faster than 120. I have observed that, and the OP has observed that. So indeed, speed (i.e. revvs/min), possibly together with impaired cooling performance at higher speed as outlined by @Clark Kent , seem to be the major contributor to the losses / the temp rise the OP intended to discuss here (IMHO). If that's not _your_ use case: Perfect. As discussed previously, different people have different legitimate use cases for a vehicle. And please don't generally assume that people who go 160 sometimes don't tow on (many) other occasions...

Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
Good question @TD5-90

Not without testing and number crunching. Too many variables. I offered this as a contributing factor but it's not the primary problem. The cooling system has a heat dissipation rating and will be effective provided the vehicle is operated within limits. Maintaining normal temperatures while blasting down the autobahn probably wasn't a top test and evaluation criteria.

This article from the electronics industry talks about how fans, ventilation openings and enclosure designs affect mass airflow rates which are necessary for good heat dissipation. Check it out if you're having trouble falling asleep.

Remember when Clarkson struggled with airflow?
View attachment 7868553
Sounds as good of a read as and a summer favorite of Caterpillar's, "Diagnosing Overheating on Earthmoving Equipment Systems"

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Average speed on motorway is for me between 100-120km/h, not more, because RTT and other parts on the roof. at this speed the gear temp. was not more than 90degree C. At offroad driving between 74-80 C…. With all overlanding equipment weight is 3.1 To.IMG_7050.jpeg
30min on Autobahn

Last edited:

Grenatier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This morning I drove about 15 - 20 minutes at max. speed (160 km/h or 100 mph). Outside temperature at that time has been around 22 degrees Celsius.
I then got a warning "motor oil level low" (yellow warning)
I reduced speed significantly and had a look at the "offroad temperature" screen. This showed a transfer case temperature of 115 degrees Celsius which was outlined in yellow.
Motor temperature and gear box where at 95 and 78 degrees by than.
The temperature of the transfer case dropped fast at the speed of 120 km/h and the yellow outline vanished after a minute. After 10 or 15 minutes the warning "motor oil level low" vanished as well and the yellow triangle disapeared.
Has someone else had this Problem before?
To me it looks like the transfer case cooling system fails at a certain speed.

I do not want to start a discussion whether or not someone should drive at this speed over a longer period, as the speed is allowed in Germany and the motor turns only 3000 rpm at that speed. Of course it is in many ways more intelligent to drive slower.
I have also noticed. This does not appear to have occurred in any INEOS testing cycle. As you write, no problems permanently up to 135/140 km/h Unfortunately, minutes-long journeys at higher speeds are not possible. It's just something you have to come to terms with now. The car would have benefited from another 1-2 years of development and testing. Or you would have had to wait longer before buying one. At the current price, I probably wouldn't have ordered the car knowing the quality.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For most of my life I have been blissfully unaware of tyre temperature, transmission temperature, diff temperature etcetera with just a vague gauge giving engine coolant temperature.
Now I have many more things to worry about.
That's exactly what the wife says, along with " you're going to have an accident taking your eyes off the road and playing about with the different displays"

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
160km/hr in Australia would see two issues arise:
1. Crap roads and likely end up in the trees!
2. Police run you down, impound and crush car later on!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
160km/hr in Australia would see two issues arise:
1. Crap roads and likely end up in the trees!
2. Police run you down, impound and crush car later on!
Could the boys come and visit us? ;)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could the boys come and visit us? ;)
Usually in Germany I drive between 140 and 150 km/h on the motorway. I once pushed it to 165 km/h (gps speed) only as a test.

It is nice to drive that fast, but:
- gasoline consumption is insanely high
- it requires a lot of concentration as it is indeed insanely fast

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't find this to be the go-fast car. I'll drive it at 90mph but not much above, is just not the right car for higher speeds

That's also my opinion and that's how I handle it too.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Usually in Germany I drive between 140 and 150 km/h on the motorway. I once pushed it to 165 km/h (gps speed) only as a test.

You'll easily pass me at that speed. Why don't you use your toot horn? Then I'll know it was you. ;)
With a trailer, I'm in the right-hand lane at 80 km/h anyway and I'm highly focussed. If you have two bulls on your tail and they're also doing a dance, it's going to be really problematic.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't find this to be the go-fast car. I'll drive it at 90mph but not much above, is just not the right car for higher speeds
Of course it is not a car for higher speed. But who wants to judge what a higher speed is? The Grenadier handles fine at 160 km/h. At least my one. Nevertheless it has ridiculous drinking manners at that speed. My normal cruising speed is between 110 and 140 km/h on the Autobahn.
And if I go faster I probably have my reasons. The post was about the rising transfer case temperature at higher speed which obviously is interesting for some people here. It is not about individual driving manners.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely! And that's what I do most of the time.
The Gren gives you the opportunity to go faster comfortably if required (sometimes it _is_ required. Full stop.), allows easy overtaking etc. And I use this flexibility. Nothing more.
Got overtaken by an AMG G on the Autobahn with 220+ here recently. Twice. He had to stop for filling up ;-) If he thinks that's what's needed at that moment, why shouldn't he do it? He does things his way, and I take this tiny rest of freedom and do it my way. Generally, I believe you shouldn't have the idea that your own way should be the reference for others. Conversely, I don't like it when other people try to set standards for me.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

It's all about what you are used to. I don't feel stressed at 160, maybe I only drive fast when the conditions allow it. But there are many days when I enjoy cruising...

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How many Kms? It might be the Tbox isn't yet run in?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score

I can see the problem 🤔 1725069179692.jpg

Back
Top Bottom