The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenny infotainment craps the bed

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
CarPlay has worked for months, but started to get persnickety the last few days. Trouble connecting and then not connecting at all. then when trying to reconnect, the system hanging and not allowing any input or change the screen. Then, in a busy crowded airport parking lot, as I’m trying to back into a spot, the camera doesn’t show. Then it shows, but it s a picture every 5 seconds. The Aural back up warning works, but is slow- but no indications of ‘where’ in any of the graphics.

Really disappointed. Luckily I knew where I was going, but if were relying on Waze or Maps to navigate, I would have been totally screwed. With my GMC, I could do a full restart at a stop light, but that didn’t work here- even with opening and closing the door.

Parked and left it alone for 30 min. Seems a bit better, but I need to re-connect my phone. Not sure I blame IG for Bluetooth sucking, but the issue leaking into the rear-view camera and warnings is unacceptable.

Really disappointed. This has gone from Quirky to PITA.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
What's your battery level? Sounds crazy but could be just a battery issue

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What's your battery level? Sounds crazy but could be just a battery issue
Interesting. I’ll give it a look in the morning.

Also,
-Why does the IG need Bluetooth AND WiFi to connect?
-Why can’t you just do a hardwire connection?

I hate Bluetooth. I’d rather stay ‘radio silent’ and just connect by cable- I always need a charge anyways.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also,
-Why does the IG need Bluetooth AND WiFi to connect?
-Why can’t you just do a hardwire connection?

I hate Bluetooth. I’d rather stay ‘radio silent’ and just connect by cable- I always need a charge anyways.
Welcome to the modern era of wireless Carplay/Android Auto... It uses Bluetooth to negotiate the connection (and use for voice calls), however, due to the data being sent between phone and vehicle, it uses WiFi for everything else. None of this is Grenadier specific

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Welcome to the modern era of wireless Carplay/Android Auto... It uses Bluetooth to negotiate the connection (and use for voice calls), however, due to the data being sent between phone and vehicle, it uses WiFi for everything else. None of this is Grenadier specific
This is interesting to me as I was wondering how to overcome my issues….
When attempting to use google maps on Apple CarPlay after an initial cx it drops away almost instantly and will only work when I disable wifi on my iPhone 12 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’m confused as to why my phone will try and connect to the “Grenadier” LAN as a wireless cx when I know the vehicle can NOT connect to my service provider! 🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
I’m sure my language here is incorrect but perhaps someone more data savvy can help out?
I really don’t want to have to always disable wifi every time I enter the vehicle when using navigation.
Just for completeness I have not yet asked my dealer for help on this but may when I visit for water tightness updates in six or more weeks.
Cheers fellow pioneers 👍🏼

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Power seems fine.

I killed the memory of the IG on my phone (BT and WiFi) and on the IG of my phone.

Get in the car, drive for a bit, park and read manual about syncing. THe manual is less than useful.

On the IGs setting, I try to add a new phone. It comes up pretty fast. Some comments on the IGs screen and the [hone screens about enabling CarPlay. The phone and music functions work. The interesting thing is that on my phone neither the BT or the WI-FI say that they are connected to the car? The Gren is listed in the unattached devices? I turn off the BT and the music still plays. I turn off the phones wi-fi and the music stops. Turn both back on and everything works.

So I go into BT and WiFI on the phone, turn them on and add the Gren to them both and everything works.

Haven’t turned off the IG and tried it again.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
I am going to be honest. Android Auto and Carplay are as flakey as anything these days. And they never fix a thing. Random stupidity is the norm. I started dropping calls randomly in my Ram last week when a notification comes in, then the calls comes back! What on earth? So many updates, and only more headaches. The Ford system is easy to set up, but the flakiest. The IG was fairly drama free until had 3 different phones we had used and could not find the phone projecting On X off road :LOL:

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I really don’t know who to blame- Apple, IG, or ‘CarPlay’. I wish there was an app on the phone for CarPlay that would let you manage things. I hope IG puts some resources into this since they rely on CarPlay to make a lot of things work…

It seems to me that it is a sequencing thing as the IG starts up. Like it is trying to start up to many subcmputers and it gets frazzled.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score
Reset/reboot the headunit (aka Console screen).

Hold the Mute button (located at the centre bottom on the vertical panel) in until half the Console screen goes blank (do not release the button). Continue to hold the Mute button in until the whole screen goes blank. Only then release the Mute button. That will reset/reboot the headunit.

Then reconnect the phone.

See if that helps.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was interested to learn that the main screen is referred to by Ineos as the HMI (Human Machine Interface), as opposed to the smaller screen which they call the TTC (Tell Tale Controller). 🙂
Named by the IT guy. :)

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Reset the headunit (aka Console screen).

Hold the Mute button (located at the centre bottom on the vertical panel) in until half the Console screen goes blank (do not release the button). Continue to hold the Mute button in until the whole screen goes blank. Only then release the Mute button. That will reset the headunit.

Then reconnect the phone.

See if that helps.
I’m a little nervous about this but will try when I feel brave and report back 😉
I guess I need to remove my phone first from the phone options list before the screen reset? Or maybe it doesn’t matter as it’s getting the reset 🙄

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess I need to remove my phone first from the phone options list before the screen reset? Or maybe it doesn’t matter as it’s getting the reset 🙄
It's more like a reboot than a reset; it will still remember your phone... You can even do it whilst driving if you want

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back in January my Gren was delivered with a software glitch and inoperable CarPlay. The Spring ‘23 Trailer Hitch Software update finally fixed this and it has been flawless. Wireless CarPlay is simply fantastic.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How does the IG connect to the phone for CarPlay through the WIFI, if I’m in the garage, still covered by my home WiFi? Do I need to get out of the home WiFi bubble? OR there used to be a way on computers at least to prioritize networks. I don’t see that on my iPhone

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's more like a reboot than a reset; it will still remember your phone... You can even do it whilst driving if you want
Changed wording to reset/reboot.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a little nervous about this but will try when I feel brave and report back 😉
I don't think it matters, when my headunit was reset/reboot by the dealer, my phone was close to the headunit. It did not seem to matter.

Last edited:

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
Hmm, I have the same symptoms but it is my phone... It gets dropped, fails to connect, audio goes bad etc usually when it is plugged in and gets hot, sitting on the passenger seat and gets hot or I am using directions and streaming music for a long time and gets hot..

I figured out it was my phone when I had someone else in the car and connected to their phone without restarting the system and everything worked perfect.. Now I am making a point of keeping my phone cooler...

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
My Car Play setup fails about every 10 days or so, requiring me to delete vehicle and phone from each others' awareness and then a couple of power cycles and then full reconnect from scratch. Then it's good. Very good. For a while. Pain in the fücking ass.

To be fair, the only vehicle I've seen reliable Car Play persistence ... like, two years without issue ... is our Sprinter. It's a wired Car Play connection. Which I don't mind at all, because 1) less shit to go wrong, and 2) it keeps the phone charged.

I don't think the Grenadier allows for a wired Car Play connection, does it? Kind of a shame in vehicle with many "older", sensible values.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I definately would like a wired only option.

The cooling thing is something I noticed too. It hasn’t gone into protect mode at least, but heat isn’t good. I don’t have a case on my phone, so I can shove it into the air grate and add some cooling.

Back
Top Bottom