The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier winch bumper uk vs australia

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Rope is finished with a soft spliced loop sized to take our S-RING-50 which is included in the recovery kit.
A S-RING must be used to give the correct bend radius to the rope and allows for closed loop winching.
Brilliant thankyou. I better add the recovery kit then đź‘Ť

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
You'd be a fool to drive /park anywhere in Paris. Unless your car was made of rubber.
Bit harsh on Paris. Did have a motorcycle vandalised in Toulouse though.
Kicking a Ducati with Australian plates over is disrespect on top of indignity, outrageous.

I'm curious to see whether an obviously international overlanding vehicle will bring out the eco-activists, hopefully not.
Typically locals want visitors to leave with a good impression and save their worst behaviour for each other.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
may I notice that the normal way to park a car differ a lot between the European countries. There are some in which a car is something to use and there is Germany (and maybe more countries) with a splendid insurance universe where every scratch is worth a million!
Italy is nuts and France not far behind

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rope is finished with a soft spliced loop sized to take our S-RING-50 which is included in the recovery kit.
A S-RING must be used to give the correct bend radius to the rope and allows for closed loop winching.
How is the end of the winch line attached to the snatch ring in this example?
Screenshot_20221215_110114.jpg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Brookers78 a few posts back you said " Yes the front crossmember is very different for the ECE models and ROW.
Sorry..I must have missed something ...what do the acronyms ECE and ROW represent pls? :unsure:
cheers
DM

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Brookers78 a few posts back you said " Yes the front crossmember is very different for the ECE models and ROW.
Sorry..I must have missed something ...what do the acronyms ECE and ROW represent pls? :unsure:
cheers
DM
Presuming this is EEC (European Economic Community) and Rest of World…

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am a real newbie when it comes to winches. I don't know about the terminology, various components and the techniques. Can anyone point me to an idiots guide to winching/recovery?

In particular could someone explain the practical implications of the load rating?
In my case I was thinking of adding the front tow hitch (which I can see us, especially the wife whose talents don't include spatial awareness) to move the horse trailer/van etc, and carrying a removable winch as backup when touring. What I don't get is, if the integrated winch is rated at 5500kg and the rear is 3500kg what does that mean in practice if the car has a GVM of 3550 or is fully loaded to the GCM of 7000.
Does it mean you have to unload etc get the vehicle mass down close to the winch rating before attempting a self recovery?

Thanks in advance

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7797894
Like this??????? why are we not getting a ring, now we have to get a factor55 hook before we can use our 3.5L winch .
G
View attachment 7797894
Like this??????? why are we not getting a ring, now we have to get a factor55 hook before we can use our 3.5L winch .
good point. This means we need two rings. One for the end of the winch line and another instead of a snatch block to be used as a snatch ring when using a double line pull

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's a very old image and the winch rope in that set up has a hook on the end.
No problem ~ I just looked at the product you recommended above and that's a screenshot from the video on your website on the 5T snatch ring page.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am a real newbie when it comes to winches. I don't know about the terminology, various components and the techniques. Can anyone point me to an idiots guide to winching/recovery?

In particular could someone explain the practical implications of the load rating?
In my case I was thinking of adding the front tow hitch (which I can see us, especially the wife whose talents don't include spatial awareness) to move the horse trailer/van etc, and carrying a removable winch as backup when touring. What I don't get is, if the integrated winch is rated at 5500kg and the rear is 3500kg what does that mean in practice if the car has a GVM of 3550 or is fully loaded to the GCM of 7000.
Does it mean you have to unload etc get the vehicle mass down close to the winch rating before attempting a self recovery?

Thanks in advance
In practice if using the winch for self recovery, you will be driving as well to help reduce strain on the winch and unless hanging off the side of a cliff you won’t be pulling the full weight of the vehicle. A snatch recovery ring could also halve the load. I hope my explanation helps. But I’ll add a link to explain further. As I’m not that good at explaining things in writing only in practise. 👍

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7797894
Yes, I’m also puzzled by this. Two things:
  1. How is the loop neatly stowed against the fairlead? The example at my drive day was swinging off a recovery point by a carabiner, with 30cms or so exposed.
  2. If no winch shackle is provided surely the loop would be finished with a thimble, permitting the use of pin-retained shackles.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
Here is en example of a double line pull to halve the load. This was a vehicle I recovered whilst in the highlands of Lesotho last yearCB9A6576-B57B-47FB-9C93-FF65C7D42F12.jpegA5AB4C76-B80A-4591-B5EE-F276D2CC6A38.jpeg7F4F0BB5-8377-4D70-96E3-0EC4E4F38178.jpeg

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
thanks logsplitter. I'll look into the link you posted. I think I get it, This doubling spreads the load onto the chassis and the winch? I note the rocks to help anchor the vehicle.

In short my plan to use the front tow plate and a removable winch is a valid if not perfect approach to getting out of trouble.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
thanks logsplitter. I'll look into the link you posted. I think I get it, This doubling spreads the load onto the chassis and the winch? I note the rocks to help anchor the vehicle.

In short my plan to use the front tow plate and a removable winch is a valid if not perfect approach to getting out of trouble.
That guide is just what I needed! Thanks again

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mind that tow bball they can be lethal.
Agreed. I purposefully attached to the main bracket of the tow frame not the tow ball. I had a good check to make sure it was a solid mount. Even so, not a perfect recovery. I should have put a winch blanket or improvised one on and possible opened my bonnet. Always try to help out where I can I’m a great believer in what goes around comes around.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
This guy explains technicals quite well imo

Back
Top Bottom