The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia Grenadier Delivery & Wait Times in Australia.

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
Just checked on the WW site and found my car listed to depart Zeebrugge 28/12 and ETA Freo on 7/2. A Month later than in @Fidei Defensor's list. Schedule must have been updated since he done his search
Hi Shippa, I just looked and mines the same. It was 8th Jan all week and now has changed to 7th Feb.
After customs, PDI, accessories and rego, it will be March by the time we can pick them up!

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I picked up my car today, was rather happy it was now a reality and the eternal wait over.

Reservation: Sept 2021

Was enjoying drive home when my vehicle threw an engine temp warning alert on both the centre console and driver console. Within approx 20 seconds the warning went to critical on both consoles and the engine power was taken away…I then limped to the side of the road on a major Sydney arterial.

Fans in the engine bay were going ballistic.

It’s currently 25 deg C in Sydney and I didn’t even make it home on the first drive.

I’ll go through the motions of support etc, but you can guess my trust in the specific vehicle I just picked up is shattered. I certainly hope it’s a false positive, even that should never ever happen in my books, period.
I was in the process of just checking the coolant levels. Courtesy of this forum I was able to locate the coolant reservoirs quickly (there are two, either side of the engine bay at the back).

The Black cap (low temperature I believe) reservoir has coolant. The Blue cap (high temperature) reservoir is bone dry.

I can’t see any leaking of coolant hoses, all look dry and sealed ok.

edit: temperature reservoirs, not pressure.
That is very disappointing. Hopefully Ineos Australia supports you and checks the engine thoroughly, injectors out and a borescope inspection of the cylinder walls. Without any coolant leaks and your explanation the car has the symptoms of a cooling system that has not been completely bled of air.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
That is very disappointing. Hopefully Ineos Australia supports you and checks the engine thoroughly, injectors out and a borescope inspection of the cylinder walls. Without any coolant leaks and your explanation the car has the symptoms of a cooling system that has not been completely bled of air.
I had not even thought of that scenario (i.e not bled of air completely) - thanks @NQ94

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Without any coolant leaks and your explanation the car has the symptoms of a cooling system that has not been completely bled of air.

or more likely, bled then (accidentally) not re-filled? Human error…

Shippa

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Shippa, I just looked and mines the same. It was 8th Jan all week and now has changed to 7th Feb.
After customs, PDI, accessories and rego, it will be March by the time we can pick them up!
We should pick up at the same time. Appears to be 17 cars for Freo on the Theben. Hopefully Sherwin has streamlined the PDI by then

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I had not even thought of that scenario (i.e not bled of air completely) - thanks @NQ94
We had similar problems when I worked on buses and coaches with under floor engines.. When we replaced the engines the cooling system would not bleed correctly. We used two solutions, Volvo trucks and buses and some M.A.Ns had a point at the bottom of the radiator to pressure fill the system at the radiator or lowest point or we would fill them normally through the fill point then we would run them in the workshop and gently drive around with no radiator or high pressure cooling system caps until the header/coolant tanks got hot continually topping the coolant. When the header tanks were hot this was a good sign the cooling system had no air in it and it was generally safe to go for a full road test with radiator cap fitted on the free way (in QLD Australia). This is the best method for the field or at home. The other solution was to vacuum fill the system which was a pain on large cooling systems, it involved filling the system then fitting a tool then we could introduce a vacuum to the cooling system and hopefully pull the coolant through the system and the air to the header tanks ensuring the system was totally full of coolant.
I still use the gentle run method with no radiator cap to fully bleed air from a cooling system to this day with the large industrial CAT and MTU engines in earthmoving equipment. It is time consuming but quiet effective and reliable and generally the most effective method for the home mechanic.

Last edited:

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I rang the Ineos roadside assistance number this evening. More of a ‘let’s see how this goes‘ on my part.

Third party, as expected, the person logging the call had never heard of the Grenadier but took my details and dispatched a roadside tech who turned up about 90min later. First one he’d seen, and had never had any training on the vehicle.

Verified there were no coolant leaks and it’s a flat bed truck for my vehicle on Monday back to the dealer. Funny thing, one of the reasons I avoided the ‘new’ Defender was to avoid the flat bed truck scenario.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to @MrMike, the new motor is aboard the Morning Composer. The ship just left Santander Spain on its way to South Africa, Port Melbourne and finally Port Kembla. Scheduled to arrive in early January 2024.

Based on my data, INEOS are beginning to reduce the delays, from order time to delivery.

Ordered 17 March 2023.
Contract signed 5 Sept 2023.
Chassis No: 7,719.
Loaded onboard at Zeebrugge on 9 November.
Scheduled to arrive at Port Kembla 6 January 2024.

All going well delivery late January to mid February.

Last edited:

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey mates, maybe this will sweeten your waiting time for a second:

The estimated delivery date in my Ineos account is October 2023, the status is "contract signed".

My car dealer informed me on October 11 that the status for my Gren in his system was "final assembly completed". On November 06, he informed me that the status was "On route to retail partner".

Well, the distance from Hambach/France to the car dealer's location is approx. 160 km/100 m, 80% of which is on the German autobahn. So where is the Gren?

I assume that after "final assembly" the car is disassembled into thousands of parts, packed into small boxes, handed over to one or more parcel services and shipped in small quantities to the car dealer who then has to reassemble the car - formerly known as PDI.😇

In case that someone gets a LHD Trialmaster Diesel MM in down under...please let me know.;)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey mates, maybe this will sweeten your waiting time for a second:

The estimated delivery date in my Ineos account is October 2023, the status is "contract signed".

My car dealer informed me on October 11 that the status for my Gren in his system was "final assembly completed". On November 06, he informed me that the status was "On route to retail partner".

Well, the distance from Hambach/France to the car dealer's location is approx. 160 km/100 m, 80% of which is on the German autobahn. So where is the Gren?

I assume that after "final assembly" the car is disassembled into thousands of parts, packed into small boxes, handed over to one or more parcel services and shipped in small quantities to the car dealer who then has to reassemble the car - formerly known as PDI.😇

In case that someone gets a LHD Trialmaster Diesel MM in down under...please let me know.;)
That's not PDI, it's CKD - complete knock down. ;)

LR used to ship vehicles that way so maybe IA took a page out of JLRs playbook 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: IGL

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
VW too... in the 1960's. My kombi was assembled in Melbourne.

20 odd vehicles arriving Freo 24th Nov, from what I can tell (mine included)... WA Chapter thread (@Nocrays) seems to suggest that the software upgrade has not been extensively rolled out in Aus yet - is that true?

I'd rather not pick my car up until this upgrade is done in full. Anyone else?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

20 odd vehicles arriving Freo 24th Nov, from what I can tell (mine included)... WA Chapter thread (@Nocrays) seems to suggest that the software upgrade has not been extensively rolled out in Aus yet - is that true?

Ask the dealer about timing for the update, they will do it.

Reactions: Sam

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Some Australian dealers may have upgraded the head unit to Ver xxxxx1946... my local blokes are not inclined and told me that Ineos Australia are not satisfied with the upgrade offerings to date and are holding off ...their concern re. updating the headunit alone (in the absence of a compelling reason) is that to be properly effective, its update is also dependent on the update for other ECUs .... the order and manner in which network updates are carried out is often a complex business ... (as the recent national network outage experienced by Australian forum members with Optus mobile and ISP accounts can readily attest!!) .

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Some Australian dealers may have upgraded the head unit to Ver xxxxx1946... my local blokes are not inclined and told me that Ineos Australia are not satisfied with the upgrade offerings to date and are holding off ...their concern re. updating the headunit alone (in the absence of a compelling reason) is that to be properly effective, its update is also dependent on the update for other ECUs .... the order and manner in which network updates are carried out is often a complex business ... (as the recent national network outage experienced by Australian forum members with Optus mobile and ISP accounts can readily attest!!) .
denisM,
Do we here in Oz know just what elements this long awaited upgrade effect? I suspect my remaining fuel/range estimate may be bit off the mark and suspect that may need a software touch up. Last time I was in the UK they drank thier beer by the pint and paid via decimal currency. They were sort of half dipping their toe in the conversion waters.

Reactions: Max

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
denisM,
Do we here in Oz know just what elements this long awaited upgrade effect? I suspect my remaining fuel/range estimate may be bit off the mark and suspect that may need a software touch up. Last time I was in the UK they drank thier beer by the pint and paid via decimal currency. They were sort of half dipping their toe in the conversion waters.
Sorry Bushguide... that's all the info I've been able to gather. The fuel gauge/distance to empty is an issue "across the board". At one stage I added 60L when the gauge showed 'exactly' 3/4 "full". Other times a 3/4 "full" took 40L to shut off the pump ( same local servo/same pump).🤷‍♂️

I asked a close friend and former colleague (now retired) who is a true world expert on "networked sensors" :ninja:
His almost immediate reaction was to the effect, that the most likely culprits were that the network was too crowded;
(Like when you try to select the "off road" menus on the head unit and it asks you to "please wait"....it should be instantaneous!!)
that the "timings" associated with various sensors needed review on a "priority" basis (by way of example only: the fuel level sensor might be pulsed 100 times a second thereby taking up bandwidth and this might interfere with the steering pump trying to get its status recognised , is rejected and so throws a warning light..which further clogs the system. The fuel level pulsed once every 5 seconds might be sufficient.) He also noted wryly that the chipsets initially specified on cost/performance were probably now underspecified for the job expected... where have we heard that before... :unsure:

Last edited:

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In any case, i'm sure its fiendishly complicated.

I trust Ineos to sort things out/optmise - it's in their best interests as much as it ours.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
denisM,
Les, we’ve studied that indicator somewhat and ours is off to the tune of 70-100km.

We have however found the fuel tank % remaining (under Vehicle Information) and the fuel guage itself to be accurate down to 10% fuel remaining (haven’t found a reason to take the testing any further than that). We treat that 10% threshold as the floor.

It is by multiplying this percentage by the average fuel consumption that we arrive at the above position on the remaining range calc. All a bit imprecise as so much depends on speed/payload/surface conditions etc.

Not sure how the guage would perform if you’re on fumes though.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My Fiat 1100D , my LR S3 , Mercedes W111s and 108s...the list goes on!

Reactions: Sam
Back
Top Bottom