The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
expeditionhq.com.au down under is both a dealer and installs lifts. I wonder what they're seeing.
However, they are (I would imagine) primarily installing the RoW springs not the US 2.5" lift springs

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Hi all- I am still thinking a lot about the crashed prop shaft drom Logsplitters car ( on a non lifted Grenadier) and others cases, where the „rubber“ is falling apart at liftet cars.

I do not want to start a technical discussion and for sure a more straight/flat angel of the shaft is better or more foregiving…..
However, I believe is is to easy to say it is „a general prop shaft issue“ when it comes to liftet cars.
First- obviously some cars non lifted showing the same topic.
Second - taking into consideration how many Grenadiers are lifted and put it in context to the so far known cases…..for sure it is not a „general problem“ - at least not from my point of view.

Since I have a under body protection and I was on vacation, I couldn‘t check the shaft properly. Now, after being back home I have checked it with an endoscope camera. After 40.000 km, 25.000 with a lift of 40 mm and using the car frequently in rather harsh conditions (dust, mud, through woods) the thing looks like new. See fotos below.
So- are we sure the root cause is the lift….or the lift alone?
Oh- on a highway I am rather turtle speed driver…..100-110 km/h….
Just food for thought….. and because it is a lazy su day 😂😂👍Image_2024-09-01 18_24_09_680.jpegImage_2024-09-01 18_23_27_183.jpegImage_2024-09-01 18_24_29_033.png

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Let's be honest, Pittsburgh might as well be located in Wisconsin, relative to Kennett Square - I mean, there's at least a 3-hour portion of the drive through (what those of us from South East PA call) Pennsyl-tucky separating the two places (no offense to anyone from the great state of Kentucky). I don't want to speak for @Zimm , but he probably meant to mention that PA is home to the best and oldest US brewery (Yuengling), the world's greatest guitar builders of all-time (C.F. Martin & Company), the nations favorite gas station/hoagiefest (Wawa), and the best university (Penn State University - We are! @Krabby) - note, none of which are considered Western PA nor WI institutions.

Now that I've set that record straight, back to broken front drive shafts!
WAWA needs to offer hambergers before 4pm! Sheetz has them beat! ;) ☺️

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
Hi all- I am still thinking a lot about the crashed prop shaft drom Logsplitters car ( on a non lifted Grenadier) and others cases, where the „rubber“ is falling apart at liftet cars.

I do not want to start a technical discussion and for sure a more straight/flat angel of the shaft is better or more foregiving…..
However, I believe is is to easy to say it is „a general prop shaft issue“ when it comes to liftet cars.
Second - taking into consideration how many Grenadiers are lifted and put it in context to the so far known cases…..for sure it is not a „general problem“ - at least not from my point of view.

Since I have a under body protection and I was on vacation, I couldn‘t check the shaft properly. Now, after being back home I have checked it with an endoscope camera. After 40.000 km, 25.000 with a lift of 40 mm and using the car frequently in rather harsh conditions (dust, mud, through woods) the thing looks like new. See fotos below.
Just food for thought….. and because it is a lazy su day 😂😂👍View attachment 7868851View attachment 7868852View attachment 7868853
That cable or pipe looks very close to that CV joint. Keep an eye on that 👍🏼

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score

Just food for thought….. and because it is a lazy su day 😂😂👍View attachment 7868851View attachment 7868852View attachment 7868853
What size tires are you running?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

What underbody protection don you have?

gulfcoastgrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you’re on the stock springs. Eibach makes both the lift and stock springs. The lifted springs are Silver colored.
Good to know. I searched and saw all the lifted springs were usually not orange but wasn’t sure. I do now notice it’s raked forward some, so probably not lifted. Still learning after 28 hours of ownership ha!

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry for your predicament but I'm glad to hear yours will be covered. I have the 2.5 lift and 33s. I'm in Houston as well. Guess I will be crawling under mine tonight or tomorrow as I'm headed to Ft. Worth for a week and towing a trailer. BTW, those wheels look great.
Well.. got under mine last night. Everything looks fine, no sign of unusual wear. I'm only at 3000m about half of which is with the lift and tires. I love having a vehicle I can just slide under without jacking it up. I was under there with a flashlight for 15 minutes just looking at stuff. My wife couldn't understand.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
I measured the angle between the driveshaft and pinion on mine with no lift, and it was a bit under 10 degrees. I used the face of the bolts to measure the pinion angle, so not super accurate but close enough. The angle is high because the pinion is pointed down, I assume so that it’s parallel with the transfer case which sits higher at the front. This makes sense for a standard two u-joint shaft, but I wonder why Ineos chose to do this with two CV joints. The angle would be less severe with the pinion pointing up towards the transfer case. My old D2 was like this, but it has a double cardan shaft.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
That is actually much more reasonable than what I was told a customer paid to have one replaced by Triad
Is that price including the 2 CV joints?

Back
Top Bottom