The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front drive shaft broken

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:23 PM
Reaction score
See original post above for updates
Great result... and thank you for the update (y)
As a matter of interest : Were you able to drive from Corinna to Launceston with the CDL activated towing the van or was it a (double) tray back recovery?

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

Outlander

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great result... and thank you for the update (y)
As a matter of interest : Were you able to drive from Corinna to Launceston with the CDL activated towing the van or was it a (double) tray back recovery?
It was a tow job, it may have been possible to remove the drive shaft and drive, but I don't know if this would have caused more damage and/or void warranty. Also there was a section of the drive that was a dirt road that may have allowed dust to enter??? If there was an emergency I would had removed it but not required in this case.

Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
Looking at the photos there could be two reason for that type of CV jointed drive shaft to fail like it has. The circlip has not been seated in the grove correctly at assembly or the splined slip joint on the drive shaft does not have free enough movement placing excessive load on the circlip when the shaft extends with suspension movement.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if "the flying spanners" could be activated? A call to Ineos Melbourne HQ might be warranted ( if you can find the elusive phone number... 😉 )
1800 819 605. What is interesting is I had an engine alert light on and rang my agent, he asked where I was and checked his agent map to find the closest in the Central Coast NSW which happened to be Port Macquarie. He asked how it was driving and it was fine no silly noises or smells, shutters or the like. I asked what would happen if I rang roadside assist, and he said they would send a flatbed tow truck and the driver would take it to the agent at Port. I drove there on my way home back to Sunshine Coast Qld and they turned it off...funny that ;)

At the end of the day, it had something to do with the adblue alert sending out signals that it shouldn't and is to be fixed in a software update

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
How is that propshaft removed?
Undo the torx bits?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1800 819 605. What is interesting is I had an engine alert light on and rang my agent, he asked where I was and checked his agent map to find the closest in the Central Coast NSW which happened to be Port Macquarie. He asked how it was driving and it was fine no silly noises or smells, shutters or the like. I asked what would happen if I rang roadside assist, and he said they would send a flatbed tow truck and the driver would take it to the agent at Port. I drove there on my way home back to Sunshine Coast Qld and they turned it off...funny that ;)

At the end of the day, it had something to do with the adblue alert sending out signals that it shouldn't and is to be fixed in a software update
Ah Ha! so the Ineos Roadside Assist number above is also the IA HQ in Melbourne?
Thanks Max for the 'heads up' on the AdBlue sensor.(y)

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Ah Ha! so the Ineos Roadside Assist number above is also the IA HQ in Melbourne?
Thanks Max for the 'heads up' on the AdBlue sensor.(y)
I just checked and that number is attached to the roadside assistance paperwork...no flying spanners just a truck to take you to the spanners :D

Local time
Reaction score
For those who do their own work, modifications or break things that void warranty and are looking for alternative spare parts solutions outside of Ineos the Rzeppa CV joints used in the drive shaft looks to be identical to the ones used by Jeep. TerraFlex sells a high angle aftermarket alternatives. Spicer is known to keep to standard sizes for universal joints and drive shaft couplings that are supplied to the aftermarket and OEMs. Photo from the Dana Aftermarket. Spicer CV joint drive shaft parts.png

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
For those who do their own work, modifications or break things that void warranty and are looking for alternative spare parts solutions outside of Ineos the Rzeppa CV joints used in the drive shaft looks to be identical to the ones used by Jeep. TerraFlex sells a high angle aftermarket alternatives. Spicer is known to keep to standard sizes for universal joints and drive shaft couplings that are supplied to the aftermarket and OEMs. Photo from the Dana Aftermarket. View attachment 7845197

The Jeep guys replace there factory driveshafts with stronger double carden style shafts.
https://4xshaft.com/collections/jeep-wrangler-jl-products/products/jl-rubicon-rear-drive-shaft-1410
https://4xshaft.com/collections/jeep-wrangler-jl-products/products/jl-rubicon-rear-drive-shaft-1410

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, so my front drive shaft came off today done nearly 14000 km.

Wasn't doing anything outrageous, just happened to be taking off (slowly while towing) when there was a loud bang and then I couldn't drive forward or reverse without locking the centre diff. The front drive shaft has come away at the rear end of the shaft.

Will let you know what happens with the repairs.

Edit 1. For those who are mechanically-minded (not me) the circlip is still intact, there is some damage to the shroud where the drive shaft meets the transfer case, from what I can see. I will know more in a few days once it gets looked at.

Edit 2. Initial diagnosis looks like the transfer case has seized which caused the drive shaft to brake, this all still needs to be confirmed though! So far the process has been great, the dealer has been in contact with Ineos and now we will see how it goes.

It seams that there has been a recall for transfer cases on some vehicles, I believe that mine was outside this range (built too early) but this has not been confirmed, and I haven't received any recall notice.

Edit 3. After a full inspection the transfer case is fine (not sized), it looks like the circlip failed which caused the jack shaft to come out. A new shaft is being flown to TAS (the only one in the country) I should be back on the road tomorrow or the next day.
I've had very good dealings with Buckley's motors in Launceston, and appreciate them fitting me in. Well done guys!

Edit 4. So the drive shaft has arrived but there is damage to a coolant line that needs to be replaced, this has pushed out the vehicle to be ready next week.

Edit 5. For reference it's been 2 weeks and 2 days since the incident and I just got my Grenadier back. The coolant line took some time as there wasn't a replacement so it needed to be made (as is my understanding) and they needed to fit me in.
While it was a bit longer than expected I'm glad I have it back and grateful it could be seen at short notice. Thanks
Hi @Outlander ive just had the same problem when the rear Cardan joint in the front prop shaft snapped but unfortunately this caused the prop shaft to smash into the gearbox causing untold damage to the gearbox and loss of transmission oil.
Edit this one. Gearbox OK but damaged oil cooler lines due to flailing prop shaft! An easier and quicker fix though. !

Last edited:

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, so my front drive shaft came off today done nearly 14000 km.

Wasn't doing anything outrageous, just happened to be taking off (slowly while towing) when there was a loud bang and then I couldn't drive forward or reverse without locking the centre diff. The front drive shaft has come away at the rear end of the shaft.

Will let you know what happens with the repairs.

Edit 1. For those who are mechanically-minded (not me) the circlip is still intact, there is some damage to the shroud where the drive shaft meets the transfer case, from what I can see. I will know more in a few days once it gets looked at.

Edit 2. Initial diagnosis looks like the transfer case has seized which caused the drive shaft to brake, this all still needs to be confirmed though! So far the process has been great, the dealer has been in contact with Ineos and now we will see how it goes.

It seams that there has been a recall for transfer cases on some vehicles, I believe that mine was outside this range (built too early) but this has not been confirmed, and I haven't received any recall notice.

Edit 3. After a full inspection the transfer case is fine (not sized), it looks like the circlip failed which caused the jack shaft to come out. A new shaft is being flown to TAS (the only one in the country) I should be back on the road tomorrow or the next day.
I've had very good dealings with Buckley's motors in Launceston, and appreciate them fitting me in. Well done guys!

Edit 4. So the drive shaft has arrived but there is damage to a coolant line that needs to be replaced, this has pushed out the vehicle to be ready next week.

Edit 5. For reference it's been 2 weeks and 2 days since the incident and I just got my Grenadier back. The coolant line took some time as there wasn't a replacement so it needed to be made (as is my understanding) and they needed to fit me in.
While it was a bit longer than expected I'm glad I have it back and grateful it could be seen at short notice. Thanks
Thanks for sharing all the edits. Was all that covered by warranty if I may ask?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Outlander ive just had the same problem when the rear Cardan joint in the front prop shaft snapped but unfortunately this caused the prop shaft to smash into the gearbox causing untold damage to the gearbox and loss of transmission oil.
How many miles have you done now? Probably quite hard miles too.. That’s 3 that we know of now I think.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How many miles have you done now? Probably quite hard miles too.. That’s 3 that we know of now I think.
It's a bit concerning, out of warranty in a few years time would be mega expensive.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can some one please describe where this circlip is? Is it inside the transfer case or can we pull the shaft off to check / replace it?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I’m on about 19/20k miles.
Some miles were hard but most not and it is built for purpose When the vehicle is at the dealers next week I can get an understanding of what went wrong and I’ll keep you all informed. No good guessing too much as too what caused it and then bad rumours going around.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Most of the joints have a ring on the end of the shaft. Not so much of a circlip, just a spring clip that engages when you give it a good shove, getting it out again is just another firm tug.
I suppose the check is to give the joint a firm push towards the t box to ensure the clip has engaged.

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
For those who do their own work, modifications or break things that void warranty and are looking for alternative spare parts solutions outside of Ineos the Rzeppa CV joints used in the drive shaft looks to be identical to the ones used by Jeep. TerraFlex sells a high angle aftermarket alternatives. Spicer is known to keep to standard sizes for universal joints and drive shaft couplings that are supplied to the aftermarket and OEMs. Photo from the Dana Aftermarket. View attachment 7845197
I'll be checking the compatibility this weekend. My front driveshaft is already removed(failed Rzeppa) and the girlfriend has the Hi angle Rzeppa installed (by me, couple years back) on her Jeep. So I can at least take measurements with some calipers. fingers crossed!

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I’m on about 19/20k miles.
Some miles were hard but most not and it is built for purpose When the vehicle is at the dealers next week I can get an understanding of what went wrong and I’ll keep you all informed. No good guessing too much as too what caused it and then bad rumours going around.
I’m on 24k now, due another service! This sounds like it’s a simple design / manufacturing error, maybe only affects a handful of vehicles. I’d still like to be able to check it though. Just to be sure. Its nice to know that its not a weak shaft but more of a simple small component issue..

Back
Top Bottom